Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Torchlight = Spotlight

Torchlight = Spotlight
RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:44 PM

They keep nicking my ideas! Cool. Steve-O, just ask and I'll tell you what I think of those widgets.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 07:49 PM

I got another idea in keeping with the whole big cats, jungle and Safari thing. It's called Torchlight.

Basically it allows you to work in the dark with laptop screen brightness set to almost zero. It shines a sphere of light, like a torchlight, around the area you are working on only while leaving the rest of the screen dark (though not totally). So the light would appear around either mouse or text cursor. It should be configurable too. Adjust the brightness of torchlight, the raduis of the torchlight and the darkness of the unlit areas. It should also be activated with one key press or shortcut.

Before one asks what is the purpose for this feature I will explain. Some people use their laptops on fieldjobs in the dark. This feature not only saves battery power by illuminating just a section of the screen but also helps keep their work discreet. Others use their laptops on planes and other public areas and don't want people snooping over their shoulders and reading the contents of their whole screen.

It's basically the same as using a small light when reading a book or writing. To work properly it might need some hardware implementation because current LCDs aren't able to reduce the brightness of parts of the screen while highlighting other parts.
Well it's ALMOST the same thing
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:00 PM

Nice try RooneyX! hehehe

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 09:54 PM

Wow, I'd really like that idea.

However, that's a hardware design issue... to truly save battery life, you'd need to be able to turn on/off the backlight behind each individual pixel (or small grouping of pixels). This isn't doable right now... but for safeguarding data, yes, it's a neat idea.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

I use the app formerly known as NightVision X to not get blinded by the display at night. It's useless for color correction, but for websurfing without being blinded, it works.

Combine it with Corner Click and you've got an easy to implement solution.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules