Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is iDVD a piece of crap?

Is iDVD a piece of crap?
slimmy
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 11:55 AM

Am I wrong, or is iDVD a buggy, slow, useless piece of crap?

Just installed it in a PBG4 1.5 GHz and can't get any work done. Takes forever to import, move, do anything - spinning ball is there all the time.

This is iDVD 4.01.

Slim

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 01:21 PM

simple answer: No

a few other hundredthousands users don't experience any of your problems.

maybe somethings wrong with your system ;-) ?

what kind of video do you try to import - internet downloads, perhaps? ;-)

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 03:44 PM

I don't use it that often, but I haven't ever had a problem with it. It does make me want to get DVD studio pro, though

slimmy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 03:59 PM

Actually, small videos of my 3 yr. old boy. Funny thing is, DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Express run wonderfully on same machine.
I'll use them, I guess. Just curious as to why iDVD runs so badly. I have 30GB of free disk space, all permissions repaired, ran Cocktail etc.

Slim

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by slimmy:
Actually, small videos of my 3 yr. old boy. Funny thing is, DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Express run wonderfully on same machine.
I'll use them, I guess. Just curious as to why iDVD runs so badly. I have 30GB of free disk space, all permissions repaired, ran Cocktail etc.

Slim
Personally I could not agree more. Version 2 and 3 were fine pieces of software for the most part, but 4 is quite possibly the buggiest software I've ever used. I've NEVER gotten it to work without some kind of hassle. And this is on three different machines and fresh installs.

And before you guys start talking about hundreds of thousands using it without trouble, you should take a look around all the support sites and forums (including this one).
-Grover
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

boardsurfer
Jul 19, 2004, 07:08 PM

Version 4 seems extremely slow to me. Very long pauses between my clicks and any response. No crashing or bugs per se, just incredibly frustratingly slow.

17" iMac 800, 768MB.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 05:13 AM

I've got a question, I'm getting an error, when it starts to burn the actual dvd. (Its fine up to stage 4.)

It says a burning error. It mentions media, but it also mentions program memory. I did have some programs open. Is the program trying to tell me it needs more memory?

( Last edited by blackbird_1.0; Jul 20, 2004 at 05:32 AM. )

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 08:01 AM

According to Apple you can only use DVD-R media with iDVD 4.

Apple article: Use only DVD-R discs

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 02:40 AM

According to Apple you can only use DVD-R media with iDVD 4.
I think that's because iDVD only works with the superdrive, and the superdrive only accepts DVD-R at the moment. iDVD is a great application though for people who are computer illiterate and up. I haven't noticed any errors or slowdowns with it.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 10:08 AM

iDVD meets most of my needs (iMovie does as well), to the extent I don't need to spend money on DVD Studio Pro. I think some people look down upon because it is so cheap (@$30 with education discount) or it came with the system, however it's been great for me.

It takes a while to do a DVD once I've designed the DVD, especially since I'm doing it through a PB to external hard drives, and burning on an external (firewire w/Pioneer) burner, but I just plan it so it's before I goto bed, or when I'm not going to be using it for around 4 hours (that seems to be the average time for a 2hour movie).

If I was using an internal burner with iDVD, along with SATA drives, I'm sure it would be a bit faster, but I don't do that many.

Forum Links
Forum Rules