Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Connecting two computers by ethernet, one running OS X, the other running OS 9

Connecting two computers by ethernet, one running OS X, the other running OS 9
bezoar
Aug 13, 2004, 08:09 PM

I need help with connecting my Powerbook G3 running OS X to my B/W G3 running OS 9.04 by ethernet connection. I had no problem with this when both machines were using OS 9.

As it is now, I cannot mount the OS X powerbook onto the OS 9 G3. When I enter my username/password in OS 9s Chooser, I immediately get a message saying something like "the connection has quit or failed" every time.

However I have managed to mount the OS 9 machines hard drive onto the OS X powerbook successfully. The problem I encountered there is that when I copy files from the OS X machine to the OS 9 hard drive, the speed is insanely slow. Yet copying files vice versa (from the OS 9 comp. to the OS X comp.) is at the normal ethernet filesharing speed!! Argh, please help me figure this out!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 09:59 PM

A little more information is needed. Which OS X version on PowerBook G3 ? Why are you not using at least 9.1 or 9.2 on that B/W ?

Is the OS 9 Mac using the ' Use TCP/IP " check box on ? That isn't the exact syntax, but you should be able to find it. Sounds as though it is, based on the speed copying to the OS X box.

Does this connect to a hub/switch or router? This sounds like a typical ethernet speed negotiation problem. Slow bidirectional file transfer, but fast or normal in one direction.

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 10:20 PM

I'm afraid I've migrated from OS9 entirely (scary, isn't it? I should set up a performa or 8500....), but last I tried, OS X was able to instantly talk to (AFAIR) System 6 or 7 using appletalk over a performa localtalk bridge, impressed the hell out of me.

Check a dump of the traffic to see which machine is resetting the connection. Check your firewall rules as well.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Mattia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 05:40 AM

just follow these instructions:
1. On OSX computer go in the System Preferences->Sharing->Internet and push the start button
2. On OS9 open the TCP/IP panel, and select Ethernet and manually:
IP 192.168.2.x where x>1 the 1 is the OSX IP
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.2.1
Ind Name Server 192.168.2.1
Now try with a browser and see if it works, if you want to download Emal you must stop the OSX firewall in the System Preferences-->Sharing->Firewall panel
Mattia

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 07:44 AM

A great reference (IMNHO) http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/

This has also worked for me:

1. On both the OS 9 and OS X machines, ensure File Sharing and Apple Talk are enabled. In OS X, Apple Talk is in both the Network preferences pane and in Directory Access (Applications/Utilities).
2. From the OS 9 Chooser, connect to the OS X machine.
3. From the OS 9 machine, make an alias of the OS 9 HD and drag that to the OS X HD (later you may relocate it as you determine best).
4. Go to the OS X machine and double click on the alias you just made.

In theory, both machines should now be able to file share with each other.

You may also add the new OS 9 alias to your Start Up items so that the next time you restart, voila! (fast and no mucking about with Go/Connect to Server). Should you wish, you can also launch the OS 9 alias by going to Go/Recent Folders.

And finally, you may add the OS 9 alias to "Favorites" (or whatever pleases you) in the OS X Sidebar.

Of course, the above may not work for everyone, but for my system (DP 800 G4, OS 10.x and a Lombard G3 PB, OS 9.2.2) connected via Graphite Airport, this approach has been both reliable and trouble free.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Mattia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 09:49 AM

sorry I misundrestand the question
Mattia

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 02:42 PM

[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

bezoar  (op)
Aug 15, 2004, 03:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far!

Some necessary details:
- the Powerbook is running 10.2.8.
- I had a reason for not updating the B/W G3 to 9.1 or 9.2 but I've since forgotten it. I use an old version of Cubase on it so I think it was a stability issue with it that I didn't want to mess with. Why should I need to update in order to fileshare?
- on the OS9 G3 the 'use TCP/IP' option in filesharing is unchecked.
- not using a hub or router, it's a simple crossover cable going from one port to the other.

Now onto the progress I've made with your collective help:

1) re: mounting the Powerbook OSX HD onto the OS9 G3 - success! I don't know exactly what did it, however I did notice that I had the TCP/IP control panel turned off in Extension Manager so I turned that on and restarted. Entered my user/pass in Chooser and it worked! Fast copying speed going in either direction, just as it should be!

2) re: mounting the OS9 G3 HD onto the OSX Powerbook - mounting is no problem, this works just as before. however, when I drag a file on the OSX machine onto the OS9 HD icon it still has the extremely slow speed (I'm talking 4 MB file, estimated time 20min!). Going the other direction is normal ethernet filesharing speed.

This isn't that big of a deal because as documented above I can now get fast copying speed both ways with method #1. Out of curiosity, I still would like to know what the deal is with method #2 not copying at the same speed in both directions and if there is a possible fix for it.
( Last edited by bezoar; Aug 15, 2004 at 03:12 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules