Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone buy the iPod Shuffle just for the hell of it?......

Anyone buy the iPod Shuffle just for the hell of it?......
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 09:00 PM

Just wondering if anyone bought one of these just cause its apple's newest product, or if you think it's cool, the low price, or if you're just a tech junkie...

Do you already have a iPod? If so post your reasoning for purchasing one of these....

I really like it and all but i have a ipod 4g 20gig.....if i worked out or went to the gym i'd probably get one to take advantage of the flash memory and no skip.

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 09:13 PM

I ordered the 1gig to compliment my 30gig iPod. I have been looking for a good flash player for running and was contemplating the Rio Forge or the Nike/Philips players. This shuffle is perfect for me.
(and yes, yes, yes yes to your first 4 questions)
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 09:15 PM

i have been thinking about getting the $99 shuffle - already have a 4G 20gb & 1G 5gb(that doesnt have much life left in it) - but it would be killer to use working out imo

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 09:18 PM

Have a 20 GB 3rd G iPod and wife has a U2 iPod. Want to get the 512 MB one for working out and as a FLASH DRIVE. Awesome.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 09:26 PM

My wife will be starting a new job on Monday. She'll be taking the streetcar to work and I am seriously considering getting her one as a little present. Come to think of it, I think I will just head over to the Apple store right now
( Last edited by Mastrap; Jan 12, 2005 at 09:40 PM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Want to get the 512 MB one for working out and as a FLASH DRIVE. Awesome.
Exactly. I'm also intrigued by using it to listen to podcasts.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I'm also intrigued by using it to listen to podcasts.
Who do you listen to?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 09:43 PM

Is this the cheapest Apple product ever?

Not counting keyboards and mice and stuff?

I'm tempted to buy one and I don't even know why. I have a perfectly fine 3G iPod that I use every day. Still, at $99 bucks it's temping me for some reason. I tried to convince my GF that she would want one, but she didn't bite. She's anti-technology.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 10:22 PM

Yeah, my wife is the same way. Anti-technology. I'm a gadget junkie. I might get one, and I have absolutely NO use for it. I quit running a year ago, I don't use my iPod that much (although it is a good device), and I doubt I'd listen to it much. But still, what a cool product!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
I'm tempted to buy one and I don't even know why. I have a perfectly fine 3G iPod that I use every day. Still, at $99 bucks it's temping me for some reason. I tried to convince my GF that she would want one, but she didn't bite. She's anti-technology.
Buy one for her. Put music she likes on it, teach her to press play.

She'll get bored of the music on there after a few weeks and ask you 'hey how do I put more music on this'. Just plug it in, show her how it copies a new set of music automatically then she can unplug.

Note for technology + girlfriends: Always show them one simple thing first, don't let geeky thrills excite you to show them every feature in 5 minutes or they will not like it.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 10:51 PM

I am selling my 15 gig iPod and bought a 1 gig mini today.

I don't like my 15 gig at all.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 11:02 PM

I'm thinking about getting the 512MB model for the gym. I have a 20GB 4G model which I love, and that's part of the reason I'm thinking about getting the iPs. I can stick it in my pocket at the gym and not worry about dropping it. I have a couple of playlists just for the gym and I can put those on the shuffle and it'd be perfect. Damn Apple always getting me to give them my money!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 11:07 PM

Anyone worried about forgetting it in a pocket and having it run through the washer?
I, ASIMO.

Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Anyone worried about forgetting it in a pocket and having it run through the washer?
The thing that sold me was that neck strap so I am never putting it in my pocket.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Who do you listen to?
Only Leo Laporte right now (R.I.P. TechTV), but I'm sure I'd listen to more with this.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 11:48 PM

Yep. With the education discount on the 1 GB, it was just too tempting not to. I wonder if I'll even bother using my 40 GB anymore, since the Shuffle is just so damn small.

Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Yep. With the education discount on the 1 GB, it was just too tempting not to. I wonder if I'll even bother using my 40 GB anymore, since the Shuffle is just so damn small.
I am replacing a 15 gig with it as it turns out I just listened to shuffled songs and only about 200 of them at best anyway.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 11:56 PM

hey! anybody want to sell me their old iPOD??? PM ME!

Zach

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 12:01 AM

Last night at the gym, I dropped my 3G 20 gig twice while on the elliptical. I felt like a total boner, no to mention the stess of thinking I killed my pod. So I just took the leap and bought two 1 gig iShuffles for me and the old ball and chain. In addition, I got her the arm band, not for me though. We usually go to the gym at the same time, so sharing one device wouldn't work. I also picked up a version of iWork for the hell of it. I can't wait till the goodies get here!

BTW, 15 months ago I got my wife a 128 mb nike (phillips) mp3 player. It has had the same songs on it for a year (since i went to OSX full time). There is no way to update w/o windows or os9. Anyone interested in purchasing it to defray the cost of my latest purchase?
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 05:08 AM

Out of interest, how much is a 512MB flash drive generally in the US? The Shuffle can't cost that much more can it?

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
BTW, 15 months ago I got my wife a 128 mb nike (phillips) mp3 player. It has had the same songs on it for a year (since i went to OSX full time). There is no way to update w/o windows or os9. Anyone interested in purchasing it to defray the cost of my latest purchase?
I was looking at the Nike Philips player but waited for the Apple flash player.
I found this link for info on how to use the Nike player with OS X.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
I did exactly that with my 256Mb Iomega USB Flash drive. It went through a complete wash cycle.

Didn't work when I plugged it in, but I left it a few weeks, tried again, and it worked! No problems since.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Out of interest, how much is a 512MB flash drive generally in the US? The Shuffle can't cost that much more can it?
To answer my own question I looked on newegg and the vary from $40 to $60 dollars, so the iPod shuffle seems good value, especially when you look at this 512MB flash drive which is... $99!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 06:57 AM

Technically, no one NEEDS an iPod shuffle. But I ordered a 1GB model for the gym and also for the commute to work when I take the subway. I have a 60GB iPod photo and a Mini as well. Probably sell the mini or give it to my Dad.
I also like the fact that it can be used as a flash drive and the price was quite reasonable.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 08:05 AM

I've been meaning to buy a flash drive for a long time to keep random crap on and for transferring documents quickly to Windows machines which I sometimes have to do.

This looks like a great way to buy a flash drive and get a lot of extra functionality, for not a lot of extra cash.
http://www.yongfook.com

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 13, 2005, 08:12 AM

The price is right fosho. I would go for the 1giger for sure, but before I decide, I'd like to play with it at the shop. I wish it had a display however. Shuffling is as useful to me as a (insert useless thing here).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 09:17 AM

I wish iTunes Music Store would get with The Washington Post Express and release an audible news every day (I would even forgive them if they wanted to throw in some ads).

I'll be picking one up this weekend.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I wish iTunes Music Store would get with The Washington Post Express and release an audible news every day (I would even forgive them if they wanted to throw in some ads).
Give them time. They started adding NFL game highlights.

If not, there's always audible.com. A membership is cheaper than via iTunes. You can get an audiobook and magazine subscription for a good price. I used to listen to the NYT daily on my commute but switched over to the weekly Troy Aikman show during the NFL season.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

The real question... 512 or 1GB? I'm leaning towards the 1GB because of the Flash storage, but my current computer doesn't have USB2, so it's going to be rather slow to transfer files.

Any idea how long it would be to transfer a full GB?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 10:14 AM

One thing I've been trying to do is stop burning CD's for my car. My 1st gen ipod is always in my brief case, so it can be a pain to get it out if I forget it when Im first leaving the house. I think I'm going to get a 512 shuffle just for the car. Update it once a week and completely stop burning CD's...
Joe

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 10:26 AM

The real question... 512 or 1GB? I'm leaning towards the 1GB because of the Flash storage, but my current computer doesn't have USB2, so it's going to be rather slow to transfer files.

Any idea how long it would be to transfer a full GB?
Unless I am doing something wrong, USB 1.0 is 12mbps USB 2.0 is 480mbps

USB 1.1 would be: 11 minutes
USB 2.0 would be : Less than one minute

According to: http://download.stormloader.com/

That would be best case scenario and it also depends on what speed the media can handle.

There are plenty of cheap USB 2.0 PCI cards that work with mac.
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 10:33 AM

My only real concern is the battery life. Without an indicator, it's hard to know what left. Having said that, I want to buy one, but I'm worried they'll be sold out when I go tomorrow.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by powerbook867:
One thing I've been trying to do is stop burning CD's for my car. My 1st gen ipod is always in my brief case, so it can be a pain to get it out if I forget it when Im first leaving the house. I think I'm going to get a 512 shuffle just for the car. Update it once a week and completely stop burning CD's...
What would you use to connect the iPod shuffle to the car? Radio?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 10:49 AM

AB^2=BCxAC, the shuffle has a battery light on the back under the Off/Shuffle/Play in Order switch.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 10:51 AM

Question: Will the iPod shuffle use iSync to sync your calendar/address book? I'm assuming it will, but it doesn't specifically say it on the website.

It does say it for the iPod and iPod mini.

-Q-
Jan 13, 2005, 10:54 AM

What would you use to connect the iPod shuffle to the car? Radio?
Probably a cassette adaptor (or if his stere has it, an aux port) would work best. I've never had a radio transmitter work well for me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
Unless I am doing something wrong, USB 1.0 is 12mbps USB 2.0 is 480mbps

USB 1.1 would be: 11 minutes
USB 2.0 would be : Less than one minute

According to: http://download.stormloader.com/

That would be best case scenario and it also depends on what speed the media can handle.

There are plenty of cheap USB 2.0 PCI cards that work with mac.
Thanks... considering I would fairly fill the thing... I think I can wait 10 minutes... but would look in to a cheap USB 2 card.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 11:22 AM

Question: Will the iPod shuffle use iSync to sync your calendar/address book? I'm assuming it will, but it doesn't specifically say it on the website.

It does say it for the iPod and iPod mini.
Why? No screen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Why? No screen.
If you have more then 1 computer... and don't have .mac

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
My only real concern is the battery life. Without an indicator, it's hard to know what left. Having said that, I want to buy one, but I'm worried they'll be sold out when I go tomorrow.
That's what I was thinking. I'm miffed by the no screen thing BUT, apparently, the battery indicator isnt total crap:

on the back is a tiny little led incorporated into a button with a battery icon.

press it and it will display a colored light.

green = good battery life
amber = low battery life
red = very low battery life
unlit = you are screwed, recharge now you musicless monkey!

so apparently there is some sort of status. I would like a tiny lcd (smaller than those one liners) that is big enough for a battery display only. That woulda made it tons better imho. Then again, I charge my ipod 3g fully auto every night when i get home, and take it out every morning, so i doubt charging the shuffle would be an issue.

what's keeping me on my seat is .. with a 3g ipod, should i buy another one? I mean ... the appeal is there, but I'm not crapping money right now =(

If only apple would lend me one for a week or two to see how often i would use it and if it would make me totally neglect the ipod 3g

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 12:48 PM

I agree that Green, amber, red isn't very descriptive regarding battery life, but I'm sure you can estimate.

Arguably, the iPod shuffle should make it through all the songs on the 1GB model per battery charge.

14 hour battery* (assuming you fully charge it)
240 songs * 3 to 3.5 minutes per song = (840 to 720 minutes) or 14 to 12 hours.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 12:50 PM

I got a cassette adapter for Christmas. 10 dollars and it works great.
Joe

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 12:52 PM

I'm thinking of getting a one gig version myself even though I have a 3G 30 GB.

I realized like Starwars guy that I rarely do something different than play one playlist. Though the UI is much better on the regular iPod, if I don't use it, it doesn't do much for me. Also, my 3G is starting to lose battery life (it's about 19 months old and lasts about 6 hours). The shuffle would just be a lot better for working out and how I've used my iPod. I don't know if I'll actually go through with it, I'm not sure I'd get too much for my 30 gig.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 12:57 PM

My wife will be starting a new job on Monday. She'll be taking the streetcar to work and I am seriously considering getting her one as a little present. Come to think of it, I think I will just head over to the Apple store right now
nothing like riding the rocket and listening to tunes.
I think I'll get one for aflash drive and working out.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 01:31 PM

I agree that Green, amber, red isn't very descriptive regarding battery life, but I'm sure you can estimate.
Well the normal iPod only has like 4 states for the battery meter, so it's not that much worse to have 3 on the iPod Shuffle.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Well the normal iPod only has like 4 states for the battery meter, so it's not that much worse to have 3 on the iPod Shuffle.
And the colors should be easier to see at a glance (especially against the white).

hayesk
Jan 13, 2005, 03:05 PM

My cell phone has three levels of battery life. It's just the standard battery icon cut into three pieces. I charge it when there's one piece of battery left.

If (when) I get an iPod shuffle, I'll charge it on red.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
nothing like riding the rocket and listening to tunes.
I think I'll get one for aflash drive and working out.
Is "riding the rocket" shorthand for taking the streetcar or are you implying that's what Mas's wife will be doing when she is listening to the FlashPod.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 03:18 PM

i just created a playlist in itunes with all the songs in my library that have been played 10 or more times, and there are 230. so there are 230 songs in my library that i listen to a lot. 1gb shuffle takes 240 (minus a bunch for a data partition). works for me.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

I want one for sure myself. I use a 1st gen iPod now, use it everyday when ever I'm driving anywhere. The Shuffle is small, compact, simple, light, and easy to use, something I can use while working instead of having the big clunky iPod attached to the belt or in my pocket.

Now what would be even cooler if the next gen iPods would be able to dock with the iPod shuffle and allow you to change what you have on it if your on a trip and away from home and have both with you.
( Last edited by IFLY2HIGH; Jan 13, 2005 at 04:49 PM. )
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules