Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ilife and iwork half baked ?

ilife and iwork half baked ?
loren s
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 01:13 AM

I got to test out the suites and I have this feeling Apple half baked the apps.

Reasons:

iWork
Keynote: .swf really does not copy everything over as one would think, like major transitions and text.

iWork: It's so called HTML export is just awful. It gives out decent code style and uses CSS but the pages are just a mess when rendered in html. And text boxes are turned into images of text which is a web page building no no when it comes to basic content text.

ilife
iPhoto: Very nice but it is starting to get to much in it, I like all of the new stuff but I have this feeling that it is getting to many tools..(weird)

iMovie: Effects are just the same old thing. I thought iMovie would be getting the nice Dashboard treatment like iphoto. I also thought that the effect would get a major over haul and use some of the Motions systems to render the effect in realtime on the larger screen instead of the that small preview window.
Even just making Ken Burns effect nicer and faster instead of having to wait till it renders the effect

iDvd, iTunes did not test, not big on idvd and itunes is already out.

Now I do not hate apples for this stuff, but to me it seems that they did not even test this out with a focus group testers.. Any thoughts ??

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 01:50 AM

iphoto 5 is really fast even on my old b/w g3 with 400mhz g4 upgrade. For a long time i finally can use iphoto again on this computer ( i switch to iview media pro since iphoto was slow after i got over 1000 photos)

I updated my resume using pages and it is really fun and easy to use. I have not play around with the others, so i can't give you any more feedback. But i do find pages and iphoto 5 really good.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by loren s:

Reasons:

iWork
Keynote: .swf really does not copy everything over as one would think, like major transitions and text.

You need to remember that flash doesn't have the power of Quartz. The .swf output is amazing if you keep that in mind. This gives novice users the ability to create cool little flash files... I think that's amazing.

iWork: It's so called HTML export is just awful. It gives out decent code style and uses CSS but the pages are just a mess when rendered in html. And text boxes are turned into images of text which is a web page building no no when it comes to basic content text.
Well, considering Microsoft, Quark, Adobe can't make a perfect layout/word to html converter, what made you think Apple could do it. I think it's more of a "see, we can do it also" type of feature. I'm not really surprised that it's not that great. I with it would have been better, but considering it's not the main reason to use the application, I can overlook it.

ilife
iPhoto: Very nice but it is starting to get to much in it, I like all of the new stuff but I have this feeling that it is getting to many tools..(weird)[/quote]

I respect our opinion, but I'm happy to see new features. For those of us that have thousands of photos, I say every new feature is a happy new feature.

iMovie: Effects are just the same old thing. I thought iMovie would be getting the nice Dashboard treatment like iphoto. I also thought that the effect would get a major over haul and use some of the Motions systems to render the effect in realtime on the larger screen instead of the that small preview window.
Even just making Ken Burns effect nicer and faster instead of having to wait till it renders the effect
I agree, but at the same time, it's just an upgrade.

Now I do not hate apples for this stuff, but to me it seems that they did not even test this out with a focus group testers.. Any thoughts ??
Well, many people will be very happy with the new iDVD stuff, and yes, iTunes is nothing you can't get for free.

Considering it's an $80 upgrade, I'm happy with the upgrades.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 23, 2005, 04:40 AM

1) Keynote: Flash import not great? OK but, flash export seems more useful.

2) Notes: HTML export? Yeah, it needs work, but it's not a deal killer.

3) iPhoto: 5 is the first usable version of iPhoto. 4 and below are basically useless for real image management IMO. I hope iPhoto 6 adds the few extra features I want to make it even more usable.

Lothlorien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by loren s:

Reasons:

iWork

ilife
iPhoto: Very nice but it is starting to get to much in it, I like all of the new stuff but I have this feeling that it is getting to many tools..(weird)

Does Pages have password protection, or is MS Word the only choice if you require the document to be protected?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 08:19 AM

I'm really disappointed with the overall performance of Pages. I have an 867MHz Powerbook and an 800Mhz iMac and both Word v.X and TextEdit work fine on them. Things such as highlighting text and even typing the text itself, both seem very sluggish and un Apple-like. TextEdit is a lightning rod and extremely snappy and perfect, even on a 233Mhz iMac! What's up with Apple? Did they not use TextEdit technology/code in Pages?

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 23, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
I'm really disappointed with the overall performance of Pages. I have an 867MHz Powerbook and an 800Mhz iMac and both Word v.X and TextEdit work fine on them. Things such as highlighting text and even typing the text itself, both seem very sluggish and un Apple-like. TextEdit is a lightning rod and extremely snappy and perfect, even on a 233Mhz iMac! What's up with Apple? Did they not use TextEdit technology/code in Pages?
It looks like Pages uses a completely custom written text engine, it has many different text selection behaviors, and it doesn't even anti-alias text properly (it can't seem to handle sub-pixel smoothing).

natural1
Jan 23, 2005, 09:34 AM

iPhoto 5 still sucks - spinning beachball ALL the time! Constantly grinding disk when iPhoto 5 is working! Slow, buggy, junk! I've only got 3000 photos in my library and I'm running a G5 DP 2.0 with 1.5GB of RAM - you'd think that it would be enough power to make an Apple application run quickly, huh? I can't even imaging what this would work like on a Mini - what a joke! Apple will lose market share by releasing this crap to the world unless they get a 5.01 revision out quickly!

Hierarchical folders are nice, but only when they don't lock up the application! Hey Apple - make sure your new software works before you send it out the door!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
It looks like Pages uses a completely custom written text engine, it has many different text selection behaviors, and it doesn't even anti-alias text properly (it can't seem to handle sub-pixel smoothing).
Please post a screenshot of some text with sub-pixel anti-aliasing turned on with the same text in Pages and TextEdit. Maybe use Apple Chancery font so that we can also see advanced ligatures in comparison.

Thanks in advance!

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by natural1:
iPhoto 5 still sucks - spinning beachball ALL the time! Constantly grinding disk when iPhoto 5 is working! Slow, buggy, junk! I've only got 3000 photos in my library and I'm running a G5 DP 2.0 with 1.5GB of RAM - you'd think that it would be enough power to make an Apple application run quickly, huh?
G4 1.33ghz 784mb here, 8000 photos in the library - works just fine for me. Snappy (tm), even.
http://www.yongfook.com

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 10:50 AM

iPhoto 5 still sucks - spinning beachball ALL the time! Constantly grinding disk when iPhoto 5 is working! Slow, buggy, junk! I've only got 3000 photos in my library and I'm running a G5 DP 2.0 with 1.5GB of RAM - you'd think that it would be enough power to make an Apple application run quickly, huh? I can't even imaging what this would work like on a Mini - what a joke! Apple will lose market share by releasing this crap to the world unless they get a 5.01 revision out quickly!

Hierarchical folders are nice, but only when they don't lock up the application! Hey Apple - make sure your new software works before you send it out the door!
I gave up on iPhoto shortly after Picasa came out. It's much snappier. I tried it on an old P233 laptop (with 32mb RAM) that I had lying around and it worked at about the speed that iPhoto 4 does on my iBook 600 (with 640mb RAM). On a more current machine, Picasa screams.

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 23, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Please post a screenshot of some text with sub-pixel anti-aliasing turned on with the same text in Pages and TextEdit. Maybe use Apple Chancery font so that we can also see advanced ligatures in comparison.

Thanks in advance!
Here you go

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 11:05 AM

you gotta be kidding, right?

I don't think you have a dual g5 nor play with iphoto 5.

It works on my b/w g3 and 768 mb ram, and it sucks on your g5?

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
you gotta be kidding, right?

I don't think you have a dual g5 nor play with iphoto 5.

It works on my b/w g3 and 768 mb ram, and it sucks on your g5?

well, obviously BS.
look at his post count.

12" PB 1.33/ 1.25 GB ram/ 6,000+ photos

iphoto5 is great

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Here you go

Weird. Why doesn't it do the sub-pixel anti-aliasing?

There's little text in your example, so I can not tell whether it does the advanced typographic features Apple Chancery offers. Does it?

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 23, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Weird. Why doesn't it do the sub-pixel anti-aliasing?

There's little text in your example, so I can not tell whether it does the advanced typographic features Apple Chancery offers. Does it?
If you mean stuff like an "x" that looks different if it's the end of a word, yes, Pages handles that fine as well.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
well, obviously BS.
look at his post count.

12" PB 1.33/ 1.25 GB ram/ 6,000+ photos

iphoto5 is great
I try not to judge people on their post count, but when it's their first post and an anti-Apple one... it does throw a shadow of doubt on their iPhoto issue, especially after so many have said it's a great upgrade.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 12:46 PM

I noticed an immediate speed improvement with iPhoto 5 - it also crashed on me once, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY faster than scrolling film rolls in 4 - quite a nice upgrade, the book layout is beautiful, and with the new prices, I think I will finally order a few books, at least the small ones, just to have around the house (show off the kid!).

If you are running a G5 DP and iPhoto5 is slow - there is something else wrong.

I am using a SP 1.4 G4 on a 100Mhx bus, and it's snappee!

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

natural1
Jan 23, 2005, 12:46 PM

Uh - yeah, I'm running a DP G5 with plenty of RAM and iPhoto 5 works very poorly on my system. What, do you need me to post an export of my System Profile and a screenshot of the beach ball to prove it? Ha!

I guess that it's easier for you guys to deny the veracity of someone's post rather than deal with the issue at hand - that iPhoto 5 runs like crap on my system. I would guess that you are probably both a couple of Apple cheerleaders/apologists, always ready to deny the possibility that Apple's products may be less than perfect. If so, grow up and step into the real world. Let's face it - iPhoto has been sub-par since V.1 and has always been plagued with performance issues forever (I'm not the first to notice this).

I hope that someone at Apple support may be able to help resolve the issues I am having, but until then iPhoto 5 sucks in my experience. At least Garageband 2 runs well � 8-track support is a great addition, so I don't feel like my $79 was totally wasted.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 23, 2005, 02:06 PM

Are you running other stuff in the background? Maybe try a reboot? I dunno. Note you may get more help if you're a little more diplomatic in your posts.

With 1 MB RAM and a Cube 1.7 GHz, iPhoto 5's speed with 1700 photos (mostly 8 megapixel) seems pretty good. I haven't been getting beachballs either, but I haven't done a lot of testing of the editing yet.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 02:17 PM

I hope that someone at Apple support may be able to help resolve the issues I am having, but until then iPhoto 5 sucks in my experience. At least Garageband 2 runs well � 8-track support is a great addition, so I don't feel like my $79 was totally wasted.
Garageband runs better for you than iPhoto 5?

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 02:40 PM

natural1:

Are you looking for a solution to your problem, or do you just want to whine about how iPhoto sucks blah blah blah?

There is definitely something messed in your config. No way iPhoto runs that slow. A crappy 600 G3 at school ran iPhoto 4 faster than iPhoto 5 on your G5. I would recommend perm repair, mac janitor, reboot, reinstall iLife, etc.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 02:41 PM

I'm on a Dual 800 Quicksilver with 1gb ram and a 1GHz 12 inch Powerbook G4 with 768megs of RAM and iPhoto runs great on it. I've got close to 3500 photos on my Quicksilver and it loads MUCH faster than iPhoto 4 did with that many images even the rotate feature works faster.

I'm impressed with iMovie and iDVD upgrades, I like that new feature in iDVD where you can import right from your DV camera right to DVD. That to me is pretty nice. Same typ of feature in iMovie. you can import right from your camera, it'll throw some transitions in and then export to iDVD. pretty slick. both also seem to load faster than their previous versions too. Haven't played with Garageband yet so I can't tell ya.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 03:36 PM

Uh - yeah, I'm running a DP G5 with plenty of RAM and iPhoto 5 works very poorly on my system. What, do you need me to post an export of my System Profile and a screenshot of the beach ball to prove it? Ha!

I guess that it's easier for you guys to deny the veracity of someone's post rather than deal with the issue at hand - that iPhoto 5 runs like crap on my system. I would guess that you are probably both a couple of Apple cheerleaders/apologists, always ready to deny the possibility that Apple's products may be less than perfect. If so, grow up and step into the real world. Let's face it - iPhoto has been sub-par since V.1 and has always been plagued with performance issues forever (I'm not the first to notice this).

sweet, my iBook owns your G5.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 03:51 PM

i am not an apple cheerleader. If you are really using Dual G5, there's must be something wrong with your system or you are a truly B.S.

I upgraded to iphoto 4 and it went poorly on my system and that was why the reason i switched to iview media pro. But iphoto 5 is a totally different story, even i can use the book layout option on my crappy b/w g3 with a 400 g4 mhz upgraded processor.

dual 2ghz and crappy performance? give me a break!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 03:54 PM

Again, Natural1, its not that we are "apologists" - I am saying (and so are MANY people here) that lesser systems run iPhoto 5 nicely, you seem to have a killer system, which should easily handle it - so the conclusion many draw here is that there is something wrong with your config.

I would recommend starting with opening the activity monitor - something is probably chewing up processor cycles if iPhoto is crawling like that, check what it is.

Try a logout/login - sometimes i find that helps end some processes that you didn't know were running.

I am not simply an Apple cheerleader - I agree, earlier versions of iPhoto were so slow as to be unuseable - iPhoto4 improved this, but did not fix it entirely. I have found iPhoto 5 to be a big improvement, though more speed would always be better.

Again, if my 1.4Ghz G4 with 1 Gb Ram is snappy for Iphoto5, I would be more anxious to find out whats wrong with your system than to claim the software is crap...its actually quite nice-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2005, 06:41 PM

Hi Natural ...

General Sluggishness? Follow these steps ...

1. Repair Permissions .. especially Before and After any Update.

Close all files and applications on the disk you want to repair. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select "Macintosh HD" in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions."

Use this app to run cron scripts and consider installing it to run automatically.
Macaroni .. Just Set It and Forget It!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9633

2. Repair Disk .. about once a month. Also before any major OS upgrade (Jaguar to Panther to Tiger)

(A) Boot from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD. Put CD in drive, wait for it to show up on the desktop, then go to upper left of screen under the Apple menu and choose restart. Immediately hold the "c" key down until you see the apple logo.

(B) When the Installer window opens, select Installer > Disk Utility from the Apple� menu bar.

(C) When the Disk Utility window opens, select "Macintosh HD" in the list on the left.

(D) Select the First Aid tab on the right

(E) Select the "Repair Disk" button on the lower right of the screen.
If errors are returned repeat this process 2 or 3 times until they are gone.

If you still get errors then you will need to use a third-party disk utility to repair your Mac OS X boot volume, such as Alsoft� Disk Warrior�

If you are repairing disk as part of a monthly maintenance program ... you can do it without the install disk by doing a "Safe Boot".

Start up in Safe Mode .. this will run the "Repair Disk" utility.

Be sure the computer is turned off.

Now press the power button.

Just after you hear the startup tone (NOT BEFORE), press and hold down
the shift key.

Now release the shift key when you see the start up screen with the gray
background with the Apple logo and the progress indicator.

During the startup, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave the Mac OS X Safe Mode just restart your Mac normally, without
holding any keys during the startup period.

3. Still Sluggish .. empty caches with
Cache Out X
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9538

4. For more info see ...
Mac OSX Speed Troubleshooting
http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html
Tiger 10.4.8

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 11:35 PM

iPhoto 05 speed tips...

Resize the thumbnails so there 5 per row (this is at 1280 res)
Turn drop shadows off...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 10:29 PM

iPhoto 5: A G4 processor or faster is required for advanced editing

and yet Photoshop CS runs fine on my G3 600mhz iBook

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
iPhoto 5: A G4 processor or faster is required for advanced editing

and yet Photoshop CS runs fine on my G3 600mhz iBook
Heh...looks like I'll be sitting out of this upgrade. Maybe Uncle Steve is trying to hint at something?

Forum Links
Forum Rules