Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .pdf files Adobe views fine, Preview cant see some text?

.pdf files Adobe views fine, Preview cant see some text?
cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 11:04 AM

I've found in downloading .pdf statements from A.G. Edwards, and (I think) in one other context that I can't remember, that the downloaded .pdf cannot be viewed properly in Preview.app, but only in Adobe Reader.

Basically, in Preview I get what looks like a blank statement (with letterhead and some column headings, minor graphics and the like, but no transaction text). In Adobe Reader, I get all that stuff, but I can see transaction text as well.

What gives?

Has Adobe recently added some "feature" that allows only their reader to view some .pdf content?
cpac

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Has Adobe recently added some "feature" that allows only their reader to view some .pdf content?
Yes, Adobe introduced a compression type in Adobe 6.0 that is proprietary and requires Adobe Acrobat or Reader 6.0 or later to view. An example is version 1.6 of the PDF reference available here "compressed using Acrobat 6.0 compression for faster download" according to Adobe. Try opening it in Preview.

Luckily (one of my company's products is a PDF to text, html, or rtf converter), most people don't use this compression. Definitely a pain though when it comes up.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 12:32 PM

saddino...

Will your company's conversion process include the text that doesn't *show* in Preview ?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 01:00 PM

Ok, follow-up - any Tiger kids know if Preview will handle this compressed text in its next incarnation?
cpac

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
saddino...

Will your company's conversion process include the text that doesn't *show* in Preview ?
No, unfortunately it can't. My guess is that Adobe isn't willing to license their proprietary compression b/c they want people to download and use Acrobat and Reader. I'm actually surprised it took so long for them to figure out a way to "lock in" users to their products.

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by saddino:
No, unfortunately it can't. My guess is that Adobe isn't willing to license their proprietary compression b/c they want people to download and use Acrobat and Reader. I'm actually surprised it took so long for them to figure out a way to "lock in" users to their products.
I'm curious whether this sidesteps whatever licensing agreement Apple has with Adobe in integrating the .pdf format into OS X...
cpac

slimmy
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 09:31 PM

Bloody idiotic on Adobe's part, since a PDF should be a PDF... I'd thought the whole point was to have docs everyone could view. But you have to use Adobe's (free) reader to view them? Bloody idiots...

Slim

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 03:30 AM

That's pretty screwed over. . . I guess Adobe resents the fact that OS X essentially obviates their PDF software. Perhaps SJ needs to take out the boomstick.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 05:02 AM

Preview can't view plain old PDF forms either, in 10.3. So there are lots of PDFs that you need Acrobat for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules