Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The little things you may not know about Tiger...

The little things you may not know about Tiger... (Page 2)
badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 03:28 PM

does anyone know if you can play animated gifs in preview still? there's no option? :X

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 03:55 PM

Stuffit Expander is not included with Tiger. But that's not all: if you have Stuffit installed already, the Tiger install REMOVES IT without telling you. At first it took me awhile to figure out that it was gone, just because years of Mac-using experience had made me thing "Well, of COURSE it has Stuffit Expander installed." I had to download Expander from stuffit.com just to be able to unstuff files I'd already had on my computer.

(I did an Archive and Install, by the way.)

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 03:57 PM

It didn't REMOVE it from my system. It DID move the framework to /Previous Systems though... so unless you Upgrade to Tiger you will have to reinstall Stuffit

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

I had to reinstall Stuffit, as well. If they didn't (stupidly) require their own framework, we would have no problems.

The Preview slideshow I mentioned earlier is also available in the Finder. Just highlight a bunch of images, right-click on them, and select "Slideshow" from the contextual menu.

dancrane2
Apr 26, 2005, 04:34 PM

My questions is this....did the upgrade to v10.4 on the Printer Setup enable users to modify use the apple laser printers like they were able to using the Laser Printer Utility in Classic? It's obviously not a big item, but I still have to use classic to look at settings on my 16/600ps and it annoys me to still have to have classic installed for 1 little utility.
"Measure Twice, Cut Once....."
Daniel G. Crane II

adam1185
Apr 26, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
The multiple files inspector is handicapped by the fact that it can't add spotlight comments to multiple files.
I guess thats where automator comes into play

aesart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:45 PM

Back last year, when Tiger was demonstrated to the developers, they dazzled the crowd by showing a find edges effect applied ON THE FLY to a video of cars racing around a track. I would assume that this is Core Video, and have any of you guys who have Tiger and Final Cut Pro/Express tried to see if there�s a difference in the render speed?

noka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:52 PM

I have noticed that the requirements for Final Cut Studio are 10.3.9 or 10.4.... there must be some optimization based on the new OS.... hopefully

These features look awesome! Just hoping all my current apps will run as well as (or better than) they run now...

madgunde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
You can select a word (or words) in any application and right-click to:

1. Search Google.
2. Search Spotlight.
3. Look it up in the built-in Oxford Dictionary.
Also, if you go to the Dictionary.app preferences, you have the option (among others) to have it open a "Dictionary Panel" instead of the Dictionary app when choosing the "Look Up in Dictionary" contextual menu option. This is a small popup that appears immediately under the selected word and shows the Dictionary or Thesaurus entry (this can be toggled with a small pop-up menu). There is a "More�" button which will launch and display the entry in the Dictionary.app program if you want.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by madgunde
Also, if you go to the Dictionary.app preferences, you have the option (among others) to have it open a "Dictionary Panel" instead of the Dictionary app when choosing the "Look Up in Dictionary" contextual menu option. This is a small popup that appears immediately under the selected word and shows the Dictionary or Thesaurus entry (this can be toggled with a small pop-up menu). There is a "More�" button which will launch and display the entry in the Dictionary.app program if you want.
This is the same pop-up panel that appears when you highlight a word then hit Control-Command-D...

murk
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by bmedina
The Preview slideshow I mentioned earlier is also available in the Finder. Just highlight a bunch of images, right-click on them, and select "Slideshow" from the contextual menu.
Does this work in iPhoto?

pascalpp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 05:55 PM

if you activate the dictionary panel by hiliting a word and then pressing cmd-ctrl-D, you can then keep holding down those keys and drag around the page. the dictionary panel will follow your cursor, doing instant lookups of any word you point at.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 07:03 PM

Ooh! No need to highlight a word first. Just have the cursor over a word then command-control-d.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bmedina
I had to reinstall Stuffit, as well. If they didn't (stupidly) require their own framework, we would have no problems.

Hmm... see, the application itself was removed, though. I found no trace of it at all on my machine. Nothing in Previous System except its pref file. On my machine, Stuffit just disappeared.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 08:14 PM

With Tiger, the only thing you need Stuffit for is .sit, .sitx, and .bin files. Everything else is handled by a builtin decompressor.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:25 PM

Major new feature

Users now no longer need any 3rd party applications at all, to swap the command and option keys. This is ultra useful in those who use PC USB keyboards on their Macs, and even more relevant to Mac mini users who do not have a bundled keyboard. No more keeping up to date with uControl, DoubleCommand or the Logitech/Microsoft software. The user also has the option of playing around with the control and capslock keys.

Regarding Stuffit

Originally Posted by alephOne
Hmm... see, the application itself was removed, though. I found no trace of it at all on my machine. Nothing in Previous System except its pref file. On my machine, Stuffit just disappeared.
On my computer, I did an Archive and Restore too. The Stuffit Expander and DropStuff applications were still left in the Applications:StuffIt Standard 9.0 folder. However the Expander application would quit straightaway after launch. I suspect a �extension� or whatever it�s called under OS X was needed, so just reinstalled using an installer from the Aladdin site.

Regarding Spotlight
The hotkeys are configurable in the Preference Panes too. There are separate ones for the drop down menu, and standalone window.

Jabber
Yea, Jabber is a known feature. But I didn�t know anything about it, so I am including it here. Now, I can use iChat for MSN, ICQ and Yahoo! users too.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
With Tiger, the only thing you need Stuffit for is .sit, .sitx, and .bin files. Everything else is handled by a builtin decompressor.
A built in decompressor handles RAR, ARJ, uuencoded files, and .hqx files? You sure?

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by tigerish
hover you mouse curser over a word and hit command-control-d and a little mini window pops up with the definition from the Oxford Dictionary. it a nice little touch.
woowww!! this may be one of the best features.. i always wanted an easy way to look up words.. i currently use a javascriptlet bookmark that i hit with cmd+2 but this is way better and seems to work in most apps

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:31 PM

Keyboard menu
We can now specify to see the full name of the keyboard input, not just the flag.

And new Chinese input methods too, although I haven not tried.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:34 PM

Mouse button swap
The left and right buttons can be swapped as the primary mouse button. For left handers I am guessing.

ardin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:47 PM

Did Tiger break automatic unzipping for anyone else? Now Safari no longer opens downloaded dmg, zip or sit files like it used to, even though i still have the option on in prefs. I also noticed it broke links between Indesign and embedded files. ie, clicking 'edit original' in inDesign no longer opens the linked file. And mail (at least for me) has this annoying font bug that cuts off the top if the characters. Anyone else have that?

ardin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:53 PM

Just realized instead of talking about minor features i'd just bagged out the new OS! I really do like it. No one has mentioned speed much yet i don't think. My powerbook boots up much faster and everything GUI related is snappier. I ran Let1kWindowsBloom and it did it in 1/3 the time it took in Panther! (11s compared to 37s)

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by murk
Does this work in iPhoto?
iPhoto is the same as it ever was. The slideshow controls in Finder and Preview look like the controls in iPhoto 5 with the addition of an index button, which is where the Expos� effect comes in.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 26, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ardin
Just realized instead of talking about minor features i'd just bagged out the new OS! I really do like it. No one has mentioned speed much yet i don't think. My powerbook boots up much faster and everything GUI related is snappier. I ran Let1kWindowsBloom and it did it in 1/3 the time it took in Panther! (11s compared to 37s)
Can you compare this with Quartz Extreme 2D Extreme enabled to see if there really is a speed up?

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 09:38 PM

Quicktime 7 now can play audio (in a movie or on its own) using time compression instead of giving you the chipmunk effect.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 10:23 PM

here's one I didn't see listed... you can now set your iChat status to the name of the currently playing track in iTunes.

Another one is if you hold down option while resizing the QT Player window, it will resize in even multiples --- i.e, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, etc, etc... it also does the same when resizing smaller.
dennis

adam1185
Apr 26, 2005, 10:52 PM

hold the option + command keys down and clikc on the weather widget to cycle through all the different kinds of weather like steve jobs did at macworld.

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 12:23 AM

another cool thing which shows apple is listening to people, is it allows people the option to set themselves away when they do fast user switching (instead of just signing you off).

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by pascalpp
if you activate the dictionary panel by hiliting a word and then pressing cmd-ctrl-D, you can then keep holding down those keys and drag around the page. the dictionary panel will follow your cursor, doing instant lookups of any word you point at.
Now that is cool !

When you need to create a new password, there is a key icon next to the password entry box - click it and you get the password assistant that helps you create secure, memorable passwords. Not new exactly, but this was pretty well hidden in Panther I think.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 05:33 AM

For non-American English speakers who ALSO have to type in a second language sometimes...

Tiger has fixed that incredibly annoying quirk whereby (for example) I would set my English to British (ie. little union jack in the top right) then flick to Japanese for a bit with command+apple, then flick back and BOOM, suddenly I'm American (stars and stripes instead of union jack). In Tiger my Union Jack stays put after I flick back from a second language. phew!
http://www.yongfook.com

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 07:40 AM

Lots of new user icons for iChat
/Library/Application Support/Apple/iChat Icons/

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by cynikal
another cool thing which shows apple is listening to people, is it allows people the option to set themselves away when they do fast user switching (instead of just signing you off).
I did not get this one...I use FUS a lot, can you explain further?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 10:30 AM

In iChat 3.0's preferences you can set it so that when you FUS, your AIM status goes to "Away" rather than "Offline".

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 10:35 AM

Oh, thanks...not a chatter here, obviously...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cc_foo
A built in decompressor handles RAR, ARJ, uuencoded files, and .hqx files? You sure?
I know that it also does .bin. I just opened a .bin file this morning using Disk Utility.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cc_foo
[B]Yea, Jabber is a known feature. But I didn�t know anything about it, so I am including it here. Now, I can use iChat for MSN, ICQ and Yahoo! users too.
Any tips on how to set this up? I have no clue what jabber even is. I went to the site but I don't see where to get a user name from them. Or am I totally off?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ZOM 77
Apr 27, 2005, 03:25 PM

when downloading applications in safari,
it asks you if you want to continue download,
warning you that you are downloading an app . . .
- motech

http://homepage.mac.com/motech

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
Ooh! No need to highlight a word first. Just have the cursor over a word then command-control-d.
Oh man that's cool. Seems to be a Cocoa thing?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZOM 77
when downloading applications in safari,
it asks you if you want to continue download,
warning you that you are downloading an app . . .
Ya its cool but it asks you EVERY damn time. Drives me nuts.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Any tips on how to set this up? I have no clue what jabber even is. I went to the site but I don't see where to get a user name from them. Or am I totally off?
You can set up your own jabber servers, like groupware chat in an office. I understand that 10.4 server will have a jabber server built in.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 07:10 PM

Ya its cool but it asks you EVERY damn time. Drives me nuts.
Man, no doubt. I've been looking for a way to kill that, but haven't found it so far.

kemuri
Apr 27, 2005, 07:25 PM

Man, no doubt. I've been looking for a way to kill that, but haven't found it so far.

You can turn off "Open safe files after downloading" in Safari's prefs. that'll stop the warning, but you'll need to manually open/mount your downloaded file.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kemuri
You can turn off "Open safe files after downloading" in Safari's prefs. that'll stop the warning, but you'll need to manually open/mount your downloaded file.
Yeah, but I want them to open/mount automatically after downloading. So that's not really a good solution. Just being able to turn off the notification would suit me fine.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 07:52 PM

First you need to get a Jabber client. There are several out there - I think the one I used was Gush (which has a terrible interface, but we will only need to use it once) but I don't remember exactly.

IIRC, I think I was able to sign up for a new account right from the Jabber client that I used. Also, since the Panther version of iChat is able to sign you up for AIM accounts, I would guess that the Tiger version will probably have the ability to sign you up for a Jabber account, so this shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, you want to get an account on a server that has gateways to whichever services you're wanting to talk to (MSN, Yahoo, etc.). There's a list of servers here; I'm not sure how up to date it is.

Anyway, once you get in, you just go to Gateways and sign up for the gateway for each service you want to use. Once you're signed up for the gateways, you can trash the Jabber client and never use it again, because iChat will be talking to the account you just set up.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 09:52 PM

Yeah, but I want them to open/mount automatically after downloading. So that's not really a good solution. Just being able to turn off the notification would suit me fine.
Try the preferences in Disk Utility. I'm not sure if it works for all downloads, but I just downloaded a disk image and it opened without that stupid warning.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 11:58 PM

another thing that I found -- Option-Command-D will bring up/put away the dock if you have it set to auto hide.

edit: found something else. If you don't like the tiger picture on the puzzle in the dashboard, you can drag another picture on top of it, and replace it. There is two ways to do this -- if you have the widget sitting on the desktop, you simply drag the file over. If it's still in the dashboard, just start the drag, hit F12, and drag it on top of the puzzle widget.
( Last edited by SmileyDude; Apr 28, 2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added text)
dennis

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 12:21 AM

With convenience must come prudence. Apple is clearly interested in maintaining security for its users and aims to protect you from your (well, not you personally, but rather the collective "your") own laziness: most would choose to turn off that warning and auto-process downloads, but that is a huge risk. By auto-processing stuff you download, Apple needs to ensure that you are sure that what you are downloading is legitimate and not a security risk to the OS.

It may seem a little heavy-handed, but I think such solutions differentiate Mac OS X from most Windows security issues that are socially engineered (i.e. Click this link!) etc.

If you were determined to deactivate the warning, there might be a preference you could modify in Safari's .plist

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by krove
With convenience must come prudence. Apple is clearly interested in maintaining security for its users and aims to protect you from your (well, not you personally, but rather the collective "your") own laziness: most would choose to turn off that warning and auto-process downloads, but that is a huge risk. By auto-processing stuff you download, Apple needs to ensure that you are sure that what you are downloading is legitimate and not a security risk to the OS.

It may seem a little heavy-handed, but I think such solutions differentiate Mac OS X from most Windows security issues that are socially engineered (i.e. Click this link!) etc.

If you were determined to deactivate the warning, there might be a preference you could modify in Safari's .plist
That's another thing, actually � when I open the plist in TextEdit, it doesn't display in the normal XML format. It's got some weird encoding on it, and you can't actually see any of the values.

allan3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by SmileyDude
another thing that I found -- Option-Command-D will bring up/put away the dock if you have it set to auto hide.
This was available in Panther for a while already, so (unfortunately) it's not only a Tiger thing.

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 12:47 AM

That's another thing, actually � when I open the plist in TextEdit, it doesn't display in the normal XML format. It's got some weird encoding on it, and you can't actually see any of the values.
Although I do not have Tiger, my Safari v1.3 plist shows only a single preference value related to opening safe downloads automatically�no mention of the associated warning. As for the encoded data, only parts of the 10.3.9 Safari v1.3 plist are encoded. I had to jump to the bottom to see most of the actual preferences that you set within the "Preferences" window in the application.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules