Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 14" G4 Ibook Combo - Positive Feedback

14" G4 Ibook Combo - Positive Feedback
Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 07:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a brand new G4 Ibook yesterday, with combo drive and 14" screen (768MB Ram). (1.33Ghz).

Previously I had a G4 Imac (15", 700mhz, 640MB RAM).

I am pleased to say that it is an excellent machine. In OS 10.3.9 it is fast, snappy, and surprisingly powerful. The screen is clear and crisp, with no dead pixels (touchwood) and I also bought an Icurve. If youve seen one of these its a snazzy little platform that lets you raise your ibook to eye-level. I place my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle and usb hub under it.

I already have a firewire superdrive, which is why I went combo.

I have passed my imac down to my wife, who is very happy with it. Her indigo ibook screen is beginning to fade unfortunately, so she is also thrilled with the upgrade.

Anyway, just some positive feedback. I have also taken advantage of the tiger offer, whereby if yu purchased a new mac after April 12 you get a full copy of tiget delivered to your door for $14.95, so that is something to look forward to.

I am now mobile, and very happy. I purchased through education @ infinite systems in brisbane, and got a good bundled deal. For anyone out there pondering, know that this is a top machine, and a good compromise on performance, price, screen size and portability.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 12:03 AM

One question: why the 14" over the 12" if you didn't want the SuperDrive?

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 12:07 AM

The screen is bigger, making it more easy on the eyes for long sessions, and also better for watching movies... Ive seen the 12 inch. Its cute but the screen is a LOT smaller.
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 10:39 AM

The 14" also gets better battery life since the battery is physically bigger.
Chipmaster: you will love the ibook, mine has been running for 129 days now and never gives me any problems.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

gangster
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 12:06 PM

when will ibooks get updated?

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by gangster
when will ibooks get updated?
Hard to say.

Some people think it will be just after the tiger launch (ie next week), but I suspect it will be later this year, maybe June, Maybe August.

The ibook and powerbook specs are currently to close for comfort, so an ibook revision will need to see a powerbook revision as well, and most people would want to see a G5 in a powerbook next time round im sure.

Powerbooks are great, but in terms of value for money the 14.1" ibook was simply a better option for me. Its fast, hasa decent sized screen, and does eveything I need it to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules