Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 and display sleep whilst downloading stuff

iMac G5 and display sleep whilst downloading stuff
yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2005, 11:48 AM

I download a lot of stuff, but my recent purchase of an iMac G5 has been cutting into that.

I can't seem to make it download for extended periods of time without having to leave the display ON.

For some reason when the display sleeps, the actual computer sleeps too and my downloads all pause, so when I wake up in the morning I have all these disappointing half-downloaded files. It's like the anti-Christmas, every day of my life.

That's easy to rectify I guess, I just set my display to never sleep. BUT I can't adjust the brightness all the way down on the iMac G5 so if I set it never to sleep, I have to try and go to bed with the light from the screen illuminating my entire room.

Short of fashioning some kind of dark tea-cosy for my 20" iMac, what are YOU people doing to get around this??

cheers
YF
http://www.yongfook.com

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 22, 2005, 12:02 PM

Open energy saver and show me your settings.

Butch Hauke
Aug 22, 2005, 09:09 PM

You can set the system to never sleep, while having the display sleep after 10 or 15 minutes.
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 08:58 AM

Yup, you can set display and system sleep separately. Probably the best solution for you.
Agent69

yongfook  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 09:17 PM

no my problem was that I thought when the display slept, my system was somehow sleeping too - because every time I let the display sleep, after waking it up I'd see that my torrent download app would have crashed.

I assumed that meant that the system had been put to sleep and that the app didn't like being put to sleep mid-download.

NOW, I've discovered that it was just crashing for some other reason (bits on wheels - is it Tiger-friendly?). I've switched to Azureus now and it happily downloads away whether my screen is sleeping or not, and for extended periods of time (been going 3 days solid now) whoooooohoooo

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 10:38 PM

How you can tell what the ham your iMac G5 is doing:

If the sleep LED is invisible, then the computer is on, and it's display will also be on.
If the sleep LED is pulsing slowly, then the computer is sleeping. (Think of the pulses as snores)
If the sleep LED is on with no interruption, then the computer is on, but the display is off.

Also, I wouldn't recommend leaving the iMac on for extended periods of time... I tend to do BitTorrent downloads on a Windows PC, since it's disposable , and I worry about it less.

I also wouldn't recommend Azureus. It's Java-based and hogs oodles of memory. I use Tomato Torrent. Simple, effective. Now if people would only seed.
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

yongfook  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 11:14 PM

yeah the light-but-no-pulse thing confused me at first.

Anyway I'm using Azureus because I get better download speeds. I used to use Tomato Torrent a long time ago and Azureus kicked it's arse in terms of getting my files downloaded quicker...

I'll give Tomato Torrent another try though - I'm definitely up for trying new BT apps. Azureus is nice in terms of download speed, but I really don't like much else about it. Since it's a Java app it feels a bit clunky and un-mac-like, if you know what I mean.

Forum Links
Forum Rules