Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > CompUSA "Bundle"

CompUSA "Bundle"
PGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 10:07 AM

I found my iMac at CompUSA. The manager instituted a policy in which you HAD to purchase the "Platinum" service plan for $469.99! "You want an iMac, you buy the plan." It was the last one in stock.

Since I wanted an iMac, I charged the iMac and Platinum service to my credit card, CompUSA has a 14 day return policy so I "returned" my Platinum service plan 3 days later for a full refund.

Nice try.
PGS

"An Apple a day since '82"

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 11:41 AM

What I would do in that situation is contact your state's attorney general's consumer protection division! Forcing a customer to buy a service plan when all they came in for was the computer is flat out illegal!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 05:02 PM

Smart move on the return.

BTW: I'd let Apple know also. I don't think they would be too appreciative as I believe this undercuts their own $$ service plan.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

rbitdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by PGS:
<STRONG>I found my iMac at CompUSA. The manager instituted a policy in which you HAD to purchase the "Platinum" service plan for $469.99! "You want an iMac, you buy the plan." It was the last one in stock.

Since I wanted an iMac, I charged the iMac and Platinum service to my credit card, CompUSA has a 14 day return policy so I "returned" my Platinum service plan 3 days later for a full refund.

Nice try.</STRONG>
hey I just had to do the same. they require the service agreement in order to buy the computer. I don't mind a service agreement but it is quite expensive, and having never used any compusa service I don't know if it's worth it. Can I buy the apple one or is it a good deal?
when you returned it, you just took the silly cd and pamphlet back and got no hassle?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2002, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by rbitdog:
<STRONG>

hey I just had to do the same. they require the service agreement in order to buy the computer. I don't mind a service agreement but it is quite expensive, and having never used any compusa service I don't know if it's worth it. Can I buy the apple one or is it a good deal?
when you returned it, you just took the silly cd and pamphlet back and got no hassle?</STRONG>
Get the Apple plan if at all possible. CompUSA had a 400Mhz/13GB iMac for 10 weeks and couldn't fix it. (It had no sound.) Finally when I complained to Apple about the LONG time to fix this Apple turned around and sent me a brand spanking new 500Mhz/30GB unit. (And they had me as a new long term customer.)

But the point being: CompUSA couldn't fix an iMac sound issue in 10 weeks.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

PGS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 08:53 AM

<STRONG>

when you returned it, you just took the silly cd and pamphlet back and got no hassle?</STRONG>
When I returned the Platinum CD the clerk asked why I was returning it and I told him that I thought it was overpriced and packed in stuff I didn't need like a 6 hour training session. He called a manager to approve it and that was it. My only regret was that I returned it to a store close to my house instead of the one I purchased it from. I would have loved to have confronted the manager about his policy. He may read about it later with an inquiry from the Georgia Governor's consumer affairs office.

I have never had anything serviced at CompUSA. I wouldn't let them touch my computers. I've taken mine to AIS in Atlanta but if I have a future problem I may be taking them to the Apple Store when it opens on May 11.
PGS

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2002, 09:50 AM

<STRONG>

When I returned the Platinum CD the clerk asked why I was returning it and I told him that I thought it was overpriced and packed in stuff I didn't need like a 6 hour training session. He called a manager to approve it and that was it. My only regret was that I returned it to a store close to my house instead of the one I purchased it from. I would have loved to have confronted the manager about his policy. He may read about it later with an inquiry from the Georgia Governor's consumer affairs office.

I have never had anything serviced at CompUSA. I wouldn't let them touch my computers. I've taken mine to AIS in Atlanta but if I have a future problem I may be taking them to the Apple Store when it opens on May 11.</STRONG>
Where is AIS? (Curious in case I ever need them)

Also: Which CompUSA did you buy your iMac at?
(I just realized that you were in Atlanta)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

PGS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>

Where is AIS? (Curious in case I ever need them)

Also: Which CompUSA did you buy your iMac at?
(I just realized that you were in Atlanta)</STRONG>
AIS has two stores in the Atlanta area, one on Roswell Rd just north of I-285 in Sandy Springs, the other in Fayetteville.

I purchased my iMac at the CompUSA Perimeter store.
PGS

rbitdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 08:06 PM

<STRONG>I found my iMac at CompUSA. The manager instituted a policy in which you HAD to purchase the "Platinum" service plan for $469.99! "You want an iMac, you buy the plan." It was the last one in stock.

Nice try.</STRONG>
I headed back to local compusa to return my platinum service. I intended to buy the apple service, they do sell it. But no dice, they refused to refund my money. my choice is to keep the imac and the $479 whatever service, or return the whole 'bundle". They pissed me off, so that's probably what I'll do. So if anyone is in the St. Louis area, the doofus compusa on lindbergh will have one slightly used imac. They'll sell it to you for full price, provided you buy almost $500 worth of compusa service with it. It should be there monday or tuesday.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 08:30 PM

<STRONG>

I headed back to local compusa to return my platinum service. I intended to buy the apple service, they do sell it. But no dice, they refused to refund my money. my choice is to keep the imac and the $479 whatever service, or return the whole 'bundle". They pissed me off, so that's probably what I'll do. So if anyone is in the St. Louis area, the doofus compusa on lindbergh will have one slightly used imac. They'll sell it to you for full price, provided you buy almost $500 worth of compusa service with it. It should be there monday or tuesday.
</STRONG>
I would absolutely return it. (And then tell Apple why you did so).

If you insist on spending that much extra money then you can probably get into a G4 tower. &lt;GRIN&gt;
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 08:34 PM

<STRONG>

</STRONG>
As I said before, that is highly illegal! You need to contact Apple, your state attorney general consumer protection division, your local newspapers and CompUSA headquarters! They have no choice but to refund your service plan money.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>What I would do in that situation is contact your state's attorney general's consumer protection division! Forcing a customer to buy a service plan when all they came in for was the computer is flat out illegal!</STRONG>
You're wrong. It's not. They are doing that so they can profit as much as possible from the sale of a very hot commodity. It would only be illegal if CompUSA didn't have something that said that they reserve the right not to sell anything to anybody. Restaurants do this, too. They reserve the right not to serve anyone.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>

You're wrong. It's not. They are doing that so they can profit as much as possible from the sale of a very hot commodity. It would only be illegal if CompUSA didn't have something that said that they reserve the right not to sell anything to anybody. Restaurants do this, too. They reserve the right not to serve anyone.</STRONG>
Actually restaurants cannot deny service to folks for arbitrary reasons. This landed Denny's in court fairly recently.

That said: It is not illegal to force a bundle, but it may very well be against Apple's policy for retailers. It's certainly worth a phone call.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

dbogdan
Mar 9, 2002, 10:00 PM

I bought my G4 iMac on March 2nd, 2002 at the CompUSA on Mount Zion Road, here in south Metro Atlanta. Maxxed it out as far as I could - airport base station, card, extra 256MG of RAM... basically shot for the gold... And let me tell you one thing, that salesperson really pushed the service plan. I know a hard sell when I see one, and this guy's eyes were rolling over with dollar signs right up until I left the store with the goods, trying the sell me the warranty plan. I understand it's his job (and commission) and he was just trying to do his thing, but it was almost embarrassing at one point as he kept trying to pump me up about how I could "perhaps" trade up to a graphite model (should something be wrong with this unit and should Apple "perhaps" come out with a graphite model) at the drop of a hat, only all I had to do was sign at the dotted line ($349 + change) for this wonderful warranty service.... hmm... time must be getting tough if the profit margins off this stuff is so low that the outlet depends upon the sale of useless "protection plans" to meet a profit level...

By the way, the credit card that I used to purchase these items automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty for up to three years for no extra charge... as I'm told many credit cards do... so why would I be such a schmuck and pay for the "extended warranty" that I already have?

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 10:52 PM

Many companies use these types of tactics to boost profitability. My wife worked for Best Buy, and this is standard procedure. They operate on razor thin margins, and they literally depend on these "service plans", extended warranties etc. This is their biggest revenue generator. During company meetings, their sole focus is on these "service plans." The Pressure to sell these things is unbelievable. Employees are literally told to sell x amount, or be terminated. Needless to say the turnover is ridiculous. 95% of the problems that occur with a purchase fall under the manufacturers warranty. What CompUsa is doing is unethical, and borderline criminal. Best Buy literally ressurected the company from near bankruptcy in the mid 90's with the initiation of these "service plans". You are buying nothing more than a high priced piece of paper. Don't fall for the scam.

rbitdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 11:07 PM

manufacturers warranty. What CompUsa is doing is unethical, and borderline criminal. Best Buy literally ressurected the company from near bankruptcy in the mid 90's with the initiation of these "service plans". You are buying nothing more than a high priced piece of paper. Don't fall for the scam.[/QB][/QUOTE]

there was no choice to purchase the plan or not. I HAD to buy it in order to buy the computer- this was not in the store's sale flyer or posted anywhere around the computer, but they informed me of it at the register when I was paying for the computer. Mine was (I say was because it will go back to compusa early next week) a display, this was the excuse they used. When I tried to return it I wanted to purchase the apple care plan, which they also sell. I could do that, provided I also purchase compusa's flat screen monitor plan, in order to bring the cost up almost to the platinum plan. They tried to tell me that the apple plan does not cover the screen. When I told them it does, they said well anyway, I had to buy both or the platinum plan.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Mar 9, 2002, 11:12 PM

Have any of you who have received this "special offer" from CompUSA attempted to contact the suits at their headquarters. I would be interested to know what CompUSA's national policy on these types of actions is. Hell, it might even factor into my decision on doing future business with any of their stores. Hey there is nothting they sell at CompUSA that I can't get elswhere.

As far as being illegal, this is probably a gray area that probably depends greatly on your state's law. Did the price under the display model say $1799 + $479 service plan? If not they could very well get in trouble for deliberately misrepresenting the price. Wether or not it's illegal it is questionable but it definetely is a shady business practice that makes me not want to do business with them.

Well rbitdog anwered my question. I guess that's what I get for goin to get a beer in the middle of composing a reply

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Montezuma58 ]

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>

You're wrong. It's not. They are doing that so they can profit as much as possible from the sale of a very hot commodity. It would only be illegal if CompUSA didn't have something that said that they reserve the right not to sell anything to anybody. Restaurants do this, too. They reserve the right not to serve anyone.</STRONG>
No, you're wrong! If a store has an item on display, and that item has a price listed by it, as an iMac computer would have, the store has to, by law, sell you that item, and that item only, at the listed price!! They can ask you to purchase an extended warranty, but, BY LAW they can not refuse to sell you that item!! If they have an iMac on display and it's listed price includes an extended warranty and it's listed as one item, then you would be correct. Otherwise, it's what's known as misrepresentation of the merchandise! Period! If your scenario were correct, then they could tell you that you have to buy a printer, and a scanner, and make you walk out of the store thousands of dollars poorer! I have been in sales for over 20 years, and I know what the law is in this regard! You need to do some research! As to your statement that restaurants reserve the right not to serve anyone, that is also incorrect!! There are federal civil rights laws that cover that!

BTW, I worked for CompUSA for six years, and we were constantly reminded to sell extended warrantys, because that's where they make their money. We were never told that the customer had to buy an extended warranty, because our store managers knew it would be illegal! What's happening here is very simple; someone at management level is trying to get away with something, and, if push came to shove, they would deny ever having said such a thing! I've also had college courses in business law; I know what I'm talking about!

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: KarlG ]

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: KarlG ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules