Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > any honda owners here?

any honda owners here? (Page 2)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
No it isn't. Anyone who works on houses for a living has piles of it in their backyard. Its plenty strong too.

You just like disagreeing with Rob don't you?
Copper is one of the softest metal around, god it pains me to say this but Railroader (gage) is 100% right
( Last edited by Athens; Nov 4, 2005 at 06:07 AM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Copper is the softest metal around, god it pains me to say this but Railroader (gage) is 100% right
No, it's not. But it is softer than steel and not the right material for the job.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
And you need to learn that copper is soft and expensive. Nothing like having your extension bar bend on you suddenly, bruising or cutting your knuckles.

Steel is stronger, cheaper, and easier to find.
I use copper because I had some laying around, and if you smack it with a hammer you can get it to conform to the handle of your ratchet, making it less likely to slip out. There's also about zero chance of getting it to bend on you suddenly, I've stood on the damn thing. It's quite thick. You are disagreeing with me just to be disagreeable, and you're annoying and pathetic because of it. Go pop some more rivets at your factory job.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:06 PM

Hehe well come on its a Civic, those are made for woman and ricers. For power u need to step in a Prelude
Preludes are made for ricers and idiotic canadians who amaze almost everyone with their seemingly bottomless pit of stupidity.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 12:10 PM

I take it you don't care for Athens posts? Jeeze
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:11 PM

Copper is one of the softest metal around, god it pains me to say this but Railroader (gage) is 100% right
It really isn't that soft it at all. Try bending a penny. Go find some pipes in your plumbing section of a local hardware store. Try to bend one. It's plenty strong.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
I take it you don't care for Athens posts? Jeeze
Not really. I feel dumber everytime I read something he posts. Go read about him ranting about how he has bad credit (which you have to be pretty stupid to acquire in the first place), and how bad credit sucks because if he had good credit he could buy mroe stuff he couldn't afford (and thus get bad credit again).

He's not the sharpest tack in the drawer.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 12:17 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding why he would post something so personal in the first place? Unless of course he likes to be ridiculed. Which may be true. It seems to come up in a lot of his conversations with others. I guess to each his own.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:25 PM

He's just an idiot. He buys an old rusty prelude and you should see what he wants to do to it. Bodykit, rims, the whole deal where all the 'upgrades' cost more than the freakin car.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 4, 2005, 02:27 PM

enough with the personal attacks

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 02:44 PM

k. done.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 05:40 PM

Stronger than steel? And for the torque that would be applied, I assure you, it is weak and could fail instantly.

I am a mechanic for a living. For the last 10 years. And not on cars. I work on multi-million dollar CNC equipment the size of a double-wide trailer.

You make cabinets "that make people cry". How long, a year or so?

Who are you going to trust with advice for using a wrench?

I don't want to see anyone hurt himself. Including Rob.

You like smoking pot right? Everyday? And we are to trust you with our safety?
You bring up alot of pointless things.

I've been building houses (an all other general Carpentry) for 11 years now. I started white cedars when I was 11.

I've put many a lagbolt in with the afformentioned copper pipe extention with no breaking involved. Granted, large machines would require lots more tourque and could bend the copper...I highly doubt anything on a car would require so much force that it would break the copper. I've put my entire weight on copper pipe extentions for ratchets and I have yet to break one.

You like to try to discredit me because of my pot "addiction" but sadly everyone I've ever worked with in my field (and I assure you I am the youngest by far) is extremely impressed with my abilities. Since jobsite construction is insanley dangerous and in my 11 years I have yet to seriosuly injure myself all I have to say is don't even think that you know me, or who I am, or how hard I work....because you have no friggin' clue whatsoever.. If you had a chance to work with me you would respect me a hell of alot more.

I'd say the youngest Carpenter I've ever worked with was 35, and even when I was 17 I'd get compliments on my quality of work, work ethic, and general attitide towards working. In the next few years my aging father will slowly begin to give me the Contracting end of his business (which is well respected in a very wealthy area) and I look forward to being (BY FAR) the youngest Contractor that I have ever met. But why am I telling you? You've already got me figured out

I'm also addicted to Caffeine, why not poke fun at that? I've never gotten stoned before work, but I enjoy a good joint after a hard day of doing whatever it is I need to do on that particular day (my job changes day to day) Ever have a beer after working hard when you were 22? Same sh!t, and a tired argument from you.

A$$hole.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
I use copper because I had some laying around, and if you smack it with a hammer you can get it to conform to the handle of your ratchet, making it less likely to slip out. There's also about zero chance of getting it to bend on you suddenly, I've stood on the damn thing. It's quite thick. You are disagreeing with me just to be disagreeable, and you're annoying and pathetic because of it. Go pop some more rivets at your factory job.
Ding Ding!!!

It confromes to the handle, and you can cut it to size in seconds.

Don't tell him, he works in a factory, OOooooo

I build million dollar houses, go back to your assembly line.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 05:48 PM

Softest does not equal most brittle, so it would bend before breaking,...as my previous post pointed out I've used this method hundreds on times (with my whole body weight on it) and I have yet to break one.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 05:53 PM

Kilbey, take a look at these.

http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1008.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1010.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1009.jpg

3.5 Million dollar rennovation (plus loads of new construction) in Dartmouth MA.

Pretty much everything you see I had a hand in...and the owner (who is worth god knows how much money, this is his "Fourth of July" house) complimented me many times on my craftsmanship and even invited me to his houswarming party to meet his rich friends

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 06:50 PM

Wooden shingles? Wow. Those look great! Til about 5 years from now when they start molding and need to be replaced. Rich people are silly with their money.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 06:58 PM

Wooden shingles? Wow. Those look great! Til about 5 years from now when they start molding and need to be replaced. Rich people are silly with their money.
Cedar repels mold, but yes, they always enjoying buying materials that need sanding/painting/sealing every couple of years (especially the houses on the water).

After about 5 years a good powerwash with a bit of bleach will make them last another 5 easily. With proper upkeep (and proper application of course) a cedar shingle job can last 15+ years. Red Cedar roofing shingles (much thicker) can last as long as a fairly expensive asphalt roof.

My house that I live in right now is all vinyl and aluminum exterior, looks great and all it needs is a quick wash here and there (but it looks cheap, and rich people hate looking cheap...even if its smarter)

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 10:09 PM

Actually, I'll probably be using a 10 ft.+ extender on a 1" ratchet tonight. I need to tear apart some 100 ton aluminium die cast machines. I'll leave the popping of rivets to the tin smith trade.

Trust me, the guy with 10+ years of on the job mechanical service who works on CNC machines the size of a house, instead of the brat who lives off his wife's income while he attends ID school.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 10:09 PM

It really isn't that soft it at all. Try bending a penny. Go find some pipes in your plumbing section of a local hardware store. Try to bend one. It's plenty strong.
You think pennys are made of copper?!?!

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 10:12 PM

Ding Ding!!!

It confromes to the handle, and you can cut it to size in seconds.

You guys are funny.

Some day you'll grow up and understand what a skilled trade is. "till then you'll be in a daze from the pot smoke.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 10:13 PM

Kilbey, take a look at these.

http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1008.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1010.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~skennedy929...1/site1009.jpg

3.5 Million dollar rennovation (plus loads of new construction) in Dartmouth MA.

Pretty much everything you see I had a hand in...and the owner (who is worth god knows how much money, this is his "Fourth of July" house) complimented me many times on my craftsmanship and even invited me to his houswarming party to meet his rich friends
Had a hand in what? Did you clean up the cut off scraps for the tradesmen? Where's those cabinets that "make people cry"?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 10:14 PM

Your ignorance is astounding. Wood shingles are one of the longest lasting house coverings.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 11:16 PM

Had a hand in what? Did you clean up the cut off scraps for the tradesmen? Where's those cabinets that "make people cry"?
No I built and finished most of it.

Really man, you know nothing of what my job entails, why do you persist?

I am a tradesman, you're the one who made the outlandish claim that I've been doing it for a year, I corrected you. Don't look folish now....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 11:19 PM

You guys are funny.

Some day you'll grow up and understand what a skilled trade is. "till then you'll be in a daze from the pot smoke.
I am a highly paid carpenter, and I am on a project from start to finish. My woodworking skills are above anyone my age because I've been working with wood since I was 6.

You make silly assumtions.

It is because this thread, and this thread alone, that makes me disrespect you immesnsely, or at least this online persona you present.

Once again, if you had the honor of working with me for a month you would understand your "stupid pothead" label couldn't be more false.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 11:27 PM

Your ignorance is astounding. Wood shingles are one of the longest lasting house coverings.
Though you still pissed me off, you are right here.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 12:20 AM

No I built and finished most of it.

Really man, you know nothing of what my job entails, why do you persist?

I am a tradesman, you're the one who made the outlandish claim that I've been doing it for a year, I corrected you. Don't look folish now....
I am sorry, I apologize. I did a quick search on the 'NN and I saw your other posts regarding your work. The deck, and from what I can see of the rest of the house, work looks top-notch.

However, you have to admit, a steel pipe is safer (and FAR cheaper) than a copper pipe. Copper is soft and fails nearly instantly in a tensile or compresion strength situation. Steel is much stronger and has a slower and more predictable failure rate. I am referring to the steel used for tubing and pipes. Sure, steel in some alloys can be brittle, but that's not the steel commonly used for extension handles for wrenches.

If copper was such a great tool for removing bolts, then the entire wrench would be made of copper. The only copper tool in my tool box is a hammer with a copper head used for dead blows.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:25 AM

Preludes are made for ricers and idiotic canadians who amaze almost everyone with their seemingly bottomless pit of stupidity.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 12:26 AM

Once again, if you had the honor of working with me for a month you would understand your "stupid pothead" label couldn't be more false.

Hey, I promise, no more pothead insults if stop with the factory worker jokes. I work with a few factory workers with Master's degrees. I've worked in engineering houses and in an office where everyone had Master's degrees or higher. I have more respect for the "simple" factory worker.

Lastly, I don't work in a factory that has an assembly line. I did work on an assembly line for 9+months. It was the hardest work I ever had to do. And I baled hay for a few summers. Not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

Not really. I feel dumber everytime I read something he posts. Go read about him ranting about how he has bad credit (which you have to be pretty stupid to acquire in the first place), and how bad credit sucks because if he had good credit he could buy mroe stuff he couldn't afford (and thus get bad credit again).

He's not the sharpest tack in the drawer.
oh christ, I got bad credit orginally when I was sick for 2 months and I couldnt make my cell phone payments and I missed a credit card payment. That can happen to any one.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:30 AM

He's just an idiot. He buys an old rusty prelude and you should see what he wants to do to it. Bodykit, rims, the whole deal where all the 'upgrades' cost more than the freakin car.

Rusty my god your as blind as you are ******

http://brian.is.a.rootboy.net/preludenew.php

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 12:34 AM

Rusty my god your as blind as you are ******

http://brian.is.a.rootboy.net/preludenew.php
Did your fuel tank filler tube fall off from rust?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:36 AM

Did your fuel tank filler tube fall off from rust?

Honda defect that there was a recall for. It never fell off, had to be cut off.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 12:37 AM

oh christ, I got bad credit orginally when I was sick for 2 months and I couldnt make my cell phone payments and I missed a credit card payment.
That would not have happened to you had you saved for a "rainy day" and you didn't have a balance on your credit card. Thank you for making the "Rail"-guy's points.
That can happen to any one.
Anyone irresponsible enough to carry credit card balances and not have a fund for emergencies.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 12:38 AM

Honda defect that there was a recall for. It never fell off, had to be cut off.
And it rusted and got into your fuel system and you had fuel pump and fuel filter problems right? rusty indeed.

So, Honda paid for your repairs under their recall policy?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:39 AM

That would not have happened to you had you saved for a "rainy day" and you didn't have a balance on your credit card. Thank you for making the "Rail"-guy's points.

Anyone irresponsible enough to carry credit card balances and not have a fund for emergencies.
The balance on the Credit card was for the cell phone which I was trying to make the payments for while I was out of commission, was on contract couldnt just cancel it. And when I missed the cell phone payment they canceled it on me, and charged me 800 in penalities which exceded my credit cards ability to pay and I was still out of commission leaving me with a Cell phone and credit card debt. Up to that point I was fine with credit.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:40 AM

And it rusted and got into your fuel system and you had fuel pump and fuel filter problems right? rusty indeed.

So, Honda paid for your repairs under their recall policy?
fuel pump is still the same one on there, it did clog up the fuel filter but who knows when it was last replaced, could have been years. Fuel filter was only 20.00.

No Honda kept dicking me aroud on it so I got it done myself. Honda builds great cars but there support Sux

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 12:43 AM

Railroder, no hard feelings.

I'll stop my comments, since you'll stop your's.

I agree that steel is stronger, though my method has worked fine for me.

I'll try and see if I can find some more pics of my work....so you will believe me and all.....

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader[/
Trust me, the guy with 10+ years of on the mind numbing factory work, instead of the guy who lives off his wife's income while he attends ID school.
Go you. Keep on popping those rivets. Your mom must be proud.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:11 AM

You think pennys are made of copper?!?!
OH MY GOD IM SO DUMB THEY ARE ONLY COVERED IN COPPER OMG OMG OMG! Hey, GM called, they're replacing your dumbass job with a robot. Because you suck. And your job requires no brain. And you are an ignorant ****ing moron. And you are uneducated. And you are white trash. And I think you ****ing suck ass. Go drink some budweiser and look up GMs profit lately. OH WAIT! GM IS SUCKING DONKEY COCK BECAUSE THEY HIRE MORONS LIKE YOURSELF! Hell, look at some of their designs. Blech.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:18 AM

You guys are funny.

Some day you'll grow up and understand what a skilled trade is.
Like working at a GM factory? Yeah, very skilled. That's why GM is doing so well

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:19 AM

Sure they are. If they are maintained. Which they never are.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:25 AM

If copper was such a great tool for removing bolts, then the entire wrench would be made of copper. The only copper tool in my tool box is a hammer with a copper head used for dead blows.
Copper is malleable. So of course it wouldnt' be used for tight tolerance work like a wrench or socket. But for a handle it works just fine. The reason it isn't used is because of cost. But again, I had a copper pipe laying around, it was free, it was not expensive to begin with, and it conformed to my ratchet's handle with a few blows of a hammer. I have stood on it many times, I weigh 150 lbs, and sometimes I have put much much more than that bracing myself against a wall and using my leg muscles to force it. It has not failed, bent, or distorted. Copper is plenty strong for almost any automotive task you can throw on it, and you are arguing purely because you are a sad pathetic moron with a factory job who hates me because my life doesn't suck as much ass as yours. Have fun with your ugly kids.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 03:22 AM

Don't look folish now....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You try making sense with several screwdrivers in you.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 03:49 AM

That would give me a heartburn from hell.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 07:10 AM

OH MY GOD IM SO DUMB THEY ARE ONLY COVERED IN COPPER OMG OMG OMG! Hey, GM called, they're replacing your dumbass job with a robot. Because you suck. And your job requires no brain. And you are an ignorant ****ing moron. And you are uneducated. And you are white trash. And I think you ****ing suck ass. Go drink some budweiser and look up GMs profit lately. OH WAIT! GM IS SUCKING DONKEY COCK BECAUSE THEY HIRE MORONS LIKE YOURSELF! Hell, look at some of their designs. Blech.
Actually, I repair the robots. Nice try. You looking for another ban?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 07:11 AM

you are arguing purely because you are a sad pathetic moron with a factory job who hates me because my life doesn't suck as much ass as yours. Have fun with your ugly kids.
Hmm.... sound like you could use a hug.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 07:12 AM

Railroder, no hard feelings.

I'll stop my comments, since you'll stop your's.

I agree that steel is stronger, though my method has worked fine for me.

I'll try and see if I can find some more pics of my work....so you will believe me and all.....
I believe you Sek. Now, are you sure you want to be on Rob's side in all of this?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 07:29 AM

I guess the question should be how thick is the copper, if its really thick I can see it working just fine.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:04 PM

It does work just fine. I've been using the same pipe since I was 16.

Forum Links
Forum Rules