Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm going used car shopping. Help!!111

I'm going used car shopping. Help!!111 (Page 4)
Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Gee, wonder why you have to buy new cars so often....oh wait, they're all GM products. Nevermind. Makes sense now.
Nope, I like new cars. And I get them cheap. And every purchase had a purpose.

And um... GM has some AWESOME reliability ratings... so unless you want to appear ignorant... you better not put your foot in your mouth too far.

'95 Olds-My first new car.
'95 Pontiac-My wife's first new car
'97 GMC Pick-up-I needed a truck at the time
'98 Bonneville-A gift for my wife-plus I got an AWESOME deal on it. Even sold it for a profit.
'00 GMC Jimmy-growing family-towing our camper
'03 Pontiac-bonneville was getting old
'03 Mini-Van-GROWING family-tows a camper
'04 Cavalier-Good gas mileage.

And you know what? I never had a single part fail on a single one of those cars.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 06:53 AM

Dude he works at a ****ing factory with no formal education! How can you beat him! Oh.. easily. He's a ****ing moron.
I probably have 5-6 years of university education above and beyond beyond your community college. Quit being stupid.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 06:53 AM

Dude he works at a ****ing factory with no formal education! How can you beat him! Oh.. easily. He's a ****ing moron.
I probably have 5-6 years of university education above and beyond beyond your community college. Quit being stupid.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 06:55 AM

Kilbey once again proves he is incabable of admitting he is wrong.
I just did that earlier tonight. Try again.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
HAHAHAH I was thinking there All American but I'll accept all GM
Don't laugh too hard. He thinks you're a total moron.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Don't laugh too hard. He thinks you're a total moron.
So do you, so that dosent mean much coming from u.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:39 AM

how much of a cash deposit did u have to put on it, and whats the terms with the return of the deposit?
It was only like $90 for the hone and activation, and now I map monthly under a 1 year contract.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
It was only like $90 for the hone and activation, and now I map monthly under a 1 year contract.
Oh so no deposit was needed, well you can thank your good credit history for that. IF you had no credit or bad credit im sure they would have asked for a additional 100-200.00 security deposit.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:44 AM

This thread is really about 2 different things. Having a credit to purchase things and go into debt and having a good credit history to show you are a low risk and credit worthy aka Cell Phone contracts, apartment leases...

Since RailHead had a morgage and credit cards he established good credit unless I missed somewhere he failed payments and ****ed up something so as it stands the guy telling every one that credit isnt important already enjoys a good credit rating anyways so he dosent matter. I assume RailRoader also has a credit card or at some point has had a credit card and also has a good credit rating. So again what he say dosent matter because again he enjoys the status of good credit.
Athens Athens Athens! Come ON! When I pay cash for a car, THEY DON'T CARE WHAT MY CREDIT HISTORY/SCORE IS. When I paid cash for my house, THEY DIDN'T DO A CREDIT CHECK. I no longer buy anything on credit nor do I borrow money SO NONE OF PURCHASING POWER IS BASED ON CREDIT.

How am I enjoying something that I have nothing to do and that never intersects with anything I do?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 08:47 AM

Deposits are refundable. They can't be considered an expense, really.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 08:49 AM

So do you, so that dosent mean much coming from u.
I don't think you're a total moron. Simply naive. You have a good heart, but sometimes you spout off without really thinking what you're saying. I respect you, just not all of your views.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:54 AM

I don't think you're a total moron. Simply naive. You have a good heart, but sometimes you spout off without really thinking what you're saying. I respect you, just not all of your views.
Hehe I'll accept spouting off with out thinking, its hard to keep up with all the posts and to do it in between the demands of guests

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Well they are a out of pocket expense until it comes back to you, and when every service requires a deposit it really does add up causing even more finacial hardtimes. I currently have about 1000 owed to me in deposits right now, a 1000.00 that I could really have used on other things like the dentist which ive been pushing off for months now.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:42 AM

dp dp dp

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:44 AM

Oh so no deposit was needed, well you can thank your good credit history for that. IF you had no credit or bad credit im sure they would have asked for a additional 100-200.00 security deposit.
I have never paid for a deposit on a cell phone since back when I was in High School. Not in college, not since, and it has nothing to do with a credit history. Further, no one in my family has either, so I think your deposit issue is either with the carrier you choose or because you screwed your credit history.

Now, if having no credit history was good for me in the 80s when I first got a "mobile" phone, then whoopie for me. Since then, when I've gotten a new phone and/or switched carriers, nothing was ever mentioned about a credit check, history or anything: I picked my stuff out, picked my plan, signed the contract, and either wrote a check or used debit.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I have never paid for a deposit on a cell phone since back when I was in High School. Not in college, not since, and it has nothing to do with a credit history. Further, no one in my family has either, so I think your deposit issue is either with the carrier you choose or because you screwed your credit history.

Now, if having no credit history was good for me in the 80s when I first got a "mobile" phone, then whoopie for me. Since then, when I've gotten a new phone and/or switched carriers, nothing was ever mentioned about a credit check, history or anything: I picked my stuff out, picked my plan, signed the contract, and either wrote a check or used debit.
Well you gotta admit things are much different these days then in the 80's. The credit check is done instantly while the guy is entering in the info into the computer for your account. A quick check on Equafax for here and I think they are also the main one in the US flags the account as either good or no good. But you bring something up thats really stupid, I have bad credit and I was giving a plan with a 200.00 deposit on the account. My mom has no credit, bad or good and she wasn't allowed a plan at all due to her credit status. That is real strange. I do see at some point in the future peoples credit being used for job positions as well, I can see in the future credit being even more important then it already is today.

Hehe that cell phone in the 80's how much did it cost you? $3000?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

Well you gotta admit things are much different these days then in the 80's. The credit check is done instantly while the guy is entering in the info into the computer for your account. A quick check on Equafax for here and I think they are also the main one in the US flags the account as either good or no good. But you bring something up thats really stupid, I have bad credit and I was giving a plan with a 200.00 deposit on the account. My mom has no credit, bad or good and she wasn't allowed a plan at all due to her credit status. That is real strange. I do see at some point in the future peoples credit being used for job positions as well, I can see in the future credit being even more important then it already is today.

Hehe that cell phone in the 80's how much did it cost you? $3000?
Only because people perpetuate the credit myth and play right into "needing" it — so yes, credit will be important for those not willing to save and invest and pay cash.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

Nope, I like new cars. And I get them cheap.
Supply and demand dictates that nobody must want them. Wonder why?

And you know what? I never had a single part fail on a single one of those cars.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:17 PM

That's why you work at a factory.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:28 PM

That's why you work at a factory.
whats wrong with working at a factory?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
In that case, send me $1000. I'll return it to you in a year. Since I'll return it, it's not an expense!

Maybe $1000 doesn't mean much to you, but it sure does to me. But hey, I'm probably just trapped in a lower-class mentality, forever doomed to financial failure, and THAT's why I don't have $1000 to wipe my butt with. Right?

Oh yeah, and I promise I won't find a pretext to withold the deposit... because that never happens to people.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:31 PM

Nothing is wrong with working at a factory. But pretending to be the most intelligent person in teh world and better and more knowledgable about everything than anybody 24-7 when you work at a ****ing factory is a bit...eh... 'contradictory'.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:40 PM

Nothing is wrong with working at a factory. But pretending to be the most intelligent person in teh world and better and more knowledgable about everything than anybody 24-7 when you work at a ****ing factory is a bit...eh... 'contradictory'.

Not really, its a job it pays. I know university students that know 10 times as much as me and they work at Subway. You had a case with him attacking your posts, you lost respect by attacking him.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:42 PM

Not really, its a job it pays. I know university students that know 10 times as much as me and they work at Subway. You had a case with him attacking your posts, you lost respect by attacking him.
Somehow, I'll live. Kilbey sucks.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 11:04 PM

I work with a lot of engineers and various managers who'd disagree with you.

You are completely ignorant what it's like in a modern day factory.

About 40% of the people I work with have a bachelors degree or higher. And about 25% have a Master's degree or higher.

Ohhh... never mind, you've been banned again. It'll be a few days before you read this again.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2005, 11:11 PM

Supply and demand dictates that nobody must want them. Wonder why?
Uhh... no. I get an employee discount and I look for good deals. I look for dealer demos, end of model line clearances, pay cash, and avoid all of the common buyer mistakes. Right now I realize the market is horrible for used cars, so I am planning on holding onto what I have for a while.

Bye.

Again.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2005, 09:38 PM

Ugh...

It's been a fun few weeks and I still haven't lined up a car.

Status report:

Nobody will approve me for anything new because my gross income isn't up to snuff, and only one dealership would even approve me for anything used; Riverside Chevrolet. Riverside is probably the largest dealership in the area and they do their own financing, through which they approved me.

I started dealing with them this morning regarding a 1993 GMC Sierra. Short bed, stepside, automatic, only 75k miles, very clean, power everything... etc. It was going to run me around $6,000. But upon seeing that it was pink (okay, fuschia!) with a sky-blueish set of decals, I kind of lost interest.

So we started looking around at other things on the dealership. The $6,000 Sierra turned into a $10,000 F-150 which turned into a $12,xxx Cavalier.

I drove the Cavalier around, loved the thing. Forest green, tan interior, power everything, XM Radio, great stereo, and 65k miles.

I decided to take a go at getting it and found that I'd have to;

A) Put $2,300 down.
B) Finance for 48 months at the longest.
C) End up paying around $18,000 for the thing if I kept it the full length.
D) Pay a 21% interest rate.
E) Deal with a payment of $380~.

I loved the car, but I didn't like the terms and kinda felt like I was getting screwed. The whole idea behind financing a car in the first place was to avoid ripping into my savings account. But with that large of a down payment and that high of an interest rate, I felt like I was getting the worst of both worlds.

I told the salesman to hold off on any more paperwork because I needed to sleep on it. And for the next 30-45 mins I was pecked at by him and a finance guy who kept trying to get me to commit. The finance guy was very upfront with me, saying that I was paying for transportation as much as I was paying for the opportunity to build credit. He said that keeping the car for the full 48-months would be insane and that what I should do is commit to taking it, and in 6 months either refinance or trade it in toward a new car. But I remained resolved in saying that I wasn't backing out, but that I needed to sleep on the deal.

And the whole way home (salesman had to pick up) the pecking continued.

I feel kinda dazed from it all.

*Breathes*
( Last edited by Lateralus; Nov 13, 2005 at 12:08 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 09:44 PM

ACK.

Run. And don't look back.

The price of the car and the terms of the loan are outrageous. In six months the car won't be worth half of what they charged you....because it isn't worth that much now.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 09:59 PM

As we all know, it's not very often Spliffdaddy is right, but in this case, I have to agree with him.

You're getting the typical schtick and shpiel from used car pros, who make very good livings getting people to fall for their crap. As I stated early in this thread, you're going to have a hard time getting a loan unless you want to pay outrageous finance charges. That's simply the way it is for people with no credit, or bad credit. Those loans are considered sub-prime, and the interest rate is high because the default rate is high, so they're playing CYA!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 10:30 PM

Get a $1500 car, inspected by a mechanic savvy friend, and be done with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules