Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just Ordered my Powerbook 12"!

Just Ordered my Powerbook 12"!
bustamebus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2005, 03:26 AM

hey! i just ordered my powerbook 12" with these specs.

1.5 ghz
768MB DDR333
100GB Ultra ATA drive @5400rpm.

I got it for the purpose of editing videos for my school assemblies and for recording music on. I plan on buying recording hardware in the future though.

I'm just wondering if there is anything i should do once my powerbook comes in so that it runs great. like i read somewhere that to get a fully charged battery, i should keep on the powerbook till it runs out of batter, then plug it in and charge until it fully charges? any suggestions on what i should do.

also, im looking for a mouse, im kind of wanting a bluetooth, but ive read that they have some flaws, but i wouldnt mind having a wired one. i kind of like the idea of a mighty mouse but not too many people have been happy with it, so any suggestions on good bluetooth and regular mouses would be fine.

thanks! first post. w00t!

-busta

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 04:40 AM

First off, let me say welcome to the forums and that you made a great choice by buying a powerbook! Is this your first mac? Or are you already a more experienced mac user? In any case, the battery issue. I believe it is recomended that you charge the battery and then run it fully until it drains and then charge it again. This is usually refered to as conditioning the battery. If you keep your powerbook plugged in a lot, it's often a good idea to do this atleast once a month so the battery performance doesn't degrade as rapidly. I know quite a few people with laptops here at school (mostly dells) who have kept their computers plugged in most of the time without draining the battery every once in a while. Now when they want to use the battery they get like 45min on it instead of the 2.5-3hrs when it was new. Batterys aren't that expensive (around $140 I think for a powerbook). That being said if you condition the battery properly that's $140 saved that you can apply to some cool editing software somewhere in the future.

As far as mice go, get what you're comfortable with. I personally use a wired mouse (logitech MX510) simply because I like the feel of it. Bluetooth mice have come a long way, I'm sure you can find a good one - but I don't use one so I can't make any recomendations.

Also, did you order extra ram from apple? Usually third parties are atleast a bit cheaper - not that I have configured a powerbook recently. If there's still time you might be able to upgrade to 1.25gb for the same price as you paid from apple if you use 3rd party ram (and the install takes 2 min).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

bustamebus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
First off, let me say welcome to the forums and that you made a great choice by buying a powerbook! Is this your first mac? Or are you already a more experienced mac user? In any case, the battery issue. I believe it is recomended that you charge the battery and then run it fully until it drains and then charge it again. This is usually refered to as conditioning the battery. If you keep your powerbook plugged in a lot, it's often a good idea to do this atleast once a month so the battery performance doesn't degrade as rapidly. I know quite a few people with laptops here at school (mostly dells) who have kept their computers plugged in most of the time without draining the battery every once in a while. Now when they want to use the battery they get like 45min on it instead of the 2.5-3hrs when it was new. Batterys aren't that expensive (around $140 I think for a powerbook). That being said if you condition the battery properly that's $140 saved that you can apply to some cool editing software somewhere in the future.

As far as mice go, get what you're comfortable with. I personally use a wired mouse (logitech MX510) simply because I like the feel of it. Bluetooth mice have come a long way, I'm sure you can find a good one - but I don't use one so I can't make any recomendations.

Also, did you order extra ram from apple? Usually third parties are atleast a bit cheaper - not that I have configured a powerbook recently. If there's still time you might be able to upgrade to 1.25gb for the same price as you paid from apple if you use 3rd party ram (and the install takes 2 min).
thanks for the great welcoming! yeah this is my first mac, but ive used them alot in class this year, i just fell in love with them. thanks for the advice for the battery. i think im gonna go to best buy and the apple store this weekend to look at some mouses.

also, what do u mean get extra ram from 'third parties'. i was really wanting 1.25 gb but it was too expensive for me at the time. where could i get it for the same price as i paid from apple? thanks for the reply!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 12:18 PM

Where are you (in the world?). In the UK I'd get ram from www.crucial.com/uk. I don't know who's good in the US. Or anywhere else for that matter.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:25 PM

Welcome to the forums! You'll have loads of fun with the 12", so: enjoy!

About the bluetooth mice: some of them work only with their own bluetooth receiver, not the internal bluetooth (can't remember which ones, you'll have to do the research.) The receiver may double as a recharching cradle, but it'd still be a pain lugging it around. MacNN reported on a new bluetooth trackball that's just started shipping, so there's no user reports yet:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/11/...ckball.debuts/

The design doesn't look very ergonomic? Pain in the hand or wrist?

Anyway, I normally use a Macally Q-ball, an optical usb trackball with 4 buttons and scrollwheel, which is no longer sold, but it's definitely spoiled me with its features. Macally has been developing a bluetooth optical mouse for quite some time, somewhat vaporware at this point, but that's what I'm waiting for. The main reason I'm hooked is their software: the scrollwheel offers the option of one-page-up and down with each click, rather than the incremental scrolling that every other manufacturer implements. It's a lifesaver either with webpages or docs or spreadsheets.

So, advice: Try out bluetooth mice from a nearby Big Box store with a generous return policy (and ask what that policy is before buying!) Don't hesitate to return the mouse within the 21- or 30-day period if there's anything at all about the mouse that bugs you. Nothing worse than being stuck with a mouse that annoys you everytime you use it...

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 07:29 PM

Well, if you'll be doing graphics, hook up a nice external monitor to your PB to get monitor spanning. This will double your screen real estate.

I've got a monitor at my house and another one at work. Whenever I need the extra screen real estate, I just hook it up.

I often use the external monitor as my main monitor and use the PB's display to store my palettes and secondary windows.

bustamebus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Well, if you'll be doing graphics, hook up a nice external monitor to your PB to get monitor spanning. This will double your screen real estate.

I've got a monitor at my house and another one at work. Whenever I need the extra screen real estate, I just hook it up.

I often use the external monitor as my main monitor and use the PB's display to store my palettes and secondary windows.
yeah i was thinking about getting an external monitor. any u reccoment for just editing videos and such? when i bought the powerbook i realized that 12" is a really small screen so an external monitor would really help.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 08:58 PM

Welcome to the World Of Apple, world of powerbook, if u need any help just drop us a line. This is a really good forum.
Enjoy your powerbook
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

bustamebus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by maCCer
Welcome to the World Of Apple, world of powerbook, if u need any help just drop us a line. This is a really good forum.
Enjoy your powerbook
thanks for the greeting. im really happy that apple is here to save me from all those stupid PC problems. i feel like a new person in a new home! woo!

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by bustamebus
yeah i was thinking about getting an external monitor. any u reccoment for just editing videos and such? when i bought the powerbook i realized that 12" is a really small screen so an external monitor would really help.
Aaah..... I'm no graphic designer so I couldn't tell you what monitor to get. All I did was buy a cheap Colby 17" TV monitor/LCD. It had VGA, component RGB, S-Video, and RCA jack inputs. I bought this so I could also connect my Xbox and PowerBook. When I need it for computer work, I just connect it to the PowerBook. When I don't need ital, I just switch it to the Xbox to play games.

When you connect your monitor, go to System Preferences and click on Displays. This will allow you to arrange your display settings.

I believe you can also go to System Preferences > Display and calibrate your monitor as well.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 12:23 AM

Get an external HD and regularly use carbon copy cloner to make a complete backup. The major danger with laptops is the risk of losing all your special files (images, data, docs) when someone lifts your notebook, or you leave it at the airport. I always update mine before a trip 'Don't leave home without a backup.'

I own BT mice, but I still prefer the corded ones in general -- don't have to worry about batteries.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2005, 05:39 AM

You might check the Peripherals forum here for advice on external displays.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 06:17 PM

Congrats! The 12" PowerBook has always been my fav! For a mouse, I haven't seen anyone recommend the Logitech MX310 yet. It's got the same high res sensor as the MX510. But it's smaller, perfectly symmetrical, and still has extra buttons to program (6 total) for features like Expose, back/forward, etc.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by bustamebus
thanks for the great welcoming! yeah this is my first mac, but ive used them alot in class this year, i just fell in love with them. thanks for the advice for the battery. i think im gonna go to best buy and the apple store this weekend to look at some mouses.

also, what do u mean get extra ram from 'third parties'. i was really wanting 1.25 gb but it was too expensive for me at the time. where could i get it for the same price as i paid from apple? thanks for the reply!
I'm not sure what apple's current pricing on ram is, but you might have better luck buying fomr someone like www.newegg.com or www.crucial.com. I was considering upgrading my 1.25gb to 2gb for xmas. I believe on www.newegg.com I found a few 1gb sticks for just over $100. I'm currently using a 256mb stick from apple and a 1gb stick that I bought from newegg.com when I got my PB (think I paid $130 at the time). Just make sure you're buying the correct type of ram for you're computer and you'll be fine. I believe the new 12" powerbooks are still using normal notebook DDR (PC2700 probably).

Edit: just checked apple and the 12" does indeed still use PC2700 (333mhz) DDR 200-pin SODIMMs

Here is an example of something that would work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145068

I also checked apple prices... $250 for the same upgrade...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules