Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Merry Christmas, I Mean Happy Holidays... otherwise I loose my job...

Merry Christmas, I Mean Happy Holidays... otherwise I loose my job... (Page 6)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2005, 06:25 PM

Oh brother.

People are saying it to be FESTIVE, DAMMIT!!! Take it the way it's intended!! It has nothing to do with being insensitive to moronic stereotypes.

ARGHngtklEWOJCAW$T*NR@)OPU#@ROPAWYU#R OACW#RYU OUAC#QOP UC@QRY%#.... *makes choking sound and logs off for the day*
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Well, the "N" word is derogatory and offensive. "Merry Christmas" is neither
In this thread, it was starting to be. Actually, it was right from the first post.

What is the point in being offended that someone is enjoying their holiday and attempting to share it with you? Are you offended that they are trying to convert you? Are you offended that they are being ethnocentric? Is it sour grapes that Christians outnumber Jews? Is it an underlying hatred of Christians, caused by the ridiculous Religious Right? I'm not mocking you - I'm seriously curious because if someone wanted to share the joy of their holiday with me, I wouldn't be offended - I would be grateful.
Mostly conversion, and not at all sour grapes,* but besides that it's a fair assessment. It's like when beggars say "God Bless." It bugs me, but it doesn't matter, because there aren't all that many of them saying it to me. If everyone I saw suddenly started saying God Bless to me, I'd start telling them "go to hell."

Actually, another thing about it that bothers me is that it exemplifies the impersonal, intrusive, dishonest way that strangers talk to you. They don't care if you have a merry christmas, they just want you to know that they're intending to have one. The fact that their comment excludes you and they don't care proves it. That's why I'm not bothered by the people that say it out of habit, only by the people (like those that are vocal in this thread) that say it out of spite against PCness. This is going to lead into what Kevin said below...

*Jews don't try to convert anyone. We're perfectly happy being the chosen people and letting everyone else do whatever they want.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
Why would you get offended? It's the Christmas Season.
That's the problem. For you it's the Christmas Season. For me it's December, but with more traffic. You're trying to include me in your religion against my will. I resent it.

Right there you are offending an "African American" by calling them a black person. You're using offensive languange by not using the politically correct term. On the revers of your statement if a Black person says something offensive to a white person there is no big deal out of it. Why the double standard?
I'll tell you why the double standard, minorities generally don't oppress majorities (and when they do, the double standard is mysteriously absent). As a member of the majority, you're obliged to be tolerant. You don't have to be, you're free to be as bigoted as you want, but then you have to face the consequences of being a bigot.

The black people I know use "black." If any of them (or you) asked me to use "african american" I would start doing it, out of respect for them. When part of the community asks you to stop using a certain term around them and you refuse, you're disrespecting them. If you're comfortable doing that, you're a bigot.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Some people are being offended simply because they are told to be so.
Actually, I am. I'm reasonably fine with "merry christmas" being a tradition, and when people use it who don't know better, I just tell them I'm Jewish and make them embarassed (or not, whatever). I never would have been in the croud to start "happy holidays" in the first place. The thing that bothers me is when people know that by saying "merry christmas" they are disrespecting a part of their community who has already asked them not to. Language is arbitrary. Intent is not.

porieux
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 06:51 PM

Christmas is secular. I will keep saying it. Christmas trees, santa claus, presents, none of these things are religious in this society. People on both sides of this argument need to get over themselves.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Christmas is secular. I will keep saying it. Christmas trees, santa claus, presents, none of these things are religious in this society. People on both sides of this argument need to get over themselves.
They are secular aspects to a religious holiday. Many of them have roots in pagan celebrations, which has to do with the history of the church and the decision to celebrate Christmas around the same time as a pagan holiday in order to be less conspicuous. You may choose to celebrate this religious holiday in a secular manner, but that doesn't change the fact that it really is a religious holiday.

If everyone in the world decided to go ice skating all eight nights of Hannukah, that wouldn't make it a secular ice skating holiday.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
Mostly conversion, and not at all sour grapes,* but besides that it's a fair assessment. It's like when beggars say "God Bless." It bugs me, but it doesn't matter, because there aren't all that many of them saying it to me. If everyone I saw suddenly started saying God Bless to me, I'd start telling them "go to hell."

Actually, another thing about it that bothers me is that it exemplifies the impersonal, intrusive, dishonest way that strangers talk to you. They don't care if you have a merry christmas, they just want you to know that they're intending to have one. The fact that their comment excludes you and they don't care proves it. That's why I'm not bothered by the people that say it out of habit, only by the people (like those that are vocal in this thread) that say it out of spite against PCness.
It sounds like you don't actually like people. I tend to be this way, but I've been trying to make an effort to assume that people are actually nice.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 09:07 PM

"Every time you say Happy Holidays, an angel gets AIDS." — Jon Stewert, The Daily Show

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 09:33 PM

I say Merry Christmas to my kids in class. Thank goodness no one here actually knows anythign about christmas besides giving gifts and big red hats.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
ARGHngtklEWOJCAW$T*NR@)OPU#@ROPAWYU#R OACW#RYU OUAC#QOP UC@QRY%#.... *makes choking sound and logs off for the day*
You. Are. A. Genius!!!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
It sounds like you don't actually like people. I tend to be this way, but I've been trying to make an effort to assume that people are actually nice.
Jeez, you sure you were judgemental enough in that post? Want to rag on my posture a little bit too?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 10:35 AM

That's the problem. For you it's the Christmas Season. For me it's December, but with more traffic. You're trying to include me in your religion against my will. I resent it.
Firstly like I said it's not My religion. I don't practice any religion but I DO celebrate christmas. I don't get offended when people wish me a Merry Christmas. It's part of the season. Would I be offended if you wished me a Hapy CHanukkah during that time? No. I guess we look at it differently.

I'll tell you why the double standard, minorities generally don't oppress majorities (and when they do, the double standard is mysteriously absent). As a member of the majority, you're obliged to be tolerant. You don't have to be, you're free to be as bigoted as you want, but then you have to face the consequences of being a bigot.

The black people I know use "black." If any of them (or you) asked me to use "african american" I would start doing it, out of respect for them. When part of the community asks you to stop using a certain term around them and you refuse, you're disrespecting them. If you're comfortable doing that, you're a bigot.
Firstly, I'm not in the Majority. Most Chinese are still considered in the minority in the US. I believe according to the numbers soon Whites will be in the minority in the US. But they sitll act like the majority.

Do I get offended if someone thinks I'm korean or Japanese? Do I get offended if they call me an "Oriental" or "Asian American?" No why should I? You are right Most of the general black population use "black" It's only whites and those who want to be "tolerant" and not "offend" that use the term African American when most black people you talk to don't consider themselves "African American." I've spoken to many black people who get offended by the the term African American. Those who come from Say Jamaica or other countries consider them from that country not from Africa.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 10:48 AM

Actually, I am. I'm reasonably fine with "merry christmas" being a tradition, and when people use it who don't know better, I just tell them I'm Jewish and make them embarassed (or not, whatever). I never would have been in the croud to start "happy holidays" in the first place. The thing that bothers me is when people know that by saying "merry christmas" they are disrespecting a part of their community who has already asked them not to. Language is arbitrary. Intent is not.
It still equals out to a bunch of women with their panties in a knot.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
Firstly like I said it's not My religion. I don't practice any religion but I DO celebrate christmas.
Christmas is about Christ. You're imposing it on me. Doesn't matter if you're not christian.

I don't get offended when people wish me a Merry Christmas or call me Oriental.
Fantastic. Hey, do you ever think about anyone but yourself? read this. Out of curiosity, are you saying that no Asians are ever offended by being called Oriental, or that they shouldn't be because you're not? What about "Chinaman?"

Firstly, I'm not in the Majority. Most Chinese...
Christians = majority
Jews (or anyone who feels oppressed by Christ overload) = minority

You think if you're in one minority category you can get away with anything? Hey, I'm Jewish, now I can call gays fags!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
It still equals out to a bunch of women with their panties in a knot.
What do you call it when someone gets pissy just because a clerk says "happy holidays" to them instead of "merry christmas?'

PS. You're an intolerant asshole.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 08:57 PM

the thread is ripe for lockdown®

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 11:20 AM

Seconded.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 11:55 AM

What do you call it when someone gets pissy just because a clerk says "happy holidays" to them instead of "merry christmas?'
No one is getting pissed about that so much as people are sick of whiney ass women like you.
Originally Posted by turtle777
Seconded.
Thirdinated

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 11:56 AM

Oooo! Looky! Time for my annual "I'm offended its Christmas" thread participation!

Lets see if we can't take a different tack this time.

Dear Supreme Being.
Protect me from your followers.

You know what's offensive? That people ACTUALLY waste time on this absurd argument.
Jeez. In this world, THIS is what you pick as something to get offended about?

Why don't y'all just step back from the keyboard. THink about all the **** that is going on in the world right now and then ask an honest question: in light of what I see in this world, is it really worth it?

Happy December, everyone.

MAN, does this planet need an enema.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I'm sick of working for a company that embraces mindless following so much
Agreed with the previous poster: if you don't like mindless following, why are you a Christian??
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 01:26 PM

Ah, jeez. Now that we've posted in the same thread, we're going to get lumped together.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by maxelson
MAN, does this planet need an enema.
Oh, here you go:

Oh, no, wait, I though you said anemone... Oooopps.

-t

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 01:34 PM

and a penis shaped anemone at that. Kinda suits this thread, though.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by boots
and a penis shaped anemone at that. Kinda suits this thread, though.
Will surely help the lockination process

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:40 PM

That thing looks like a penis!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
That thing looks like a penis!

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
You. Are. A. Genius!!!
I reached my saturation point.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

Perhaps we should proliferate the love this thread needed to be about.
I encourage everyone to wish EVERYONE well this holiday season in whatever manner you celebrate. Whatever language. Whatever religion. Or non religion.
Lets all try to remember: this is NOW a thread about good will toward your fellow man. If you think you may be offended by those offering good will from their own POV, well, perhaps you'd best do as Howard Stern asks: turn it off and go find offense elsewhere.
OK, ok. I'll go first.

Swedish: God Jul!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 02:01 PM

I love everybody here! I wish all of you nothing but happiness.... even the weirdos!

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 16, 2005, 02:13 PM

merry locksmas!

Forum Links
Forum Rules