Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]

MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 11)
zoetrope
Jan 14, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
Amazingly enough, the only major app I use that will have this kind of speed bump from emulation is photoshop.
No application gets a "speed bump" from emulation. That is impossible and BS!
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
All the developer systems had Pentium 4. The Core Duos are based off of Pentium M processor (part of the Centrino group). The Pentium M processor was the first intel processor completely redesigned and built from the ground up. All other processors between the original Pentium in the late 90's til now where just modifications from the original.
Actually, the Pentium 4 is the chip Intel has recently made that strays off the normal path for them (looking at x86 only). The articles at Wikipedia speak quite a bit about this:
The Pentium 4 is a seventh-generation x86 architecture microprocessor produced by Intel and is their first all-new CPU design, called the NetBurst architecture, since the Pentium Pro of 1995. Unlike the Pentium II, Pentium III, and various Celerons, the architecture owed little to the Pentium Pro design, and was new from the ground up.
The Pentium M represents a radical departure for Intel, as it is not a low-power version of the desktop-oriented Pentium 4, but instead a heavily modified version of the Pentium III Tualatin design (itself based on the Pentium Pro core design).
Pentium 4 source
Pentium M source
Also Intel Next Gen Microarchitecture is a good read, as Merom will be using it. Merom will be the portable processor replacement for the Core processors in the current MacBook Pro/iMac.
<This space under renovation>

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 04:30 PM

Ok, I realize this whole thread was basically been discussed to death, but I need advice badly.

I currently have a more or less ancient iMac DV which has been my friend and constant companion for years now - but it's time has come. I'm starting college this week, and I clearly want a laptop to carry around campus.

My choice is basically between the '15 inch powerbook, and the lesser of the two MacBook Pros.

My priorities fall like this:
1. Word/Notetaking (I have MS office)
2. Photoshop/publishing (I have CS, I basically only use it for projects and fun stuff)
3. iMovie/DVD burning (I do this alot, and I have a dated version of DVD studio Pro - v.1.5- Will this work under Rosetta? I know Apple has said NO pro apps, but this version is seriously so dated I'm not sure it would know the difference)
4. Web (high-spped, so no problem either way here)
5. Games (truth be told, this is a higher priority, but I don't want to admit I'm spending $1800 dollars for gaming...) I'm especially fond of a couple I can't yet play - SimCity 4, The Sims 2, and RTC 3. I own and play Civ III, Warcraft III (barely on an iMac DV...), and AoE II, since these all run fine on a G3, would they be all right in Rosetta?

I just don't know...
I've been losing sleep over the matter (not much... but still...)
Please help!

btw, I don't need a modem, FW800 or basically anything I would surender port wise in the MacBook Pro.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
No application gets a "speed bump" from emulation. That is impossible and BS!
A 'speed bump', for those that drive, is a LOSS of speed, as in 'loss of speed due to emulation'.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 04:38 PM

Maybe, but in the computer world, a "speed bump" is when the speed of the computer is "bumped up" (increased) a bit with a new release.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Timetheus
Ok, I realize this whole thread was basically been discussed to death, but I need advice badly.

I currently have a more or less ancient iMac DV which has been my friend and constant companion for years now - but it's time has come. I'm starting college this week, and I clearly want a laptop to carry around campus.

My choice is basically between the '15 inch powerbook, and the lesser of the two MacBook Pros.

2. Photoshop/publishing (I have CS, I basically only use it for projects and fun stuff)
3. iMovie/DVD burning (I do this alot, and I have a dated version of DVD studio Pro - v.1.5- Will this work under Rosetta? I know Apple has said NO pro apps, but this version is seriously so dated I'm not sure it would know the difference)
5. Games (truth be told, this is a higher priority, but I don't want to admit I'm spending $1800 dollars for gaming...) I'm especially fond of a couple I can't yet play - SimCity 4, The Sims 2, and RTC 3. I own and play Civ III, Warcraft III (barely on an iMac DV...), and AoE II, since these all run fine on a G3, would they be all right in Rosetta?

I just don't know...
Please help!

btw, I don't need a modem, FW800 or basically anything I would surender port wise in the MacBook Pro.
The Powerbooks are underpowered and totally overpriced. They are already out of date today so there is no real point getting one. Go for the MacBook as it will be much more futureproof!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 05:26 PM

According to Appleinsider, the new Intel Macs use build 8G1165.

I found an Intel Mac on the XBench site, that claims to be the Intel iMac. Here are the results from that computer: http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=150950

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by new_wave_music
I noticed that this version of the Intel Dual processor is still 32 bit?

I'll wait for the 64 bit revision.
Why do you care about 64-bit? These systems can't support more than 4GB RAM anyway (you can't get 4GB DDR2 DIMMs).
64-bit seems to still be firmly in the "biggar numbers!" hype without any broad advantage on the desktop.

All the developer systems had Pentium 4. The Core Duos are based off of Pentium M processor (part of the Centrino group). The Pentium M processor was the first intel processor completely redesigned and built from the ground up. All other processors between the original Pentium in the late 90's til now where just modifications from the original.
You're confused. Core Duo and the Pentium M are part of the P6 family, which started with the Pentium Pro (the Pentium was P5). The Pentium 4 (NetBurst architecture, P7) was an entirely new

keep in mind all the software developers had to go on were Pentium 4, they had no way of optimizing for the dual core.
You don't need a dual core chip to develop or run multithreaded programs. Also, the Pentium 4 in the developer machines supported hyperthreading so the developers could evaluate threaded performance to a limited degree.

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
I don't need fw800. I don't even really like fw400 truth be told - I've found it to be finicky and temperamental. No such problems with USB2.0
Oh you're going to get attacked for that comment.

0) Many new updates include:
c) can run 30" external displays

3) The pixels on the screen (1440 x 900) is the same as included in the original PB17, and slightly less than the last generation G4 AlPB15 to make room for the built-in iSight.

6) The internal DVD burner is NOT DL due to the size constraint of the current machine.
0c) Not new, the final 15 and 17" G4 have dual link DVI too.

3) The 15" PowerBooks used a relatively nonstandard aspect ratio (1.5, more square). The 15" MacBook Pro has an aspect ratio of 1.6, which is by far the most common for widescreen computers.

6) The optical drive in the MacBook Pro is shorter (9mm, IIRC) than the optical drive in previous PowerBooks (12.5mm, IIRC). Did it have to be shorter because of case constraints? I don't know, but it is the fastest burner available in the shorter size.

Originally Posted by aplmd
1) Intel has really done an outstanding job in the past year regarding there R&D with dual processors, and the next big step going to 64-bit processors this fall with Merom (some say September), which would be inline with when the next MacBook Pro update probably will be (apple typically updates their notebooks every 9 months if you look at the historical data). If I buy one now (which will probably be 8X faster than my 1GHz Titanium), will I be disappointed that there will be a big change in the architechure of the chip design with 64-bit. I guess what I am asking, what will 64bit give me vs 32 bit (besides some improvement in speed).

3) When will the programs that require signicant CPU (photoshop, etc) plan to come out universal. (My gueass is that most developers thought they would have until June to put things together since Steve made it sound like it would take a year to get the first Mactels out.

4) There will be some problems with the REV A with a whole new chip design (there always are). Most will be fixed with gradual updates in the software, but I feel that apple has pushed this out maybe "too fast". It had to get something out, and waiting until spring might have been too close to when Merom comes out (now they will get 8-10 months prior to next upgrade, vs 5-6). The reason I believe this is apple cannot even tell us what the battery life is, since all they have is prototypes, and are "tweaking" the OS.
1) 64-bit gives you the ability to have more than 4GB RAM, but at the present time that's not very useful in a laptop because 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs won't be out for a while (if ever... even 2GB isn't yet available at PC2-5300). Real performance gains for desktop users have yet to be seen in broad usage; a few programs see a decent increase, but most see very little (or can even be slower).

3) My guess is that the major Mac software houses who use Xcode will have Universal Binaries out before the end of the year. Those using other development environments may take longer or abandon OSX all together (if expected revenue doesn't outweigh the cost).

4) For Apple's machines in the past, Rev A was really a new product that no one else had developed before. Centrino Duo (Napa/Yonah) is the third generation of the Centrino platform (following Centrino/Banias and Sonoma/Dothan) and there are many other OEMs using it (so bugs are found quicker). Based on the battery capacity, past Centrino platforms, and Yonah's power consumption, I'd expect battery life to range from 1.5-2 to 4-6 hours depending on configuration and use.

We need to add the list of universal apps to the FAQ:

iLife (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb), Pages, Keynote, Apple Mail, Safari

And apps that seem to run fine via Rosetta:
Office (word, powerpoint, excel)

Amazingly enough, the only major app I use that will have this kind of speed bump from emulation is photoshop.

I hear a lot about these 64bit processors scheduled for release this fall -- but none seem to me to be designed for mobile applications. I thought those, basically advanced Yonahs, are not going to be released until 2007 at the earliest. These 64bit processors are going to be great for the power / desktop crowd; I think your comment about timeline is more important for the iMac than the laptops.
Mozilla also has Intel builds of their three big OSX apps (Firefox, Camino, and Thunderbird), although I believe they are exclusive instead of universal.

Intel's Merom is a 64-bit chip targeted at laptops; it will be the first member of INGM. As I've said before, I don't see 64-bit having a large impact on the mobile market (or desktop computing in general for systems that support less than 4GB RAM [due to avalable slots and densities]).

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 05:31 PM

I would say go for the MacBook Pro. Out of the gate, it is going to run everything faster then your iMac even if it runs under the Rosetta emulation. Then, over time as the applications get updated, you will see another speed boost.

The only things that might not work are going to be games that run in Classic. I expect Blizzard will be on the ball with releasing a Warcraft III Universal version, the other games might be stuck in Rosetta for a long time. As far as Sims 2 and Sim City 4, wait for a Universal version of those, as they are pretty demanding of current Macs, and Rosetta would likely run them very poorly. The last newsletter from Aspyr in December tended to indicate Doom 3 and Sims 2 will be their first Universal versions.
<This space under renovation>

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 10:12 PM

For your needs, definitely a MacBook Pro. Why not? Only people using Final Cut or apps that will not run under Rosetta need a Powerbook, and they'd be better off with a desktop anyway.

DVD Studio Pro probably won't work, but you can burn DVDs with other apps (Toast).

Slim

I just don't know...
Please help!

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 10:18 PM

>Mozilla also has Intel builds of their three big OSX apps (Firefox, Camino, and Thunderbird), >although I believe they are exclusive instead of universal.

Where can these be downloaded, and I suppose you mean builds that run native on Intel Macs?

Slim

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 10:25 PM

Does anyone know if it will support XP? I would like to be able have OSX and XP installed side by side, for reasons related to MS Outlook.

I've heard that it can, and I've heard that it can't. Does anyone know what the deal is?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by slimmy
For your needs, definitely a MacBook Pro. Why not? Only people using Final Cut or apps that will not run under Rosetta need a Powerbook, and they'd be better off with a desktop anyway.

DVD Studio Pro probably won't work, but you can burn DVDs with other apps (Toast).
SJobs said at the keynote that all of Final Cut Studio (as well as Aperature and Logic) will be Universal Binaries in March 2006.

Originally Posted by slimmy
>Mozilla also has Intel builds of their three big OSX apps (Firefox, Camino, and Thunderbird), >although I believe they are exclusive instead of universal.

Where can these be downloaded, and I suppose you mean builds that run native on Intel Macs?
STFW

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Does anyone know if it will support XP? I would like to be able have OSX and XP installed side by side, for reasons related to MS Outlook.

I've heard that it can, and I've heard that it can't. Does anyone know what the deal is?
The Intel Macs use EFI and the 32-bit version of Windows does not support EFI.
However, EFI has an optional legacy compatibily option to work with OSs that don't support EFI and Apple says they haven't done anything to stop people from running Windows (such as disabling the legacy compatibility). Also, it may be possible to use third party bootloaders (LILO works with EFI and can launch Windows) if NTLDR won't work. Intel's Australian office made a comment that suggests Windows XP should work on Intel EFI hardware.
I doubt you can boot the Windows XP installer out-of-the-box, but I think Windows XP will be running on Intel Macs within a month.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281830
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd expect battery life to range from 1.5-2 to 4-6 hours depending on configuration and use.
I guess that narrows it down.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 12:02 AM

For those who were concerned about performance in Rosetta, don't be.

Someone ran the PowerMac forum's Photoshop benchmark on his new Intel iMac: 65 seconds.

So even when emulating PowerPC, Core Duo is clock for clock competitive with PowerPC for Photoshop. I wonder how the native version will do.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 12:02 AM

a gentleman in the Imac forum ran the photoshop benchmark on his new intel imac and under rosetta it scores 65 seconds, which is only a little slower than DP 2.5GHZ with 2.5GB of RAM (49secs I believe it was) based on researching the thread dedicated to photoshop benchmarks.

Some people have alluded to the fact that they give the shipping date that everyone has gotten (Feb 15th) no creditbility. Does apple usually ship faster? I have never bought a REV A anything before and am curious if I should expect it sooner

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I guess that narrows it down.
My estimates at the extremes:
1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM, wireless on, maximum screen brightness, full CPU load = 1.5 hours
1.66Ghz, 512MB RAM, wireless off, minimal screen brightness, mostly idle = 5 hours

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

Someone ran the PowerMac forum's Photoshop benchmark on his new Intel iMac: 65 seconds.
Sweet! My 'ol Tibook tool 4 minutes. Imagine what the Universal Binary version will do.

Voch

zoetrope
Jan 15, 2006, 03:41 AM

For those who were concerned about performance in Rosetta, don't be.

So even when emulating PowerPC, Core Duo is clock for clock competitive with PowerPC for Photoshop. I wonder how the native version will do.
That's very encouraging! 65 seconds under emulation is quite fast. Nice. That's a little under twice the time I clocked on my dual 2.7= 39 seconds. When PS runs with a universal binary it should be very fast indeed. It seems that OSX has "teh snap" running on Intel chips and this is crucial for Apple. Steve may just make that play for marketshare pay off. Apple may see double digit marketshare in a couple of years.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 04:45 AM

I'm a bit on the fence. Not, necessarily, because I fear potential "Rev A" issues...it's simply because this will be a WANT purchase and not a NEED purchase. I've got a 3 month old 12" iBook that can easily last me for the forseeable future...but I REALLY WANT a dual-core Intel MacBook!

I have the money...And I will be doing one of two things:

1) Ordering a MacBook Pro the first week of February.

2) Putting approx. $2500 into a 7 month CD and purchasing a new Intel-based Mac notebook in September.

Option 1 satisfies my instant-gratification needs...however, I am assuming that with Option 2 I will be able to select from at least a few different Intel-based notebook options.

I THINK the smart move for me is Option 2, but we'll see if I can actually wait that long!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 05:39 AM

2500 in a 6 month CD nets you about $25... I'd go for the MBP now unless you need FW800 or an internal DL DVD burner.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 06:06 AM

I just don't know...
Please help!

Buy RevB. It will be out in March/April. (or at least by then the price will be lowered on all current PB's and even the MacCrap Blows notebooks.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 06:28 AM

2500 in a 6 month CD nets you about $25... I'd go for the MBP now unless you need FW800 or an internal DL DVD burner.
It's more about simply putting that money asside for 7 months and then making the move when there is more selection available. It DOES kill me to wait...however, if I end up getting a choice between a couple of different screen sizes, speed, etc, that would be a good thing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
It's more about simply putting that money asside for 7 months and then making the move when there is more selection available. It DOES kill me to wait...however, if I end up getting a choice between a couple of different screen sizes, speed, etc, that would be a good thing.
Buy it now. Have some fun. Get experience with the new kit. In seven months from now, when you have more selection, prices have dropped, etc., buy a new model and sell off the old one on Ebay.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Buy it now. Have some fun. Get experience with the new kit. In seven months from now, when you have more selection, prices have dropped, etc., buy a new model and sell off the old one on Ebay.
You have yours on order yet?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 06:53 AM

Not quite. I'm waiting to see if Intel Macs will run MoHAA under Rosetta.

No, seriously, I want to check fan noise and battery time myself. As soon as I hear a quiet Mac Book Pro getting 4h off a full battery (dimmed screen, light use) my 1.83/2GB/100GB-7200/256MB will be on order.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
No, seriously, I want to check fan noise and battery time myself. As soon as I hear a quiet Mac Book Pro getting 4h off a full battery (dimmed screen, light use) my 1.83/2GB/100GB-7200/256MB will be on order.
Nah. Just order now! Enjoy that noisy MacBook and then when Apple resolves heat/battery life/etc issues later this year, sell it on Ebay and get another.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 06:59 AM

Nah, I wouldn't want to have to live with a noisy MBP for 7 months.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 07:31 AM

mavherzog, why not serll your iBook on ebay, and then buy a new Macbook Pro. I know you said you have the money, so you wont need the extramoney from the sale of the iBook, but at least that way you will think of it as less of a waste because you wont have an iBook sitting in the corner collecting dust
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
mavherzog, why not serll your iBook on ebay, and then buy a new Macbook Pro. I know you said you have the money, so you wont need the extramoney from the sale of the iBook, but at least that way you will think of it as less of a waste because you wont have an iBook sitting in the corner collecting dust
The MBP will definitely replace my iBook (I'd either sell it off later or hand it down to one of the kids). I don't see purchasing the MBP as a waste at ALL. I DO, however, think it might be wise to see what the first owners have to say about them and also see if a few additional models get released over the spring/summer.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 09:17 AM

it's looks like the MBP will cane the pants off the old powerbooks, even under emulation.

Now if I've got a spare £1500 lying around...

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 11:40 AM

I may be the only one, but mavherzog, I think you should wait. There will be many more apps ported to Intel (or Universal) by this fall, and almost all of Apple's computers will have Intel processors inside. Get some use out of that iBook. It's still a great machine, regardless of what comes out in the near future.

Come on, half the fun is waiting! The next few months will surely pass by quickly as Apple releases more and more Intel products. I think you'll be glad you waited.

awarenessengine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 06:18 PM

I'd keep your cash for the 30th Anniversary Apple Computer. ;-)

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I may be the only one, but mavherzog, I think you should wait. There will be many more apps ported to Intel (or Universal) by this fall, and almost all of Apple's computers will have Intel processors inside. Get some use out of that iBook. It's still a great machine, regardless of what comes out in the near future.

Come on, half the fun is waiting! The next few months will surely pass by quickly as Apple releases more and more Intel products. I think you'll be glad you waited.
Good advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait. My wife will be SHOCKED! (I typically don't wait for anything!)

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 09:00 PM

actual fact thinking about it, I want (note: want, not need) a 64bit one, and with the fancy flash HD thingy (speed/battery life) and a new form factor case. And a keyboard that changes the key symbols to match the current language/program, and other stuff I can't imagine that will blow my socks off

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
actual fact thinking about it, I want (note: want, not need) a 64bit one
Why 64-bit?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 09:08 PM

b/c sixty-for bit can use liek 64 trillion gigahertz of RAM!

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
S-VIDEO is DEAD. PERIOD. S-VIDEO is absolutely stupid to include on a computer. seriously, besides the video cable that COMES WITH THE mac book pro has an adapter.

Stop using S-VIDEO it's so old it's not funny.
...unless, of course, you need to plug into a TV with only s-video (and component). In other words, SVideo will be here for a long time.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
oh that's good. I saw a AMD x2 running h.264 the other day under XP and was surprised that is struggling. Then again my PB is a bit lame at doing it as well.
...the answer to this, I think, is "it depends". My PB 1.33 playing a .MOV in h.264 is a dog. A PC playing that same file in Windows Media Player has a fairly small performance hit; to play the same file in Windows Quicktime and the playback skips, just like on the Mac.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 10:12 PM

I just don't know...
Please help!

If you can stand to wait until it ships, I'd hold out for a ProBook. From what I'm reading CS runs ok through Rosetta, and it's only a matter of time until it goes native. I would think any game you can play on a DV should play under emulation, but come on, you really want to buy a new machine and not open it up? Civ 4 will be out for Mac soon and I'm sure it will ship universal. As for DVD studio, you may have to upgrade, but if it's just for fun, are you sure the new iDVD '06 won't suffice. It's got tons more features than before.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 10:25 PM

Something interested noted from the iMac forum:

"It looks like all Core Duo chips are Socket 478."

That means that the current MacBook Pro machines (like the iMac) may be eligible for future CPU upgrades from Intel.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 11:00 PM

I've pretty much settled on the MacBook (Thanks to everyone, btw), it was mostly just fear holding me back anyway...

I'll live without DVD studio Pro... I guess... =)

I do have another question though, I read over in the iMac forum that someone who recently got their iMac Core Duo through a bit of good luck was playing World of Warcraft under Rosetta, that's a fairly demanding game, isn't it? I thought the lack of AltiVec in Rosetta was supposed to make higher end games unusable, should I hold out hope or is this just a fluke (does WoW even use Altivec?)? Obviously I can downlaod demos and find out that way one game at a time... but I'm curious.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 11:02 PM

I've pretty much settled on the MacBook (Thanks to everyone, btw), it was mostly just fear holding me back anyway...

I do have another question though, I read over in the iMac forum that someone who recently got their iMac Core Duo through a bit of good luck was playing World of Warcraft under Rosetta, that's a fairly demanding game, isn't it? I thought the lack of AltiVec in Rosetta was supposed to make higher end games unusable, should I hold out hope or is this just a fluke (does WoW even use Altivec?)? Obviously I can downlaod demos and find out that way one game at a time... but I'm curious.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 11:02 PM

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

sorry for the double post...
impatience...

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 11:12 PM

Impatiens...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 11:39 PM

That means that the current MacBook Pro machines (like the iMac) may be eligible for future CPU upgrades from Intel.
That was my comment. Since Intel's Processor Spec Finder doesn't list the 2Ghz Core Duo, it may also be omitting the BGA 479 versions too; that would explain why the MacBook Pro has a lower clockrate than the iMacs.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by foo2
...unless, of course, you need to plug into a TV with only s-video (and component). In other words, SVideo will be here for a long time.
You mean composite, right? Component is only on relatively new tvs!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 01:16 AM

i don't think that is true. Socket 478 was for the Pentium 4 processors (around 2.0 Ghz) for desktops made around 2002. I know this for a fact because last year, i had to buy a new motherboard for my computer that bought in 2002. Not only that, but it was a cheap $500 dell, so it wasn't top of the line.

i seriously doubt they would revert back to 2002 (or earlier) technology
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules