Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook, Macbook pro or iBook

Powerbook, Macbook pro or iBook
shunsuke
Jan 28, 2006, 08:29 PM

hi guys new here, would like to seek advise on which portable mac to get. ill be using it for design work,(majoring in visual communication design). i'm torn between this three as the powerbook has always been a trusted machine but it's gonna be replaced by the MBP. Yet, i've heard some bad on the MBP as well, like it's software compatibility, some encoding and stuff. The ibook is another choice as it's cheaper but it might not be all that suitable as i need a more powerful machine to last me around 3 years.

so guys, im comparing the 15" pb against the 15.4" 1.83 ghz mbp against the 14" ibook. TIA.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 08:37 PM

The MacBook Pro will get you through school. As a pro, The PowerBook does me fine. It's all about ROI. There'll be less compatibility issues as time goes on. Not that there are any to report.

Heck, I didn't even have a computer until the end of college. Damn spoiled kids.

j/k

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 08:50 PM

Try the MBP, for what your gonna be doing you can run most of your programs thru rosetta now, and in a few months it'll be native.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 28, 2006, 09:58 PM

sorry noob here ^_^" but wat's rosetta been hearing this term for awhile and wats ROI? im intendin to use it as a desktop replacement as well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by shunsuke
sorry noob here ^_^" but wat's rosetta been hearing this term for awhile and wats ROI? im intendin to use it as a desktop replacement as well.
Rosetta = PPC emulation on the new Intel Macs
ROI = Return on Investment (although I'd say you're a fool if you consider a computer purchase an investment)

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 28, 2006, 10:48 PM

oh ok so wat's ur pick then? the pb or the mbp

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 28, 2006, 10:58 PM

anyway does rosetta slows down the software run speed? compare to a powerbook runnin a normal photoshop cs, how does the mbp fair?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2006, 11:28 PM

I'd go with the MBP...
Yes, software running in Rosetta will be slower than it would be running natively on the Intel chips. The Core Duo iMacs (running PPC software through Rosetta) are about as fast as the G5 iMacs, so the MBP should be faster than the PowerBooks today, and much faster in the future as more Universal Binaries are released.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006, 11:55 PM

the intel version of the iBook will likely be released when the single-core version of Yonah ships later this spring.

If you can wait a few months, that machine might be better for you -- it will have much better battery life.

Otherwise, right now the MBP is, IMHO, the best laptop Apple is currently selling (and maybe shipping soon).

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 12:12 AM

the factor that's stoppin me from gettin a mbp is the fear of bugs and stuff. i noe it's a mac but there's intel in it as well... =/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2006, 12:52 AM

the factor that's stoppin me from gettin a mbp is the fear of bugs and stuff. i noe it's a mac but there's intel in it as well... =/
Look in the iMac forums for reports of bugs with the new Intel iMacs; you won't find any.
Also, Apple's Rev A products are no more or less buggy than the later revisions; that's just a myth.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 01:10 AM

Go with the MBP. No question. not only will it be faster, run cooler but programs will run faster as the code becomes more optimized.

I dont think that there will be many bugs because the PB is essentially the same - the only thing new is the mobo so its not like its a totally redesigned 'book.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 03:55 AM

do we need rosetta to run any software?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 04:58 AM

Depends on the software.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 09:02 AM

You will need rosetta to run programs that were written for PowerPC macs. However, you will never notice Rosetta is running (visually that is - speed will be affected), as it runs in the background - you dont have to 'open' rosetta, programs just run in it automatically - its like Rosetta isnt there. Rosetta is a technology, not a program.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 10:14 AM

oh so rosetta is already in built into the mbp, we do not need to specifically install it?

mikochu
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2006, 01:21 PM

I posted a thread like this one in the iBook forum. (link)

I ended up buying an iBook, but I have a DC 2.3ghz Power Mac at my apartment. I bought the DC 2.3ghz Power Mac for working on video, 3D, and graphics. The iBook is for taking notes, browsing the web, etc. while in school.

I think the MBP would be the best buy if you can wait for the software releases. But if you need it now, I'd get a PowerBook. For Visual Communication (I'm a Digital Media major), I'd get either a 15" or 17" PB...especially the newer ones with the higher resolution screens.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 02:36 PM

That's awesome. I'm glad to see kids getting their digital on.

I hope you guys still paint and draw with pencil and paper, though.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 08:58 PM

@iomatic, haha yes definitely! juz had an assignment to paint my own portrait almoz finish now =P

@mikochu, wat kinda software are u talking abt? from the rosetta list, my main software like the cs suite n MM are usable. but my question is, how does such ppc software runspeed on mbp go against the normal runspeed on a powerbook.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 09:03 PM

btw, can anyone hit me wif a link or advise me as to the negativities of the mbp compare to the pb? TIA! =x

mikochu
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2006, 09:10 PM

Like...for me, I need to be able to use Final Cut Pro _now_. If I bought a Mac Book Pro, I'd have to wait until mid February for the laptop, then wait until the end of March for Final Cut Pro. My first project has a deadline of February 22nd. Yeah, Adobe CS may work in Rosetta...but it's no walk in the park.

I remember reading an article about the pros/cons (mostly cons) of the new MBP versus the PowerBooks. One of the big things was Firewire 800...
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 29, 2006, 09:37 PM

yeah i've browse tru the mbp thread and they were sayin abt the firewire, modem and stuff hmm... wat do u guys think? if i were to get the mbp now is it better as i will only put it into real use ard july? rite now it's more of ps and stuff so it's ok but come after that it's more intense...

juz wanna confirm wat hickey wrote, afw mths later it will be native, is this justifiable?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2006, 09:53 PM

yeah i've browse tru the mbp thread and they were sayin abt the firewire, modem and stuff hmm... wat do u guys think? if i were to get the mbp now is it better as i will only put it into real use ard july? rite now it's more of ps and stuff so it's ok but come after that it's more intense...

juz wanna confirm wat hickey wrote, afw mths later it will be native, is this justifiable?
Would it kill you to type out proper English?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 11:30 PM

Unfortunatly, I think that Apple is going to drop the fw 800 as I think it will be replaced by eSATA. Pity, fw 800 is pretty good.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 11:53 PM

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1499

Bummer, I think a new, black macintelitosh iBook would have been stunning with a black nano.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Would it kill you to type out proper English?
Alright, I just want to confirm if the universal binary of Photoshop CS is scheduled to be release around March and also to verify hickey's post.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 12:54 AM

2 posts from another forum,

" yes u can use rosetta... that's what's happening... EXTREMELY SLOW on adobe cs for the macbook pro... even slower than powerbook..."

"the only problems are the software compatibility at the moment... heard from those who tried it out that it takes as long as 3 mins to open up adobe photoshop..."

This makes me wonder, how is the mbp's efficiency against the pb while using photoshop?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 04:57 AM

Probably unacceptable for pros, but we won't be buying until the second version of the MacBook Pro comes out, and CS3 is out in Universal or Intel-native (probably Universal, as there are PowerPCs still out in good use) anyway.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 09:28 AM

Then do you have any idea as to when the 2nd version of the mbp and the cs3 is gonna hit the stores?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 11:35 AM

June 24th and November 12th.

Just kidding.

No idea, and neither does anyone else. Right now. The old macnn advice goes, "if you need it now, get it now."

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 12:04 PM

Yeah i was guessin the same answer, oh well... but does office for mac require rosetta? and how bt compatibilty issues wif instant messenger like adium n msn? still have bt 15 days to decide...

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 12:40 PM

Yes, Office would require Rosetta, but since it's already in the OS, it's a non-issue. All applications should maintain compatibility with the Mac.

I think you have nothing to worry about. ROI is something we worry about when we get older. Mark, doesn't, because he likes to throw his money away. (jk)

Anecdotally, Apple has had amazing success transitioning from CISC to RISC chips (680x0 to PPC), apps running under translation and emulation (OS 9 inside OS X, Rosetta), all seamlessly to the user. Amazing what they've done. Dare I say, more incredible than anything Microsoft has ever done in terms of Operating System migration and evolution.

turbopants
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 01:07 PM

If you're going to be doing graphic design work, I would not recommend the 14" iBook. Just not high enough screen resolution for that kind of work. I'd go with the 15" MacBook Pro. Fast new chip, high resolution screen, good size and weight. You should be set.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 01:11 PM

I'm proficient in Photoshop and I'm taking a Photoshop class this semester to fulfill my major. I just did some homework for the class on my iBook and although I was able to do it, I wouldn't want to do all of projects on this. Add other programs to the mix and you'll work Expose out of commission.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 01:12 PM

im decidin on the pb or the mbp now, am just a lil unease on the mbp performance for photoshop...

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 01:14 PM

well you got your power mac to back you up =)

mikochu
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 01:42 PM

Yeah

If you can deal with the slow performance of Photoshop (PPC) for now...until the Intel version comes out, the MBP is the way to go. From what I've read, I think the Intel Core Duo is on part with the G5 processors. People say "OH OH OH, the Intel iMac is twice as fast as the G5 one!" Well, you have to realize the Core Duo has...two cores. It's the power of the G5 without all the power consumption.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 02:05 PM

im decidin on the pb or the mbp now, am just a lil unease on the mbp performance for photoshop...
It depends on the machine you're using NOW for Photoshop, too. I'm coming from a TiBook/667Mhz so even in emulation it'll presumably be faster than what I have now and just get better when I upgrade to CS3/whatever. Also, for simple editing, I use the fantastic GraphicConverter, which is already a Universal Binary.

Voch

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 09:17 PM

well im on my fujitsu s6130 which is really slow but i've also using a power mac g4 in school.

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 31, 2006, 08:01 AM

So guys, am wondering if I'll see a good leap of performance for my mbp coming from a old fujitsu s6130 and a powermac g4. Anyone?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 09:58 AM

So guys, am wondering if I'll see a good leap of performance for my mbp coming from a old fujitsu s6130 and a powermac g4. Anyone?
For applications running native for intel, you will see a big speed increase.

Indications are that for those apps running in Rosetta, you will still be about the speed of a G4 (or faster, if the G4 is an older model).

shunsuke  (op)
Jan 31, 2006, 11:06 AM

yea the g4 is old one haha

HazMacFan
Feb 2, 2006, 11:18 AM

anyway does rosetta slows down the software run speed? compare to a powerbook runnin a normal photoshop cs, how does the mbp fair?
Adobe posted this FAQ about CS2 and PPC vs. Intel. They are sticking with their development cycle so no CS2 on Intel and guessing by the FAQ, 18/24 months from when CS2 was released.

They say CS2 will run (slowly) using Rosetta but its not really supported. Only one issue they have with it so far.

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 11:39 AM

Perhaps get a Mac Mini for now, and move to a MBP once the transition is further on and the bugs have been sorted out?

Kinda wishing I did that now... oh well. My PB's good.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules