Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS X icons in OS9?

Mac OS X icons in OS9?
gbvaughan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 02:03 AM

Hello!
I would very much like to have a few of those gorgeous OS X icons on my OS 9 desktop at their full size.
Does anyone know of a way to get these sizes to be recognized and displayed?

Thanks!

Ben

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2000, 02:53 AM

OS 9 icons are 32x32 pixels. OS X icons are 128x128 pixels. So sure you can go grab them in OS X but you will have to scale them down to 32x32 for OS 9 using Photoshop (or similar). By doing this you will no longer have the big, hi-res icon you think looks so good. So in short, no, you cannot really do this.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 20, 2000, 03:14 AM

I just tried this upon reading the opening post here. I booted into OSX and then dragged an icon from the inspector window (command + i). I then dragged the alias over to my OS 9 partition.

I tried a generic folder and an actual Hard Disk icon. The hard disk icon maintains it's original appearance under OS 9, but the folder defaults to an OS 9.0.4 folder icon.

Just a sidenote (alot probably already know this) by using the inspector (command + i while highlighting an item) and dragging the icon out your'e actually creating an alias that you can place just about anywhere in OSX.

Maybe 9.1 will offer some other options with using OSX icons within the 9.1 environment.

Mike

Just wanted to add just now I moved the icon on the desktop and it actually changed from the OSX icon to the generic 9x hard drive icon before my eyes!!!

so much for that idea

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 12-20-2000).]

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2000, 04:48 AM

http://www.railheadDesign.com/
click on icons and then osx pack it still works
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

gbvaughan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 12:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I was hoping for a resedit fix to enable support or something like that. Guess I'll wait for the release of OS X. The beta is to slow with all the debug code still in it.

Thanks,
Ben

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 20, 2000, 12:40 PM

Aussie thanks for the link. I just downloaded 'em.

Mike

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2000, 02:28 PM

What in the heck are you guys talking about?? Of course you can use OS X icons in OS 9, and no, you don't need to use Photoshop to do it! All you have to do is paste the icon onto the desired object, and if it's an OS X icon, OS 9 will display the maximum size that it knows how (32x32) and OS X will display the maximum size that *it* knows how (128x128).

The reason that your folder icon changed was because it is a generic icon, not a custom icon. OS X and OS 9 have different generic icons for the same object. Try this: Copy the folder icon, then paste it back on (which will create a custom icon that is, in fact, identical to OS X's generic one). Then boot into OS 9. Voila; you'll have a folder with a 32x32 OS X folder icon. No, you can't get the bigger size 'cause OS 9 doesn't have support for icons bigger than 32x32 (I think the OS itself can do 48x48, but the Finder doesn't know how).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2000, 04:18 PM

Yes you can let the OS resize the icon to 32x32 but it will look even worse than if you resize it yourself. But either way you are cutting down the resolution of your icon and its not going to look as good as the OS X hi-res icons.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2000, 02:35 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to expand a little on the last thing that Oneota said in a previous post. The "classic" Mac OS 8.5+ did introduce system-level support for the so-called "huge" icon size of 48x48 pixels [I guess "huge" is a relative term :-)], a.k.a. the "default" TIFF icon size in NextStep / Mac OS X Server, and the "scaled down" icon size in early Mac OS X. Also, Mac OS 8.5+ introduced support for photo-realistic 32-bit-colour or "deep" icons. In theory at least, any application (including the Finder) that's aware of the new all-in-one 'icns' resource (which houses the "huge" size and the "deep" variants, and can also include the other sizes) should be able to display these larger and/or deeper icons.

E.g., as the author of the shareware icon editor Iconographer has mentioned, Sherlock2's Search/Stop buttons are 48x48 icons. This can be confirmed by browsing Sherlock2's 'icns' resource in Iconographer or any other 'icns'-aware icon editor. However, as Oneota mentioned, it seems that the Mac OS 8.5.x and 9.0.x Finders were never updated to natively display icons at sizes larger than 32x32.

In any event, the 48x48 "huge" size doesn't have quite the same look as the 128x128 "preview" or "thumbnail" size (although the look & size may be considered better or worse, depending on your tastes). As others have said, Mac OS X will probably remain the best place to display 128x128 icons in the foreseeable future [unless there are some major suprises coming in Mac OS 9.1+ ;-)].

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 12-21-2000).]

iPaul UK
Senior User
Dec 21, 2000, 09:02 PM

This may or may not be of use..
http://www.opuscc.com/download/index.shtml

On that website/page is an Aqua theme pack thing.. Changes lots of things so that OS 9 looks quite a lot like OS X, including icons. Albeit in OS 9 friendly resolutions. Well worth the short download time.

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2000, 09:27 PM

Icons are cooler in Mac OS X than they are in 9?? Oh, I'm jealous

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

Forum Links
Forum Rules