Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Anyone been embedding Flash 8?

Anyone been embedding Flash 8?
skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 12:07 PM

I made a banner, and published it as Flash 8, I only used Flash 8 as I thought the text looked a bit sharper.

So I get feedback from the boss, some people aren't seeing the flash.

Gah!

So I back it down to Flash 6 and cross my fingers that everyone will see it.

Then the fun starts, I try using the default flash detect settings, my plan is to have a flash 6 movie under a flash 8 movie in the future should I need flash 8 for some reason.

( If the browser can't see the flash it see's the default, default could be a .gif even, I don't want to have to force viewers to have to download the latest player )

.. so anyway, publishing with the default flash detect settings, I'm not seeing any flash at all in win firefox.

The satay method doesn't seem to want to work anymore, and I can't seem to be able to remove the flash 8 player from my windows box for some reason ( win 2000 ).

I haven't even looked at the Active X issue yet.

So what method works for you?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 01:38 PM

there is no perfect solution for flash... and you will never get 100% compatibility...

If you want near 100% compatibility, use an animated gif.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 09:31 PM

I use it - but also offer a quicktime version - its just a video tho. You should fire up another browser that you remove the flash plugin just to test it.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules