Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update

Software Update
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2000, 05:09 AM

Why does the software update control panel always tell me there's a ner version of outlook express availible? I don't use Outlook, or any other MS program. I specifically rid my system of every microsoft progrm/extension/loose file i could find, and this friggin control panely still tells me to update to 5.02 of outlook, what the hellllllll!?!?!??!?!??!

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2000, 07:11 AM

Thats because Steve is in bed with Bill.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2000, 09:44 AM

it only tells you what software updates are present on apple servers at that time.
outlook express must be one of them.

the updater doesnt check your hard disk for installed applications before checking for updates available, so it doesnt know that you dislike MS. try writing an applescript for that, and sell it... maybe you could start 'Apricot Computers Inc.' after that.

[This message has been edited by Macfreak7 (edited 12-31-2000).]

dbogdan
Dec 31, 2000, 04:18 PM

I used to have the same issue, but I resolved it thusly: Open up your "Internet" control panel and check to see if Outlook Express is indicated to be your default e-mail program. If it is, change it to your "real" e-mail program (the one you actually use) and close the panel. Do the same for all the other default Internet programs if they are not what you really use. It seems that Steve being in bed with Bill caused the OS to install these preferences into the OS somehow, even though at first run the user was asked what programs they preferred to use...

It is my understanding, notwithstanding the opinion of MacFreak7, that Software Update *does* check your system as part of the updating procedure before it goes out and checks the Apple Server for what's available. It even says so as it progresses. By deleting any reference to using OE as my e-mail program, I avoided the repetitious "you really gotta have this now" update message

BTW, isn't it interesting how this subtle interface between Apple and Microslop keeps coming back to bite us? Talk about incessant "nagware"!! And the funny (?) thing is -- unless you absolutely "purge" your system of any references to Microslop, it's gonna just keep right on comin' at ya' (kinda' like the pink bunny rabbit of Duracell fame)... Any I've got friends who wonder what all the hoopla at the Justice Department was all about. This is (IMHO) *exactly* they type of invasive, pervasive behavior that got Microslop to where it is today... (All right, already, I'm clambering off my soapbox).

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2000, 04:59 PM

The pink bunny was Energizer :-)
You know, he keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going

------------------
L008 Com
Founding Member of the 'translucent' Party!
Vote for me in 2004!
"I didn't invent the internet, I made it better! And I don't even look like my dad!"

dbogdan
Dec 31, 2000, 05:27 PM

Oh my Gawd!!!

My bad!!

But apparently, you got the gist of my post, n'est-ce-pas?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2000, 05:34 PM

Well it sounded like a really good plan, but I just checked and everything was set to netscape, no outlook garbage. So, any other ideas?

------------------
I can't think of any good signature right now.

dbogdan
Dec 31, 2000, 07:24 PM

Well, I seem stumped at this point.

I don't want to assume anything at this point, so just for redundancy's sake, let me ask a few other questions.

Are you running the latest (v1.2) Software Update Control Panel?
What is your system?
Did you also check the Internet Control Panel and "purge" any MS reference therein?
Did you also go into the Preferences folder of your System folder and dump the OE Prefs folder and the MS Prefs folder?
Have you trashed your Software Updates Prefs file and tried it again?

I can't think of anything else that might be causing this distressing dilemma, but I hope any or all of the above can help you out of this looping madness of proxy Microslop nagware...

If anyone else has any suggestions, I hope they pipe up soon...

Happy New Year!

dbogdan
Dec 31, 2000, 07:37 PM

See also, the posting further down in the Forum Listing, entitled "Software Update Won't Run". One of the suggestions was to trash the "Updateable items" file in the Systems Preferences folder...

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2000, 07:45 PM

I just tried each and every thing listed here so far, and i still just got outlook express on the list!!

------------------

Fredo
Senior User
Dec 31, 2000, 09:34 PM

I use Internet Explorer 5.0 and Outlook Express 5.02. Both are successfully installed on my iMac and have been ever since they came out. Software Update to this day continues to offer both applications for download every time I use it. For some reason it doesn't recognize that these apps are already part of the program. I just ignore it. My new years resolution is "don't sweat the small stuff."
Who are the Brain Police?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2000, 10:00 PM

Mine is to "don't settle for anything less than percfect."

------------------

Fredo
Senior User
Dec 31, 2000, 10:06 PM

You guys can't spell, but you sure have a way with numbers.
Who are the Brain Police?

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2001, 11:45 AM

Well, I did a dirty install of OS9.1 on my Blue & White G3, 384mb, Two drives @ 18 gigs each and it worked out well and the computer is only taken taken to it's knees by MSIE and Stuffit TFI. Now two things just don't work and that is keychain access and the software update control panel fails to load. Oh well, I guess I am glad they don't after all and my machine and mind is fine without them.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2001, 03:00 PM

Anyone notice that OE is actually "5.02" and the update shows "5.0.2" which goes back to Apple's inconsistent numbering schemes.

I use OE, installed properly, prefer it over others, and ASU isn't "smart" enough to recognize a properly installed program. One of the "great new features" of 9.0 that may get corrected in the 9.1 final version (Apple hopes) but has so far eluded 'em. Which is how I feel about Apple Software in general. If 9.0 was to clean out legacy, clean out non-PowerPC code, add Altivec routines, fine. But the new features and changes only hurt, didn't help. 8.7 would have been fine. Let's hope 9.1 (and 9.2 or 9.5) contines to weed out bugs.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules