Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What mouse are you using?

What mouse are you using? (Page 3)
ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lundh View Post
Do not buy the mx900 if you plan to use it with a Mac. There is something strange with it that makes the pointer jump around really strange in OS X. It works perfectly in both Windows and Linux though.
Thanks! I won't waste the money then.
Damn though, I wanted something full size, bluetooth and recharageable. Logitech hates bt or something.

I may have to fold and use a stupid 2.4ghz dongle on my macbook pro wasting 1 of 2 usb ports, or cave and get the bt mighty mouse.
I looked at the v270 but it seems too damn small.

Man the mouse game is hard for a mac user.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lundh View Post
Do not buy the mx900 if you plan to use it with a Mac. There is something strange with it that makes the pointer jump around really strange in OS X. It works perfectly in both Windows and Linux though.
you sure about that jack?

http://www.barefeats.com/mouse3.html
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
I just bought the Kensington PilotMouse Bluetooth. This thing is a POS-- the tracking is TERRIBLE. I've fiddled with the software, moved my BT dongle, to no available. The pointer has a mind of its own. It seems to work halfway decently on a green rubber pad I have, but any irregular patterened surface it's a nightmare.

Does anyone else have tracking/ skipping issues with BT mice? Suggestions for better ones (not the Mighty Mouse, I don't like it). I'm gonna return this thing tomorrow, it's mind-boggingly useless.
I wanted a BT mouse for my new MBP, but wasn't thrilled with the BT Mighty Mouse, so I just purchased a Bluetooth PilotMouse Mini yesterday as an impulse purchase. Actually, it has worked perfectly for me (granted, only for a day so far). Tracking is spot on, conectivity is very quick. It really has been hassle free. I am using it on a natural finish maple counter I built in my kitchen and it has no issues tracking accurately. Perhaps some of the difference could be attributed to me not using a dongle, or perhaps not.
The only thing I don't like about it is the ugly ass navy blue rubber grips on it. The feel of the grips is nice, but the color! Navy blue? Are you kidding me? Make 'em black or dark grey, but not navy blue. Blech. The color almost stopped me from buying it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Jank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 09:17 PM

I was using the wireless Might Mouse but just couldn't get used to it, plus atleast twice a day I would have to turn it on/off to get the "right" button to work. I then went on the try the Razer Pro Click v1.6 and was much better the the MM but the drivers suck and couple get the extra buttons to work with any apps, even with USBOverdrive installed. So know I'm on the the newly re-released Microsoft IntelliMouse 3.0 and I couldn't be more happier. I loved this mouse when it first came out and had missed it ever since MS discontinued it. The MS IntelliPoint 6 software work great nd gave me back my "back" button in Firefox
System: MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz C2D | 4GB's of Sheep

17MBPC2D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
Just invested in a Wireless Mighty Mouse .... an excellent piece of kit!
Bought one yesterday and returned it today....an excellent piece of ****!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 02:05 AM

I'm using a Logitech Wal*Mart special that set me back $10 because I simply hated my Apple Bluetooth Mice (both the older and the Mighty) I've been looking into getting the Microsoft 8000 wireless keyboard and mouse though.
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/hard...s.aspx?pid=080
Looks pretty trick!
( Last edited by the_glassman; Dec 3, 2006 at 01:51 PM. )

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Trying to decide between having the Mighty Mouse or the Puck is like having to decide between being deaf or blind.
Seems to me that even if you hate the Mighty Mouse it's clearly more ergonomic and functional than the Puck. I can't imagine anyone preferring the Puck over the MM, but many would prefer the MM to the Puck.

I have half a dozen mice including MS and Logitechs. The one I use most is the Mighty Mouse because I find (surprisingly) that I get less RSI-type pains from that than any of my others, including the so-called "ergonomic" ones. I work primarily in timeline based apps (mostly Final Cut Pro) and find the scroll ball invaluable for horizontal scrolling in timelines. Use a wireless MM with my MacBook and have a wired MM that I use for work in clients' edit suites.

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 07:53 AM

Logitech MX-1000. Best mouse i've ever used even with a few minor annoyances.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006, 05:55 PM

Well, I made an upgrade because I'm fourteen and worried about arthritis, being as I'm a young person and I'll be using keyboards for quite a while longer. I bought the Microsoft Elite Wireless Desktop and it came with the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. AWESOME set, although since the keyboard is split and the "b" is on the left side and I usually hit it with my right finger, it takes a little getting used to. But you don't have to move your hands at all!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
Well, I made an upgrade because I'm fourteen and worried about arthritis, being as I'm a young person and I'll be using keyboards for quite a while longer. I bought the Microsoft Elite Wireless Desktop and it came with the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. AWESOME set, although since the keyboard is split and the "b" is on the left side and I usually hit it with my right finger, it takes a little getting used to. But you don't have to move your hands at all!
Arthritis isn't something that keyboard/mouse use will cause/aggravate/enhance. Carpal tunnel syndrome, and a variety of tendon issues ARE prone to being caused and/or made worse through the way a person uses a keyboard and/or mouse. Because of that, your choice of keyboards is right on-the better arrangement of the keys, more in line with the way the fingers actually bend and move while also lined up to keep the wrists neutral and relaxed, makes the MS "natural" type keyboard a really powerful tool for avoiding carpal tunnel issues.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006, 10:43 PM

Oh yeah... duh! I meant to say carpel tunnel, thanks for clearing that up.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

bcswbc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 11:05 AM

I just got my wireless mighty mouse for Christmas, and I must say that I love it. It does take a little getting used to if you're not used to it (i.e., you are used to 2+ dedicated buttons), but the performance is great!

mindwaves
Dec 30, 2006, 11:39 PM

I got a Logitech V270 for Xmas and I like it. I had to tone down the tracking a little bit because it was too fast. I've only used it for an hr, but it seems ok. I just wish it had more buttons.

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I got a Logitech V270 for Xmas and I like it. I had to tone down the tracking a little bit because it was too fast. I've only used it for an hr, but it seems ok. I just wish it had more buttons.
That's my problem with knowing what to replace the MX-1000 with. I'm addicted to programming the 8 buttons (10 if you include clicking the wheel from side to side) to handle all sorts of things on a per-app basis.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 10:45 PM

I use the wired mighty mouse and like it very much.

Except: they don't seem to last that long. I have to do a lot of scrolling, and my first mighty M. stopped doing that after only 7 months, and even the new one got stuck twice, but started scrolling again. I hope, that if it decides to break down, too, it will do so before the warranty ends.

Tenex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 05:52 PM

Logitech s530 works perfectly.

I'd quite like to try a wireless trackball - anyone use one?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 06:12 PM

After I installed iScroll2, I became addicted to two-finger scrolling. No more mouse for me. I even play ut2004 with the trackpad now.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 AM

Mighty Mouse number two just stopped scrolling.

The scroll ball is definitely a weak part of this mouse.

I like it as a mouse, but I have to scroll a lot, and can't get a new mouse after every few months.

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 01:57 PM

I have had a MS intelli optical mouse with a cord which cost about 20$, then switched to the Logitech Mediaplay Mouse (in my PC days...not so long ago) and with the switch to Mac I purchased the VX Revolution by Logitech. I love it so far and no problems since I started using Steermouse.

kuchiki
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 17MBPC2D View Post
Bought one yesterday and returned it today....an excellent piece of ****!
Hi there,
Re my previous post; the 'excellent piece of kit' I bought in November 2006 stopped scrolling downwards a week or so ago - it was replaced under warranty ...
I await with baited breath its expected malfunction!
Veltliner is right, the scroll ball is the weakest link - Apple, please do something about this design because the scroll ball is practically impossible to clean successfully.
Otherwise, as I said earlier - it's 'an excellent piece of kit!'
Mind you, I find a 6 to 8 month lifespan for an expensive mouse a little short don't you think ...??
On the other hand, I guess it's how you bait the trap ..!!
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 06:49 AM

Turn your mighty mouse upside down, and give the scrollball a good rolling, back and forwards, quite hard. This should dislodge any crap that's got stuck in there. Worked for me every time so far.

I'm loving the Mighty Mouse - previously I had an MX Revolution, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Logtech mouse again, what a piece of junk that was.

The 'ergonomic' shaped mice actually force your hand open , and make clicking more detrimental to your tendons then simply shaped mice like the MM. And why is it only Apple that seems to realise the optical sensor should be as near to your fingertips as possible ?

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 10:42 AM

Hi Gee4orce,
Thanks for the tip on clearing the scroll ball of gunk/junk - I was probably not being vigorous enough with my previous 'scroll ball cleaning technique!'
Re the last paragraph of your post - I couldn't agree more!
best
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

cosmic1255
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 05:04 PM

used apple wired mighty mouse but now moved to wireless mighty mouse, happy with it, working in photoshop and browsing )

Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:15 PM

Mighty Mouse, I want a wireless, though.

ghostdawg
Sep 14, 2007, 03:25 AM

A usb Dell wheel mouse...
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2007, 11:31 AM

I have a logitech G7, logitech MX500, and 2 logitech MX318's. I use all of them on different machines. The MX500 has to be my favorite.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
I have a logitech G7, logitech MX500, and 2 logitech MX318's. I use all of them on different machines. The MX500 has to be my favorite.
How are the Logitech drivers/support software? I hear there were issues with support a few years ago, has this been resolved? Thanks.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
The 'ergonomic' shaped mice actually force your hand open , and make clicking more detrimental to your tendons then simply shaped mice like the MM.
Thank you! Making a little indent for your thumb does not make a mouse ergonomic – the MM is a million times more ergonomic than any of those gigantic mice. I hate some of the problems the MM has, but it’s brilliant size- and shape-wise.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
The 'ergonomic' shaped mice actually force your hand open , and make clicking more detrimental to your tendons then simply shaped mice like the MM. And why is it only Apple that seems to realise the optical sensor should be as near to your fingertips as possible ?
Excellent point. If your desktop is anywhere near the appropriate height, your wrist should be in a nearly neutral position when resting on it. With the MM, you have a shape that fits the hand's internal arches pretty well, allowing you to move the mouse with the appropriate muscles (arm muscles for gross movements, finger muscles for fine movements) without straining any of the tendons that go over and through the wrist. A fancy "ergo" mouse extends the wrist (the back of the hand folds toward the arm), and causes the fingers to separate and flex to grip the mouse-all of which strains a variety of tendons.

With the exception of the tiny portable mouse I use with my MBP, my MM is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 01:25 AM

I bought the new Apple keyboard recently, and have nothing bad to say about it yet, but I cannot bring myself to buy the Mighty Mouse, nor have I found another mouse that matches my keyboard or that I particularly like, so I have the perhaps slightly unlikely combination of an Apple keyboard and a generic (2-button, scrollwheel) black mouse.

mkerr64
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 01:29 AM

MX Revolution
R.I.P Steve Jobs

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 03:03 AM

My only problem with the Mighty Mouse is that I don't lift my left finger when I right click. So I use a MX500.
iamwhor3hay

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2007, 11:22 AM

Logitech VX Revolution

I had the VX Nano for a week but couldn't get used to it so I got this one and it's amazing. Using Steermouse, it's very useful because the buttons are all customizable and it works on almost any surface. Plus, the batteries are lasting quite a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules