Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Palm Pre

Palm Pre (Page 4)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
While I'm not ATT fanboy, I have enjoyed good service and good support from them. The same cannot be said with sprint. In fact everyone and anyone I talk to about sprint, they just roll their eyes and are glad they're no longer with them, or aching to get out of the contract.

using the argument of choosing the Pre because its not ATT really does not hold up. Sure ATT shot themselves in the foot with having us wait till the end of summer of MMS/Tethering but in the scheme of things (at least for me) its not a huge deal. I enjoy great coverage, good customer service and a fair price for that service.
MMS and tethering are not really valid reasons to hate AT&T. There are plenty of others.

That said, I've had every single one of the major - and a few of the regional - carriers at one point or another (I used to work in the cell phone industry). And the difference between all of them is negligible. The price plans are all almost exactly the same, and have been for years. Customer service across the board is basically the same. Policies are all the same. The *only* differences I have found are how coverage is for the local user (i.e. whether or not it works at your house) and individual experience with dealing with the company. Other than that the differences between the companies are all quite small.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 01:44 PM

I am still wondering where the hate is coming from to ATT Wireless. I get great signal almost everywhere I go. Where I am now in the Shenandoah Valley I have max signal strength, but it's not 3G. So what is the problem?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 04:29 PM

Here's a link to the Pre User Manual (pdf), if you'd like to take an indepth look at the UI and setup options.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 04:38 PM

Just to lay all the cards on the table, I have never had At&t so I have no preconceived notions or opinions of their service.

Sprint has not been bad for me personally, but I am really close to their headquarters and if there was a place where there service would be good, you would hope this is it..
Joe

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
MMS and tethering are not really valid reasons to hate AT&T. There are plenty of others.

That said, I've had every single one of the major - and a few of the regional - carriers at one point or another (I used to work in the cell phone industry). And the difference between all of them is negligible. The price plans are all almost exactly the same, and have been for years. Customer service across the board is basically the same. Policies are all the same. The *only* differences I have found are how coverage is for the local user (i.e. whether or not it works at your house) and individual experience with dealing with the company. Other than that the differences between the companies are all quite small.
What about Verizon's obsession with using their own interface on their phones? That, and crippling of bluetooth steered me away from them long ago.

I've had ATT for about 7 years now and have always been happy with them (coverage, phone choice, customer service) until yesterday's announcements about MMS and tethering. These are not futuristic technologies being newly introduced for the iphone. They have been around for years and there is no excuse for not having them ready when so many other carriers around the world have their act together.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 09:43 PM

I have to say I REALLY like most of the UI of the Pre or at least the concept. I never thought ANYONE would ever outdo apple in that department.

That said there is a reason for this. Apple did 90% of the work for them regarding the UI such scrolling, pinch/zoom, swipe etc. When somebody else does all the hard work for you it is normal that your copy will have some improvements as you see what works and what needs changing.

Right now the only 2 things I like about the UI is the cards interface for multitasking and the non-intrusive notifications. Although I am sure Apple is working on improving both those things on the iPhone the Pre got it pretty damn right from the start in this department.

The iPhone 3Gs solves some of the multitasking as the thing is so damn fast going to the home screen isn't so bad. Once Apple fixes both these things the iPhone will be near perfect for me.

There is nothing about the pre hardware I like. I hate the fact that there is no soft keyboard and that slide out keyboard is crap. No way I could use it with one hand or even 2. Also surfing in landscape mode only to switch to portrait and slide out the keyboard to input a URL is stupid.

Keyboards are dead, in 3 years only the backwards companies will still have the same as the floppy drive holds out. The onscreen keyboards will improve with tactile feedback as will voice recognition.

The only thing I like about the hardware is the touchstone, not so much for the wireless charging but the sticky surface that holds it to your desk, it is a material based on gecko feet and can stick to even glass. Smart stuff.

The problem Palm has is perception. The iPhone has too many knock out features. It works 100% with iTunes, you can buy music and apps on it, it has that Apple cool feeling. Lets also not forget it is no cheaper nor GSM.

Why would the general consumer want it over the iPhone? They don't care about little things like multitasking or non-intrusive pop-ups. How can palm win them over even if the phones are $50 half the cost of a 3G iPhone? The only thing selling it is the fact that it is the best CDMA phone out there, once everyone is GSM and has the iPhone they are screwed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 09:56 PM

The only compelling reason to go Pre is if you hate AT&T.

Good luck with Sprint.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I have to say I REALLY like most of the UI of the Pre or at least the concept.

Right now the only 2 things I like about the UI is the cards interface for multitasking and the non-intrusive notifications.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 06:21 AM

And what about the battery? I hear it empties out rather fast due to that multitasking. And remember, these are smart phones, PHONES. Not netbooks or laptops. These are just phones.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I have to say I REALLY like most of the UI of the Pre or at least the concept. I never thought ANYONE would ever outdo apple in that department.

That said there is a reason for this. Apple did 90% of the work for them regarding the UI such scrolling, pinch/zoom, swipe etc. When somebody else does all the hard work for you it is normal that your copy will have some improvements as you see what works and what needs changing.

Right now the only 2 things I like about the UI is the cards interface for multitasking and the non-intrusive notifications. Although I am sure Apple is working on improving both those things on the iPhone the Pre got it pretty damn right from the start in this department.

The iPhone 3Gs solves some of the multitasking as the thing is so damn fast going to the home screen isn't so bad. Once Apple fixes both these things the iPhone will be near perfect for me.

There is nothing about the pre hardware I like. I hate the fact that there is no soft keyboard and that slide out keyboard is crap. No way I could use it with one hand or even 2. Also surfing in landscape mode only to switch to portrait and slide out the keyboard to input a URL is stupid.

Keyboards are dead, in 3 years only the backwards companies will still have the same as the floppy drive holds out. The onscreen keyboards will improve with tactile feedback as will voice recognition.

The only thing I like about the hardware is the touchstone, not so much for the wireless charging but the sticky surface that holds it to your desk, it is a material based on gecko feet and can stick to even glass. Smart stuff.

The problem Palm has is perception. The iPhone has too many knock out features. It works 100% with iTunes, you can buy music and apps on it, it has that Apple cool feeling. Lets also not forget it is no cheaper nor GSM.

Why would the general consumer want it over the iPhone? They don't care about little things like multitasking or non-intrusive pop-ups. How can palm win them over even if the phones are $50 half the cost of a 3G iPhone? The only thing selling it is the fact that it is the best CDMA phone out there, once everyone is GSM and has the iPhone they are screwed.
The Pre can't do landscape keyboards. What a joke. Remember when everyone said that about the iPhone? Nobody's saying it about the Pre. I think people exist solely to bitch about Apple. That got old years ago.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
The Pre can't do landscape keyboards. What a joke. Remember when everyone said that about the iPhone? Nobody's saying it about the Pre. I think people exist solely to bitch about Apple. That got old years ago.
It's not a transformer - they can't rearrange a hardware keyboard because you turn the phone sideways. Nobody's saying it about the Pre because it doesn't make any sense to.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
And remember, these are smart phones, PHONES. Not netbooks or laptops. These are just phones.
I don't think so. These are mini computers with strong phone capabilities. I'd wager a bet that most Blackberry owners use their BBs more for email than making calls. I use my iPhone about 40% for making calls, 30% for email and the remainder for calendaring and other apps.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2009, 07:30 AM

The past two days I have not drained the battery. Recharge overnight. Music, email, texting and light surfing.. It is low by the end of the day, but not empty. 4-6 apps routinely open..
Joe

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 08:06 AM

So, how's Real Racing on that Pre?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2009, 08:56 AM

I wish I had time for any games... As long as I have weather and the NYTimes, I am all set..
Joe

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 08:59 AM

One of the things I really like about the UI (besides the downright attractive appearance) is the use of gestures on the little touch strip below the display. I don't care at all about a hardware keyboard, but I sometimes wish the iPhone hadn't gone all the way down to one button. I can type way faster on the iPhone than my previous 2 Sony Ericsson, but I could get to certain options more easily on the SEs because of muscle memory and programmable shortcut keys/d-pad/speed-dial. A row of 3 or 4 buttons below the iPhone screen would've made it much easier to get to lots of stuff without looking, but now that Apple went with the iconic one button, that's not gonna happen.

Palm kept the one-front-button look that people think of as synonymous with touchscreen smartphones and added the gesture thing to bring back some of the quick muscle memory functionality.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 09:46 AM

I bet that 3.1 will fix notifications on the iPhone. It's just too glaringly bad not to be remedied. And I bet 3.2 will add multitasking on the 3GS. Double-tap the home button and you go to all the running apps with live views instead of to the home screen. From there it acts just like Mobile Safari Pages, flip from app to app and press the X to close. That's where Palm nicked the idea of the cards anyway.

Only problem is that the home button double-tap is already used for going to phone favorites or the iPod, but since it is already configurable that way, why not add multitask management to that list of options? Making it somewhat optional also keeps the phone simple and battery life long for those who don't know any better while allowing experienced users the power of multitasking with the knowledge that their battery won't last as long. It's really the best of both worlds.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yeah, even before the Pre, I've been wondering if Apple was going to add limited, off-by-default multitasking when the next round of hardware came around. It seems like they could make it an option without ever mentioning it in any ads or web pages except maybe a support or developer article. Geeks would hear about it, love it, and turn it on; normal consumers probably wouldn't ever notice.

I think they could have levels of granularity too: either just allow the OS to decide how many processes run concurrently and which ones get shut down, or let the user pick a list of 3 or 4 apps that get priority for running in the background (audio streaming being an obvious choice).

Forum Links
Forum Rules