Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How can I upgrade?

How can I upgrade?
shmoolie
Oct 25, 2011, 03:13 PM

I have an AT&T iPhone 4 that is not eligible for an inexpensive upgrade for another year. It's on a Family plan with my parents. My new wife has an AT&T flip phone on a plan with her friend and she is eligible for an upgrade now. She doesn't need the 4s and would be happy with my 4. Is there a way for us to upgrade her phone to a 4s and then swap with my 4? Is it as simply as swapping the sim? Somehow I don't think it could be that easy.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 03:22 PM

The sim cards should swap just fine.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

shmoolie  (op)
Oct 26, 2011, 05:53 AM

So it really is that easy? Would AT&T know that I've swapped my sim into a 4s? Would they care?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 06:16 AM

I believe someone else here was at least planning on doing the exact same thing. They might know if they looked hard enough but I see no reason they'd really care anyway as long as the bills get paid.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2011, 06:53 AM

They don't care who carries the phone, they don't care what number is on what phone, they are really only interested in being paid for the services you'll be using. In other words, the only thing they will be interested in is that both iPhones have the iPhone data plan.

My son just decided Android was not as cool as he thought and is now using my old iPhone 3Gs. All it took to switch from his Dell Streak 5 was to take the SIM out of the Streak and put it in the iPhone, then tell AT&T to change the data plan for that phone number. It will work fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shmoolie  (op)
Oct 27, 2011, 09:04 AM

OK. You've convinced me to try it. I'm just wondering why AT&T would let me do this and lose $500+ on my early termination upgrade fee (If I was to just upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 4s directly).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 11:10 AM

AT&T Wireless is bad, but it's not that bad.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2011, 09:28 PM

You aren't terminating anything, because the older phone is still in service. On the other hand, they are getting another iPhone data plan, and the expectation of plenty of combined data and phone usage. They win, you win.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules