Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Wacky Display on usually cooperative iMac

Wacky Display on usually cooperative iMac
Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2001, 02:12 PM

Hey,

I was working on my mac this morning for about an hour and all was well, smooth as usual. I have had very little trouble in this first year of use, having replaced a noisy hard-drive while still under warranty.

Then I put the machine to sleep for about 30 minutes and could not wake it; I tried restarting twice with the Panic button, both with the HD as startup and a system CD, neither with any luck. So, I restarted with the keyboard restart key and I was treated to an alarming display of flickering garbage, along with a bar of interference-looking junk that would follow my cursor around the screen. The machine remained responsive and I was able to restart using a Norton CD, running some diagnostics which indicated "No Problems," though the screen was still screwy.

So I shut the thing down, let it rest for a few minutes, unplugged it from the wall ( thinking that there might have been a power surge or shimmer) and now all seems well again. I am going to run some further Norton diagnostics, but wanted to try here ASAP.

My warranty expires in about 3 days. If I register the issue with Apple, should I encounter difficulty if I go to an ASP for a check?

Thanks,
Storyboy

PS: Also, I noticed today that when I started up fresh there was a short buzz from the Harddrive, which is I think unrelated, I've heard it before and it doesn't happen when I do a simple restart, but only when I power-up. Any thoughts?

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Cipher13
Jan 1, 2001, 08:04 PM

Hard drive buzz on start up but not restart is normal.
Rest is not
Extend your warranty.

Cipher13

dbogdan
Jan 1, 2001, 08:33 PM

Register your issue ASAP with Apple, while your CPU is still within the window of warranty!!! That way, if nothing further happens, you're in the pink. If the problem continues or gets worse, you can point to the first incident as being the beginning of the issue, and have some leverage to get Apple to "do right" by you. Print out a copy of the e-mail including the footer with a date/time stamp. If you must bring it to an ASP after the warranty has expired, then bring along your e-mail, proving that the problem existed while you were still under warranty (along with any response from Apple).

If you don't, then they'll jump through the loophole you left open faster than a 500MHZ MP G4 on steroids!!!

I also agree with Cipher13 that you should extend your warranty (if it's not too expensive). It can be an added insurance policy for "down the road..."

Good luck... I hope you experience nothing further!!!

Storyboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2001, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by dbogdan:
Register your issue ASAP with Apple, while your CPU is still within the window of warranty...Print out a copy of the e-mail including the footer with a date/time stamp. If you must bring it to an ASP after the warranty has expired, then bring along your e-mail...

I also agree with Cipher13 that you should extend your warranty (if it's not too expensive). It can be an added insurance policy for "down the road..."
Thanks for the info! I have a question about Apple support...where is it that I should send that email? As far as I can tell, standard Apple support is Sillyphone/Post Orifice only. Am I missing something?

As far as extending the warranty goes, is 2 years of AppleCare really worth the $149?

BTW, the machine in question is working as if the whole mess never happened.

Thanks,
Story

Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2001, 06:06 PM

I feel your pain. My iMac worked flawlessly for a year and a half they the Video/analog board fried which in turn shorted out the power supply. And now my Ethernet card is acting screwy. When will my iMac return tp glory again?

------------------
--->Sk

Forum Links
Forum Rules