Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do Powermacs now come with 9.2.2 install Cds ?

Do Powermacs now come with 9.2.2 install Cds ?
PacHead
Baninated
Oct 16, 2002, 08:04 AM

I know that they only came with 9.2.2 restore cds, when they first came out, and it was a bit of a hassle to install 9.2.2 onto the machines.

However, I now see on the apple store site, that it states clearly that the refurbished dual 867 comes with an install CD for 9.2.2

So my question is, do the new machines include the install cd also now?

there's no mention of this on the apple site.

derekn
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 05:19 PM

No, I doubt it. If it were Apples choice OS 9 itself wouldn't exist. LOL Plus I think the OS 9 team has pretty much been disbanded, it's all classic related stuff now.

You can however create a bootable 9.2.2 disc from the restore CDs that come with the DDR Macs. It was on Macintouch but I need to hunt it down, I'll post it in a bit.

derekn
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 05:29 PM

I think this it. I recall seeing another that had more details, that may have been for the retail Jaguar CDs only though. This is only for the restore discs with the DDR G4s.

It's in Part 25, Oct 7th OS X reader reports.

--------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:32:20 -0600
Subject: Bootable 9.2.2 CD on WindTunnel Dual-G4 - This is the easiest method

This is the procedure to make a bootable OS9.2.2 CD if you have one of the new WindTunnel (Dual-G4) models:

1. Boot into OS9. If asked, go through the usual "first-time" setup nonsense and configure everything properly. Restart (in OS9).

2. Launch Toast. I'm using 5.2 but 5.1.4 is also good. Note: If you try this from OSX, it will not work!

3. Set Toast to make a (Data) MacOS CD, -not- a MacOS Extended CD. MacOS Extended CDs are not bootable.

4. Create a new CD and name it anything you wish. Drag over your OS9.2.2 System Folder.

5. From within the Toast window, remove the three "Classic..." files from inside the System Folder. Note that we're talking about the files in the Toast window and NOT the real System Folder on your hard drive!

6. Burn the CD.

Done.

If you want, you could drag onto the CD any of your OS9 utilities (NUM, NAV, Toast, etc.) but don't forget to include whatever extensions or support files they might need (into the appropriate folders).

That's it. It's really quite simple. The usual errors are either setting Toast for MacOS Extended (this is not a bootable format) or attempting to do this when booted into OSX. The appropriate boot blocks will not be written to the CD if you're not actually booted into OS9.

------------------------
http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.2pt25.html

slapdash
Oct 21, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I know that they only came with 9.2.2 restore cds, when they first came out, and it was a bit of a hassle to install 9.2.2 onto the machines.

However, I now see on the apple store site, that it states clearly that the refurbished dual 867 comes with an install CD for 9.2.2

My new dual 867 didn't exactly come with 9.2.2 cds. In order to install 9 after partitioning my drive I had to run the software restore disk, and select classic. It then installed it fine, but didn't let me choose a disk for installation. Had to copy over my 9 files to their own partition manually, and create the needed documents directory.

I was a bit ticked without an actual install disk but hey, end result was the same so I'm not complaining

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 03:46 PM

You don't really need an installer disk! Check this:

- Get the first software restore cd (not the OS X ones, but the ones with all the apps). On the cd, there's an invisble folder called ".images". Open it in the Finder or in the terminal with /Volumes/Restore_Volume_Name/.images/

- In this .images/ there is a MacOS9.dmg or similarly called file

- Mount the image or burn a CD with its contents.

- Copy the contents of the burned cd or mounted dmg to any volume.

- Set this volume as the boot volume in the system prefs.

- Reboot.

Have fun.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

If you really really need a OS 9.2.2 CD, you can call Apple Care and tell them that your computer crashes (that would be with 10.2 pre-installed) , that you are not able to reinstall 10.2 despite an erase and that you need to do a zero all data erase of the Hard Drive. Jaguar installer does not allow it, where 9.2.2 does. Happened to me (although I did not care about having this CD or not). My new Ibook from August did not have 9.2.2.

Villa

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 04:40 PM

Heh, thats weird, my Dual 867, my Dual Gig (DDR) and my dual 1.25 all came with an OS 9 installer disk...quite strange, guess I'm an outcast
Am I still here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules