Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which Mouse brand works best with Jaguar?

Which Mouse brand works best with Jaguar?
HoOn
Oct 20, 2002, 07:29 PM

Hi! I'm searching for a good mouse for my iBook and I was wondering which brand works best with Jaguar?

Microsoft Intellimouse mice or Logitech MX Series?

I'm leaning towards the Logitech MX series just because it supposedly has better accuracy which is good for graphic applications.

Your feedback and opinions please. =)
( Last edited by HoOn; Oct 20, 2002 at 07:57 PM. )

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2002, 07:39 PM

Any mouse - I personally use Logitech - but I hear a lot of people like MS mice.

The way Mac OS X is built - you don't need any drivers at all to use any USB mouse with two buttons and a scroll-wheel.

If you want to use more buttons use the software provided by the mouse manufacturer - or USBOverdrive (my preference)

p.s. I think your sig. picture might be a little big...

HoOn  (op)
Oct 20, 2002, 08:01 PM

Not all USB mice work properly with OS X. I had an IBM mouse that had a great form and a cool BLUE light scroll wheel (which I think Micro$oft copied ) that was slow in X. What I need is a mouse that has an actual support for Jaguar. It seems both MS and Logitech have drivers for Macs but what functions best. I like the back and forward buttons my old mouse had. Something to that effect.

ps sorry for the big sig... =)

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 08:20 PM

I'll second this: I have a Logitech Optical mouse (with scroll wheel) and USB Overdrive. Works great under Jaguar.

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Any mouse - I personally use Logitech - but I hear a lot of people like MS mice.

The way Mac OS X is built - you don't need any drivers at all to use any USB mouse with two buttons and a scroll-wheel.

If you want to use more buttons use the software provided by the mouse manufacturer - or USBOverdrive (my preference)

p.s. I think your sig. picture might be a little big...

martyrart
Oct 21, 2002, 02:50 PM

I got thelogitech cordless optical mouse and it sucks both in OS 9 and X. The speed is either really fast or really slow. It won't give me any in-between.

I like Microsoft mice and the software. I want to get the new cordless Blue mouse. I hope the speed works on that one and that it is not just how the OS treats a cordless.
iFinished therefore iBook!

slapdash
Oct 21, 2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by HoOn:
Hi! I'm searching for a good mouse for my iBook and I was wondering which brand works best with Jaguar?

Microsoft Intellimouse mice or Logitech MX Series?

I'm leaning towards the Logitech MX series just because it supposedly has better accuracy which is good for graphic applications.

Your feedback and opinions please. =)
Microsoft's mice have always 'broke down' on me and my mates. Stay Logitech. I used them with 8 and 9 for years, X is just as good without question. Don't go cordless though if precision is important to you.

I just bought an MX 500 to replace my trackman wheel (which had replaced the mouseman wheel). This is the mouse to own. No question. The most comfortable and functional mouse.

If you want a confidence boost, check out what the folks at IGN had to say. They know their gear

http://gear.ign.com/articles/371/371925p1.html

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 08:31 PM

This may be true with the Logitech drivers (or whatever OS 9/X provide). However, USB Overdrive gives you more control over mouse motion that you'd ever need.

Originally posted by martyrart:
I got thelogitech cordless optical mouse and it sucks both in OS 9 and X. The speed is either really fast or really slow. It won't give me any in-between.

I like Microsoft mice and the software. I want to get the new cordless Blue mouse. I hope the speed works on that one and that it is not just how the OS treats a cordless.

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2002, 01:16 AM

My Intellimouse Explorer just crapped out and I bought a Logitech MX 500 based on this thread. I like it so far but can't get USB Overdrive to recognize the extra buttons (it sees 5, including wheel press). While the Logitech drivers support the extra buttons they can't be customized for different apps which is crucial for me. Any advice?
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2002, 01:16 AM

Can't vow for Logitech, but stay away from the microsoft mice. Had two different MS mice, one at work and one at home. The one at work quit working all together, the one at home got a short in the cable.

I do like kensington mice. Especially this small one for laptops:

http://www.kensington.com/html/1404.html

We have well over 20 of these at work (mostly trackballs). They're great.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2002, 02:05 AM

I've never used the 3+ button ones, but the 2-button-plus-scroll Logitechs work great on OS X even without software.

tooki

Spaldings
Oct 26, 2002, 02:08 AM

Sounds like Logitech is getting all the praise. I've never used one, but the kensington optical pro I am using is great.

~S

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 03:09 PM

Definately logitech over microsoft. Everyone I know who had a microsoft mouse broke theirs and are now using logitechs

slapdash
Oct 26, 2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Spaldings:
Sounds like Logitech is getting all the praise. I've never used one, but the kensington optical pro I am using is great.

~S
I used Kensington briefly, but my first Logitech (Mouseman wheel) converted me quickly. Since the optical revolution I've tried several brands and believe firmly that Logitech's line are the best. Expensive, but the best, and they keep getting better. My recent MX 500 is the best I've ever used.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 03:38 PM

Wow, good post. A year or so ago it was Logitech, which I have, or the M$ intella-whatever, now it seems as if the M$ QA didn't stand up. My logitech is over a year old now and I love it to this day. Whatever you get use usb overdrive, you can adjust the speed with it too.

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2002, 04:47 AM

I just got a logitech Mouseman Dual Optical. Couting the scroll whell it's got 4 buttons. Seems to work ok on both OSX and 9, all though this is on 5 days use. Much less jumpy then the apple optical mouse. Looking back though, I wish I'd just gotten the straight up regular mouseman optical. It only has 3 buttons counting the scroll wheel, but it's a little smaller and lighter. I like to "throw" my mouse around the mat. The mouseman dual is a little too big for that. Anyway, I ended up looking on mysimon.com or one of those other price comparison sites, got it for 60% less then MRSP. Shop around!

martyrart
Oct 30, 2002, 12:53 PM

I like the MS mice for their ergonomics over any logitech I have seen. I just got the MS wireless blue mouse and love it. Needed the 3.1 update to see it.

I have 3 MS mice now and none have screwed up yet. Maybe they would truly suck if little Billy got his hands all over them.

I couldn't get my logitech to work with USB overdrive properly either. I dumped Kensington because in OS 9 the mouseworks driver would interfere with the mouse speed in games. I fully expect to find something wrong with Kensington in OS X. If not for the MS mice I might try them again.

MS mice are about the only product I care to use from MS. Wish they would spin these off into another company.
iFinished therefore iBook!

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2002, 07:33 PM

I'll be purchasing a new Powerbook when (if) new ones are released in the next week or so. Along with the computer I'll be purchasing a corded, optical mouse, from either Apple, Microsoft or Logitech. My assumption is that I will be using OSX exclusively (rather than OS9). While Apple's mouse appeals to me on purely aesthetic grounds (I think it is by far the most beautiful), Microsoft's mouse appeals to me pragmatically (scrollwheel, multiple buttons). Logitech has my attention because of recommendations from a few friends and because of this thread. Does anyone have an opinion on using OSX with a mouse that has only one button? Would I eventually become desparate for a scroll wheel and multiple mouse buttons, just as I would if I were to use a 1-button mouse in Windows? Also, I have never had a Microsoft mouse break; are there any advantages to a Logitech mouse other than the reliability mentioned in this thread?

slapdash
Nov 2, 2002, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by YeLordWindsor:
I'll be purchasing a new Powerbook when (if) new ones are released in the next week or so. Along with the computer I'll be purchasing a corded, optical mouse, from either Apple, Microsoft or Logitech. My assumption is that I will be using OSX exclusively (rather than OS9). While Apple's mouse appeals to me on purely aesthetic grounds (I think it is by far the most beautiful), Microsoft's mouse appeals to me pragmatically (scrollwheel, multiple buttons). Logitech has my attention because of recommendations from a few friends and because of this thread. Does anyone have an opinion on using OSX with a mouse that has only one button? Would I eventually become desparate for a scroll wheel and multiple mouse buttons, just as I would if I were to use a 1-button mouse in Windows? Also, I have never had a Microsoft mouse break; are there any advantages to a Logitech mouse other than the reliability mentioned in this thread?
Yes, you would want more if you only used a one button. When I got my new dual 867 I decided to try using the apple mouse. I wanted to like it but just couldn't get used to the limitations. Before I knew it I was back to my Logitech trackman wheel and since upgraded to the MX 500.

I would strongly suggest buying the MX 500. Its a great mouse, fits into your hand perfectly and looks killer to boot. Reliability is obviously in Logitech's favor too, as you have read above. Aside from that the only thing you should consider is what works best for you, MS or Logitech. If you can afford it buy both and have a feel for it yourself; that is what a lot of us do. If not, I would suggest just going with the Logitech line.

JVB_2112
Nov 3, 2002, 12:18 AM

I've got a Logitech MX 700, that I bought several weeks ago. I love this mouse. It's wireless, has a cradle that you use to recharge it when the batteries get low, and is very accurate.

I would recommend the Logitech MX 500 or 700.

JVB

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2002, 12:48 PM

I've got the Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical and it's great. The MX series is supposed to be MUCH better. Definately go with Logitech.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 10:27 AM

Man, I can't believe Kensington is getting so little love...

I've always used Kensington mice and trackballs. I'm using the Studio Mouse now, and it's great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules