Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac G5's include iLife '05 or not?

New iMac G5's include iLife '05 or not?
Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2005, 10:11 PM

I'm going to order a new 20" iMac G5 and noticed on Apple's page they still show iLife '04 as the version shipping. Can anyone verify whether or not Apple includes a DVD for iLife '05 in the box like they do with the Mac mini? I'd hate to have to shell out another $20. I know it's not much more but when I'm already dropping some big coin on the iMac it seems '05 should be included. After all, it is with the $499 product. Thanks in advance.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Too Artificial:
I'm going to order a new 20" iMac G5 and noticed on Apple's page they still show iLife '04 as the version shipping. Can anyone verify whether or not Apple includes a DVD for iLife '05 in the box like they do with the Mac mini? I'd hate to have to shell out another $20. I know it's not much more but when I'm already dropping some big coin on the iMac it seems '05 should be included. After all, it is with the $499 product. Thanks in advance.
Yes, iLife '05 will be included.

I bought a dual 2.5GHz G5 in a retail Apple store just days after iLife '05 shipped, and it was included.

Depending on when the machine you buy was manufactured/packaged, iLife '05 probably wont be on the hard drive, but an install DVD will be included in the box (as it was with my G5).

Too Artificial  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Yes, iLife '05 will be included.

I bought a dual 2.5GHz G5 in a retail Apple store just days after iLife '05 shipped, and it was included.

Depending on when the machine you buy was manufactured/packaged, iLife '05 probably wont be on the hard drive, but an install DVD will be included in the box (as it was with my G5).
Cadaver, thanks!

slapdash
Feb 5, 2005, 04:06 PM

I don't know about it being included with the iMac G5. I bought mine from the Apple store here two weeks ago (20" iMac G5) and had to give my serial number and $20 to Apple to get a copy of iLife '05.

Edit - here's a link to Apple's info on this:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

Too Artificial  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by slapdash:
I don't know about it being included with the iMac G5. I bought mine from the Apple store here two weeks ago (20" iMac G5) and had to give my serial number and $20 to Apple to get a copy of iLife '05.

Edit - here's a link to Apple's info on this:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
Yeah I saw that too and it's what really caused me to wonder. Oh well, I guess it really doesn't matter. It either comes in the box or I'll fork over another $20 to get it.

slapdash
Feb 5, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Too Artificial:
Yeah I saw that too and it's what really caused me to wonder. Oh well, I guess it really doesn't matter. It either comes in the box or I'll fork over another $20 to get it.
That's how I looked at it too to be honest. Whilst free would have been great, it's better to pay $20 than the full price. And iLife '05 is worth a $20 upgrade fee

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 12:51 AM

Ok... funny I posted in this thread earlier.

Today, I bought my wife a 17" iMac G5 (1.8GHz) from my local Apple store (Christiana Mall, Newark, Delaware) to replace her aging 600MHz iBook.

iLife '05 was included on a DVD in the box (but not pre-installed on the HD; iLife '04 was pre-installed).

So, there you have it. iLife '05 is included (in the box, on a disc) with new machines (dual 2.5GHz G5 and a 1.8GHz 17" iMac within the last two weeks).

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 06:39 AM

I wonder if iLife '05 is included in the box if you buy from an online reseller. I'm planning on buying an iMac G5 (17" 1.8 Superdrive) from Amazon(because of the $100 rebate) later this week...
( Last edited by davidflas; Feb 6, 2005 at 06:46 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I wonder if iLife '05 is included in the box if you buy from an online reseller. I'm planning on buying an iMac G5 (17" 1.8 Superdrive) from Amazon(because of the $100 rebate) later this week...
I'd say that is depending when the product was shipped to the reseller. I believe that resellers do not include the '05 discs themselves. Then one would have to go the 20$ road.

Sn1PeR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 02:28 PM

we bought a dual 1.8Ghz G5 about 4days after macworld and didn't get iLife 05'

slapdash
Feb 6, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Sn1PeR:
we bought a dual 1.8Ghz G5 about 4days after macworld and didn't get iLife 05'
And I bought my G4 20" iMac about two weeks ago, didn't get it either. Looks like Apple might be shipping them out now with it, but they weren't before, to retailers or direct to consumers. Guest it's the luck of the draw as to whether or not you're going to have to shell out $20.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 07:29 PM

We all know that sometimes Apple is slow to get newly announced software (including the latest OS) into the Macs that are already shipping. If you really want the new software, wait a few weeks to guarantee it will be in the box.

All minis come with iLife 05 because Apple didn't have any in the sales channel. Other machines may not because they may have been shipped out months before Apple actually finished iLife. That's why they offer the $20 up-to-date program.

iWork does not come with any Mac, period.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules