Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which TV Tuner?

Which TV Tuner?
KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 01:44 PM

Well, my G5 PowerMac should be on the way sometime soon, and I am trying to figure something out.

I would like to get a tuner for my computer, since I am a college student, living in a dorm. My old computer is going home to my sister, so I can't use that anymore (it is a PC with a tuner card).

The products I have been looking at are ElGato's EyeTV-200, Plextor TV402U, or the AlchemyTV DVR. No matter which solution I get, I will be getting the ATI Remote Wonder II, so if it includes a remote, it doesn't matter. Both the EyeTV-200 and TV402U make use of the eyeTV software, so it's simply a hardware issue. The AlchemyTV DVR uses it's own software. I am told that in terms of TV programs for the mac, EyeTV is the way to go, is this correct?

So can anyone give me some help with this topic? I would prefer an internal card, which the AlchemyTV is, but if the external boxes are better, I would take one of those.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

slapdash
Feb 7, 2005, 02:14 PM

I've done a great deal of research on the external units over the past couple of weeks. Read numerous reviews, scanned over product promos and more, probably like you have yourself by now. My findings led me to the new eyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 for my needs. However, between the eyeTV unit and the Plextor I would definitely go with the Plextor. I was sold on it but want to run my Gamecube through my iMac so the Wonder 2 is the way for me. Otherwise the Plextor would have been hooked up right now For the lower price you're getting basically the exact same functionality, and the hardware of the Plextor is tried and true (on the PC it's the software that lets it down).

Can't speak on the internal card as I haven't looked into it, but I would stick with one of the boxes if I were in your shoes. And yeah, the eyeTV software is pretty slick.

-Q-
Feb 7, 2005, 02:28 PM

I've used the Alchemy card for over a year now and have loved it. They've constantly improved the software and I find it very usable and versatile for recording shows. And I don't have a box sitting around.

Do a search in this forum - there's a ton of info available.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 04:03 PM

I have and use an older eye-tv USB model (in the dorms like you) and it has performed well. If I was to buy a new one today I would get the eye-tv wonder usb 2.0. I also have the ati remote wonder and wanted to know why you want the second model instead of the first. I have used both and really like the smaller form of the first. A friend of mine with the wonder II did not get great range either and the only thing I liked about it was the better feel of the mouse button pad.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by slapdash:
I've done a great deal of research on the external units over the past couple of weeks. Read numerous reviews, scanned over product promos and more, probably like you have yourself by now. My findings led me to the new eyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 for my needs. However, between the eyeTV unit and the Plextor I would definitely go with the Plextor. I was sold on it but want to run my Gamecube through my iMac so the Wonder 2 is the way for me. Otherwise the Plextor would have been hooked up right now For the lower price you're getting basically the exact same functionality, and the hardware of the Plextor is tried and true (on the PC it's the software that lets it down).

Can't speak on the internal card as I haven't looked into it, but I would stick with one of the boxes if I were in your shoes. And yeah, the eyeTV software is pretty slick.
If you are planning to use a GameCube with it, then see if you can give it a try first, or buy it online (so you can send it right back and get a full refund). The problem with using these things with a console is that the conversion from analogue input to digital output (USB, Firewire, or direct via a card) can cause a display lag, this is unimportant when watching TV. But even a small lag can vary from being mildly distracting to being profoundly annoying depending on the speed of the game (it may even make some games impossible to play).

Forum Links
Forum Rules