Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help with 22" Cinema Display

Help with 22" Cinema Display
Ormnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 03:52 PM

I have a 22" Cinema Display model M8149 and I broke it yesterday. We just got a new G5 to replace an old G4 and I was adding a second video card when I droped it on top of the stock card and there was a pop sound. I damaged the stock card and Apple sent me a new one. I put it in and the card works but the 22" that was plugged into the card at the time won't power up. My other 22" works fine. It would seem to me that I blew something inside the display but I don't know if it would be the inverter board or the main board. If the display is hooked up to the computer at startup it will just make a constant long hum sound then reboot and just do that over and over. The computer works fine as long as the display is not attached. So what I was wondering is if anyone has any idea what may be wrong and also where I can get replacement parts for it. They are only worth about $400 on eBay so I don't want to pour a lot of money into it, but... it is still in excellent condition and the screen is still very clear and bright. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

sith33
Jul 27, 2005, 05:49 PM

So the computer was powered on (or at least plugged in) when you tried to install the video card (and presumably shorted something on the stockboard)?

Ormnik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 09:40 PM

Yes, the computer was plugged in but it was not on.
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules