Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Asterix (the comic)

Asterix (the comic)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 08:09 AM

I loved the comic books when i was a kid. and i just found a couple at a friends place, and started reading em again. I remember a couple of animated movies on Asterix, but i cant find em (the english versions) anywhere...

Was wondering if anyone here would have a clue of where i could get a hold of em ?

Cheers.

P.S.>> By Asterix,i am referring to the originally French comic books by Uderzo and Goscinny.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 08:17 AM

I have a lot of Asterix comics. All of mine are in English. My mom grew up reading Asterix (in French) so she wanted to get the comics for me and my brothers. Surprisingly we found a lot of comics at Barns and Nobles. If they don't have any of the comics, they will order them for you. Borders also had a good collection of them.

Good luck finding them.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 08:23 AM

OH yeah theyre great been reading them since i was a kid as well. was a collector ...i can find the books easily. Just wondering about the Asterix animated movies actually....seen em around ? i did a search on Amazon, and they have em in French, but i remember seeing them in English when i was a kid.

Cheers

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 08:29 AM

Oh..lol

I have some on DVD, but they're in French. They probably sell them in English all over Canada.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 09:29 AM

My wife has a whole bunch of the comics in her classroom (English for now, but we're looking for the Latin translations). The students love them. I haven't read them yet myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about them and I'll probably read them when I have time.

One of my wife's students is leaving the school after this year, and he got my wife the PS2 game Asterix and Obelix Kick Buttix as a sort of thank-you present. We've just started playing it, and there's no doubt it's a wonderful game for Asterix fans; it even has the voice actors from the old cartoons (or very good imitations; my wife isn't sure).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 09:34 AM

I have never seen them in the US. I guess you gotta go to special places, not just any books store.I remember them from my childhood, we used to read them all the time. Good times.

-t

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
I have never seen them in the US. I guess you gotta go to special places, not just any books store.I remember them from my childhood, we used to read them all the time. Good times.
My wife and I get them at the local comic-book store.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 10:54 AM

I have all the Asterix comics. Never got the hang of the movies.

BTW, even though Uderzo has claimed several times that the then-latest album would be the last, there's a new one out/coming out. (German translation will be out in October.)

Woot.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 11:19 AM

I read them in English as a kid. Never did see the movies though...

Over here in France it's Asterix world. There's even a theme park. The English on their website is a bit dodgy.

"Welcome on Parc Asterix website"

"Click here to discover the planning"

"Download the amazing videos (embark camera) !"

Yes, embark!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2005, 12:41 PM

I love Asterix! I always read them when I was a kid. Even bought a few of them in Chinese in Beijing, but lost them on the way home...

For the Germans here, I have a particular little pearl standing in my bookshelf: “Geh Fort”, from the ”Asterix Babbelt Hessisch” series (accompanied by the world's smallest Hessisch-German dictionary)

Millennium: They have the Latin versions of Asterix on Amazon, and probably many other places too...

ambush
Banned
Jun 21, 2005, 12:44 PM

good comics, yeah.

love tintin too

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 04:47 PM

I've been to parc Asterix, good times (although it's got nothing on EuroDisney in terms of rides/size which is to be expected)
This signature is obsolete.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 05:21 PM

I think Parc Asterix is a lot better than EuroDisney. Parc Asterix has some of the greatest rollercoasters I've ever been on... and EuroDisney is just meh.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
For the Germans here, I have a particular little pearl standing in my bookshelf: “Geh Fort”, from the ”Asterix Babbelt Hessisch” series (accompanied by the world's smallest Hessisch-German dictionary)
Yeah, those Asterix Grrman dialect editions are priceless.
I have the Asterix - Bavarian Edition. Just awesome !

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 09:12 PM

Asterix schnackt Hamburgerisch is hilarious, too.

"De Mallbüddels!"

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 09:21 PM

As much as I enjoyed Asterix (I got them all), I am a Gaston Lagaffe person.

translation: "Calm down! Calm down!"

Back to Asterix, this one is a classix!

Compare:

( Last edited by SimpleLife; Jun 21, 2005 at 09:31 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 11:48 PM

Made my way to the public library for the first time in my life, and the first book i ended up taking out was an Asterix

It feels strangely right

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2005, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
As much as I enjoyed Asterix (I got them all), I am a Gaston Lagaffe person.
Gaston...wow...memories. Asterix and Tin Tin were also a childhood staple!!

Asterix: Barnes & Noble definitely has the books....if not your local store, try the website. Also you can find on ebay for cheap.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 06:19 AM

I FOUND EM !!!! went into this video store down the street thats always been there, just more expensive than blockbuster so never frequented there. And they have em all ON DVD. That and all the Tin Tin animated movies on DVD as well.

Sweeeettttttt

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2005, 06:28 AM

The animated Asterix movies SUCK!

Well, compared to the comics, anyway.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 11, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
The animated Asterix movies SUCK! Well, compared to the comics, anyway.
Agreed, never liked the movies either.

That being said, amazon UK sells a bunch of Asterix DVDs (region 2 & PAL, of course) and amazon US has a few as well - mostly original French versions with English subs.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 09:17 AM

I liked em both the only problem with the movies is the fact that they are dubbed over but its still cool to see the comics animated.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:32 AM

I found Tintin and Asterix movies at Planet M in India. The Tintin movies are so boring. The Asterix ones are a little bit better than the Tintin ones though. Oh well.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
Agreed, never liked the movies either.

That being said, amazon UK sells a bunch of Asterix DVDs (region 2 & PAL, of course) and amazon US has a few as well - mostly original French versions with English subs.
The movies are actually pretty danm funny in French. There is though a lot of plays on words which probably don't translate too well.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
I found Tintin and Asterix movies at Planet M in India. The Tintin movies are so boring. The Asterix ones are a little bit better than the Tintin ones though. Oh well.
Yeah i was in India over Christmas 2004 and saw them at a huge DVD store, which actually jogged my memory and got me looking up Asterix and Tintin after so long. Like id seen the Asterix and Tintin movie as a kid, but thats when i first saw em on DVD. Im pleasantly surprised that one of my local video stores here down under has em all.

I guess the problem we have is the same with any books being turned into movies, luckily i read the books and watched the movies at roughly the same time, so when i read the books i picture the characters moving the way i saw them in the movies. And im sure there are things that are lost in translation.

P.S>> Something i whipped up in PS7 ..... click to download (1152X768, 104KB)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 11, 2005 at 01:06 PM. )

Sven G
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 01:16 PM

BTW, speaking also of Tintin, there is a complete "amateur" version, in French, of Hergé's last work, Tintin et l'alph-art, here (click on the picture):

It's always funny and interesting to re-read all the Tintin and Asterix albums, anyway...
( Last edited by Sven G; Sep 11, 2005 at 01:22 PM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 01:32 PM

I had all the Asterix books in Finnish. When I was really small, I thought the Gauls were Finnish...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Timo
I had all the Asterix books in Finnish. When I was really small, I thought the Gauls were Finnish...
And the maps of Gaul that are in nearly every one of them—that was the northwest of Finland as well?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 05:08 PM

^^^The map looked enough like SW Finland to me. Upside down.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 01:07 AM

Most of the movies are weak, but the 12 Tasks of Asterix is great. I grew up watching it before I even knew about the comics. I've read them in German, but not in English, and I don't know French either. C'est la vi.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 07:23 AM

"Boars are common property, just like Romans!"

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 07:46 AM

I have all the Asterix comics. Never got the hang of the movies.

BTW, even though Uderzo has claimed several times that the then-latest album would be the last, there's a new one out/coming out. (German translation will be out in October.)

Woot.

So amazing that Asterix is still being published and that by the original author!!

I have a few books since I was a kid. I liked the Asterix and Cleopatra animated movie.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 08:38 AM

hehe...i just rented out Asterix in Britain and Asterix and Cleopatra(never seen before). Asterix in Britain was great...good animation and adaptation into the medium. I found Asterix & Cleopatra rather.....unpolished and lacking. But it did come out in 1965 !!! either way...it's an Asterix movie.

I had 12 Asterix books as a kid..i think theyre still at my parents home. Got the chance to read "Asterix & Obelix all out at sea"....i think its one of the newer ones...it was "okay" at best.

Cheers

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 10:19 AM

i loved those books!

albert uderzo [the illustrator] is a feckin artisitc genius. i remember having a load of those asterix books when i was a kid and later as a teenager poring over the illustrations and trying [vainly!] to learn to draw like uderzo, while i was studying art. i also got a few asterix books in spanish when i was studying that at school. [sigh!] i wonder what happened to them all?

damn! - now all this nostalgia has put me in the mood to go on ebay and see if i can find a couple!

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 12:48 PM

The title of the next Asterix album (n. 33) has been revealed, some days ago: in English, it will be The Falling Sky...

(Se also here, here and here, for example: there are quite many Asterix sites in the web...)

BTW, Albert Uderzo seems to want to make at least another Asterix book in the future: very good!

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 11:23 AM

I find it very interest that the English community likes Asterix; but it is a shame you loose a lot about the humour when it is translated I guessed just like trying to translate Calvin and Hobbes or Dilbert.

And I am impressed that you find French history very interesting.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 05:11 PM

I first encountered Asterix in high school French class, and I still prefer them in the original language.

BTW, anyone seen the extremely x-rated 'toon parody of Tintin?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 05:34 PM

I've only ever read the English versions myself. i just loved the art of it all. character design is just amazing. Ive been reading Asterix since i was about 8-10..."Asterix and the Golden Sickel" was my first Asterix book

BTW. Just got Asterix vs Caesar (animated movie) it's really good. good voice acting and animation.

Cheers

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 05:44 PM

I have the whole Asterix (but the just recently announced) collection in Spanish. In my case, I pretty much learned reading while abusing them which explains why I bought some again later (not very careful while a child). Anyhow, they're not just a comic. It is a learning tool, a work of common sense, a vague traveling guide, a social dissertation and so much else. They remind me of my childhood. They're honest and good and are very special to me. It is a nice present for your young ones.

They're fun too.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
And I am impressed that you find French history very interesting.
I would take Asterix 'French History' with a grain of salt..

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 10:00 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Asterix is used in universities because there are a lot of historical facts in it which are fun to study. It is not just a comic book.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 10:13 AM

Asterix is used in universities because there are a lot of historical facts in it which are fun to study. It is not just a comic book.
Ah, didn't know that (about the universities): very interesting!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 01:11 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Asterix is used in universities because there are a lot of historical facts in it which are fun to study. It is not just a comic book.
Do not go to these universities. Please. The only interest in using Asterix would be to learn French maybe, but history?....

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 03:55 PM

Yes they talk in a fun way about La Gaule, Lutece, and how society was organized, they talk about the Roman conquests. Not every word is a historical fact but the bottom line is accurate. Gosziny made sure of that.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 05:30 PM

Yes they talk in a fun way about La Gaule, Lutece, and how society was organized, they talk about the Roman conquests. Not every word is a historical fact but the bottom line is accurate. Gosziny made sure of that.
There is a difference between 'the bottom line is correct' and 'it us used in universities to educate about French history'. Although that would explain a lot about wrong and naive views a lot of Americans have on the French.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 07:49 PM

I'm quite sure the stone fields of the Bretagne were entirely the result of the events described in Asterix.

But yeah. It's "Goscinny", btw. He died more than fifteen years ago.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 08:12 PM

By the by, where are Goscinny and Uderzo from ?

frates
Oct 4, 2005, 10:51 PM

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 12:14 AM

Cheers, i always assumed they were French. But for some reason my roommate thought they were Polish. go figure.

Ciao

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 01:38 AM

From the historical point of view, anyway, I think that one of the most interesting things in Asterix is the description of the Roman lifestyles and (military) organisation...

Forum Links
Forum Rules