Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Symantec Anti-Virus Subscription?

Symantec Anti-Virus Subscription?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 03:59 PM

Does NAV 10 require a yearly payment to get the virus signature update files?

Or is the subscription fee just to get the updates automatically via Live Update and we can just download them manually for free??

For example, Intego Virus Barrier seems to require a yearly subscription in order to get the virus signature updates.

Oh, and yes, I do realize that there isn't really any great need to a Mac anti-virus tool...

kman42
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 04:19 PM

Don't Symantic products have a history of causing more problems than they solve? No thanks, I'll wait until there is a real virus on the loose. Anti-virus software is always one step behind the virus writers, so until there are actual viruses to keep track of, it seems like a waste of effort. Now, if there were multiple real-world viruses (or 150,000 of them like with Windows), then I might sing a different tune. Until then, Symantic just stokes the fires in an attempt to drum up business.

kman

shiff
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 06:15 PM

I think there might be a subscription after the first year. I currently use Symantec's antivirus and have absolutely no problems with it at all.

I use my powerbook for work and exchange files with PC using clients all day long. Even though I do not have any virii on my machine; I do not want to pass on an infected file either. That is why I use antivirus protection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules