Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVI > Component Video for late Powerbook

DVI > Component Video for late Powerbook
Etnier
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2007, 04:35 AM

I want to convert the DVI video out from my M9676LL/A 15" 1.5GHz PB (ATI Mobility Radeon 9700) to component video to connect to a plasma set (all the HDMI inputs are taken).
Can anyone recommend a particular product? I was looking at these:

DATA SHEET Part #01770 DVI to COMPONENT ADAPTER ATI 6140016400
DVI to Component Video Adapter - SW-4041, $21.95

I think they're the same product. I have read online about people frying video cards with the wrong adaptor, so I'm proceeding with caution.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 06:13 AM

No idea about the two you linked to but I use Apple's own DVI - Video

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple DVI to Video Adapter

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2007, 08:14 AM

As stated in the post and its title, I'm looking for an adaptor which outputs component video and works with a late-model Powerbook. Your device outputs S-video and composite only, and "is designed to work with the DVI port on the Mac Pro (with ATI X1900 XT) MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Power Mac G5 systems only."

But thanks.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 05:53 PM

Yup, my bad! sorry - just tried it on a spare M8980 and it made my tv wobble!

Have you tired a s-video to composite adapter?

ibook_steve
Dec 10, 2007, 08:35 PM

Nivag,
I don't think you're getting it. The OP wants to go from DVI to *component* video (RGB plugs), not *composite* (yellow, red, white RCA plugs or s-video).

I've never done such a thing, but I don't see why the product links you posted wouldn't work.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shortnstout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 10:22 PM

Hi,
I have the same situation (Powerbook G4 with ATI mobility Radeon 9700) and bought this adapter you posted a link for. I cannot understand why but it DOES NOT work! I followed the directions on the site I got it from. I'm trying to go component into an HDTV. The site said to make sure you install the driver for the adapter. I went to the ATI site and they have no driver to download for a 9700. I assume there is a driver installed in our computers and you just have to install a driver if you just purchased a graphics card to install, but thought this could be a solution to this thing not working. Anyway, it doesn't work. This is the only adapter I've found in my research that I thought might work. It is a weird situation that there is no solution to this. If you find a solution to make this work, PLEASE email me at [email protected].

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2007, 09:32 AM

Wish I could help you, S&S.

I wound up using the S-video connection. It worked fine for what I needed: playback of an iTunes-purchased TV series, because the resolution of the files didn't exceed the maxiumum resolution supported by the S-video format.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 10:11 PM

I am no expert on this but I believe the issue is that the analog signal in the DVI spec is 400 MHz and the RCA RGB spec has a different frequency. Some ATI cards can detect an RBG adapter and modulate the analog signal, but I bet this is not the case with either the mobile card or Mac drivers.

When will TV's and monitors only be distinguishable by the presence or lack of a tuner?
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules