Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Change" : A political slogan that needs change

"Change" : A political slogan that needs change
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 10:45 AM

I'm watching an Obama rally on the internet and all these people are holding signs that say "Change" and "Stand for Change" and "We believe in change." Uh... Folks, it's an empty platitude. Some things need change, others don't, and more importantly: "Change to what?" It's not even a vaguely meaningful empty platitude, like "freedom" or "justice," which, though platitudes, at least convey something. Change conveys absolutely no content. Political campaigns are obviously exercises in fluff, but this is particularly cumulous.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 11:43 AM

Well! Are you FOR CHANGE ...or AGAINST IT?? Political Buzz-Speak is pretty funny though. Emotion Driven, even though it should be intellectually driven.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:19 PM

Cumulous?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 02:15 PM

Change everything so that nothing changes: seems today's world, indeed...!

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Cumulous?
Dya' like that?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 02:37 PM

I also remember the old "Let's take the country BACK" and "For Honest Government..." .

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:23 PM

I support 35 years of change.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 04:30 PM

It's kind of interesting that Obama has "change" plastered all over his signs. He seems to key in on "hope" a lot more during his speeches. So while the other candiates are trying to usurp change, he can just go along speaking the way he normally does. So you don't actually hear him saying change 5 billion times like the other candidates, but he's got his own spin on it. I dunno, it will be interesting to see how the campaigns ch...uhhhh...evolve...from here on out.

That said, it's all still buzzword soundbite swill. It's sad that our current media has forced candidates to go that route, but it's a fact of life I guess at this point.

There more to change than just shaking up the government itself. Someone needs to smack the mainstream media in the head also.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I'm watching an Obama rally on the internet and all these people are holding signs that say "Change" and "Stand for Change" and "We believe in change." Uh... Folks, it's an empty platitude. Some things need change, others don't, and more importantly: "Change to what?" It's not even a vaguely meaningful empty platitude, like "freedom" or "justice," which, though platitudes, at least convey something. Change conveys absolutely no content. Political campaigns are obviously exercises in fluff, but this is particularly cumulous.
But he--unliked the others--really does represent a change.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 08:37 AM

I couldn't agree more. Very tired slogan indeed. Thing is, I think we all agree that change is needed. I kind of liked what Guiliani had to say about "change" though... very refreshing. Crudely; "It's not enough to say change, you can have good change and you can have bad change."
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 10:16 AM

Except "change" will be a bad thing in 2012, if a (D) is elected.
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 12:53 PM

I think it's ambiguous for a reason. For me, Change means voting a woman or a black man into office. Hopefully that'll encourage other minorities to seek the presidency and offer some needed balance to this country.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 03:00 PM

Change is the platform of everyone seeking election.

Forum Links
Forum Rules