Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > $600 for Adobe Photoshop 7!! No thanks.

$600 for Adobe Photoshop 7!! No thanks.
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2002, 11:19 PM

I would love to buy photoshop 7. And I don't like the idea of pirating illegal copies. But $600 (acadmic) is just too much money. I had a computer that had photoshop 4 on it. I used it all the time until I sold the computer. Maybe I should have made a copy of it. If they'd get the price down to around a couple hundred bucks, I'd buy it. But hell, for $600 I can practically buy a new computer or an iPod or whatever.

Just my rant for the day. I know software developers need to make a buck too, but sheesh, $600 is a lot of money for 1 program.

lw

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 11:33 PM

My college bookstore has always sold the Adobe Design Collection (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) for $299, and a full educational copy of Photoshop for less. I don't see why it'd be different for this version, maybe you'd have luck checking at yours. That said, I'll probably continue using PS6 until plug-ins work in OS X.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 11:45 PM

Yes, that's a lot. I hope they'll release the limited edition soon after.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2002, 11:45 PM

the academic version is certainlyh not 600, that's the full price. The edu price will be 200 or less. Where did you get your info from ???

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 11:47 PM

It says $600 on the online Apple Store for Education. I think that's wrong, since no edu. PS in the last 4 years has been that high.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2002, 11:52 PM

Yes, I also got the academic price at the Apple store, but GK must be right, as when I signed in as a non-academic shopper, the price of Adobe Photoshop 7 remained $600.

Maybe the academic version will be around $299. That would be a little more tempting.

lw

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 11:56 PM

I have the beta of Photoshop 7..I'll be sticking with it for a while longer
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

pierce1979
Feb 26, 2002, 01:21 AM

PS 7 is $263 at my campus store.

Aqua OS X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2002, 01:40 AM

Ya, The Apple store doesn't price software properly for schools. Buy that stuff on campus.

OR, better yet, borrow the CD from your campus' IT center (you'll probably have to be at a large enough university to have current software). You might have to get the OK from teacher or something, however you'll get in on your school's site licence.

Screw paying for software.... you're a student. You shouldn't have to pay.... at least not until you can profit from using it.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 02:20 AM

Some of the software Apple sells at it Education Store is actually commerical software. Unless the product description describes the product as Academic, you're buying commercial.

Anyway, if you're school doesn't offer Academic versions of the software you need, try the following sites:

edu.com
Journey Education Marketing

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Adam Silver ]

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 26, 2002, 08:36 AM

Well, they say the upgrade pricing is $149, and I have a copy of 5.5 laying about, so that should do it I'd wager?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 12:49 PM

I just order the Adobe Web Collection 4.0 which comes with Photoshop 6.0, Illustrator 10, LiveMotion 2.0, and GoLive 6.0. I get a free upgrade to Photoshop 7.0 from Adobe (pay for shipping though). For $338.90 with shipping from www.edu.com. Not a bad price at all.
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Aqua OS X:
<STRONG>Screw paying for software.... you're a student. You shouldn't have to pay.... at least not until you can profit from using it.</STRONG>
I wish they would have used that logic on books when I was in school, or better yet for tuition. If you going to be making a profit with the software later, I believe that you can upgrade the academic version to the full retail version. May vary by company.

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>Well, they say the upgrade pricing is $149, and I have a copy of 5.5 laying about, so that should do it I'd wager?</STRONG>
I certainly hope so. That's what I'll be upgrading from too. There was no way I was going to buy 6.0.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>Well, they say the upgrade pricing is $149, and I have a copy of 5.5 laying about, so that should do it I'd wager?</STRONG>
Yep...I'm upgrading from 2.5 myself. They gave me a special case # because the serial # system has changed and they have to walk me through changing it over, apparently.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Aqua OS X:
<STRONG>Screw paying for software.... you're a student. You shouldn't have to pay.... at least not until you can profit from using it.</STRONG>
Da, comrade! Let us now get software from the Party-approved "People's Software". I hear they have an amazing 5 whole titles now! Afterwards, we can go to "The People's Ice Cream" store and try their incredible one flavor!

Forum Links
Forum Rules