Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac upgrades

iMac upgrades
shmerek
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2000, 12:57 PM

I have two questions:
1) What is the speed of the iMc hard drive 5400?
(I know this is a stupid question but I want to replace my hard drive and I can't seem to find this spec anywhere)
2) If one had installed the IMAX graphic card in the mezz slot andinstalled the proccessor upgrade by Newer Technologies would it kill the mezz slot?

ok wait three questions

3) Which version of firmware is supposed to disable the mezz slot?

... sorry four questions

4) how do you find out what firmware version you are running ?
thats it
thanks

jwild
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2000, 04:32 PM

shmerek,

I have an answer for your question #1. You can use any standard ide hard drive in your iMac. I replaced my hard drive last month with a 20gb maxtor and it has been working very well.

Sorry I cannot answer the other three. Wish I knew what the answers were to though. I am getting a new iProRaidTV in the mail soon and hopefully will also be able to scrape-up the $500 bucks for the proccessor upgrade too, but if it turns out that the proccessor upgrade disables the mezz slot then I won't.

I hoped that helped or at least the first part anyway.

smiz93
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2000, 07:25 PM

I have asked the same questions in the past and I have found the answers (I hope .)

1. The spindle speed on your hard drive is 5400 rpm. Now, in the first generation of iMacs you can put almost any speed hard drive you want. Since the fan runs all of the time, you can put a faster drive (6200 or 7200) and SHOULDN'T have to worry about the extra hheat generated by the faster drive. You want to call the company that makes thhe drive you want to put in and ask them about heat output. Unless you are extremely unlucky, you will get someone that can find out the operating temp of the drive. I know that a Maxtor Diamond series 40 Gigabyte drive will fit into a Rev A-D iMac without any major hassle. And it won't melt down your motherboard.

2. As for the upgrade to Newer's 466, that is a swapout of the daughter card that is on top of the motherboard. It really isn't much more complicated that installing RAM. And there shouldn't be any conflict w/ the mezz slot cause that is on the bottom of the motherboard. I have installed a Gamewizard card (8Mb VooDoo 2 w/ 3Dfx) and I know that there won't be a problem when I upgrade the CPU. Go to this site for a complete step by step. http://www.insanely-great.com/reviews/imaxpowr3.html

As for questions 3 and 4; I am not sure. I think that you can find that out with the system profiler. I am not sure though.....

cejones
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2000, 08:36 PM

>And there shouldn't be any conflict w/ the mezz slot
>cause that is on the bottom of the motherboard. I
>have installed a Gamewizard card (8Mb VooDoo 2 w/
>3Dfx) and I know that there won't be a problem when
>I upgrade the CPU.

Physically, there will be no conflict between the upgrade card and the mezzanine slot cards.... but realize that even Newer Technologies admits that they are not sure if the mezzanine slot cards will function properly due to their installing the newest firmware on the new cards. (remember, the Rev C and above iMacs no longer have a mezzanine slot and Apple updated the firmware to no longer support the non existing slot on those machines) So, if the new upgrade cards come with Apple's newest firmware... most likely, the mezzanine support goes with it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules