Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sega Game Gear

Sega Game Gear
[email protected]
Mar 6, 2002, 01:04 PM

I was looking to purchase a handheld TV online and remembered that 7 or 8 years ago I had a Sega Game Gear with the TV Tuner attachment. So I looked on Amazon and found out that a company called Majesco is apparently remanufacturing the Game Gears. Amazon is selling 'em for 30 bucks. I bought one. After some searching I went to www.sega-parts.com and bought a TV tuner for 50 bucks. Now I have a video game system and a TV tuner (well, I haven't got it yet).

Quote from Majesco's web site (http://www.majescosales.com/companyover.htm):

"Majesco recently signed an exclusive agreement with Sega� to re-manufacture hardware and software for the Game Gear portable unit."

It'll be interesting to see if Game Gear makes a comeback. Honestly, I like it better than Game Boy & Game Boy Advance simply because of the Backlit LCD screen and of course the TV tuner. Plus the Sega has a lot of games that aren't available for Nintendo. However, with Sega now making Sonic for Game Boy (which seems blashpemous) things are changing.

I really don't know where I'm headed with this thread...

Anyone got any Game Gear stories?

Heh...

Luke

Sosa
Senior User
Mar 6, 2002, 01:31 PM

I owned a Game Gear and loved it. Played Sonic on it, as well as a few other games. Never liked the Game Boy much. Unfortunately my Game Gear developed a problem with the connection to the power Adapter, I guess the cable was internally flayed and it would disconnect often. Now the only portable game I play is Breakout on my iPod.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 01:54 PM

shinobi for game gear was the best game ever for a portible ever... even better then pokemon

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 02:06 PM

Star Wars and NBA Jam for game gear were amazing
I managed to break my unit when i decided to get some frustration out on it.
i think i still have the small little tube-light that lights up the screen... and some other parts too.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2002, 04:16 PM

Shinobi was good and the Sonic games were good. That's about all I ever used mine for.

I didn't like the system itself very much, though. The system was too large, and the backlit screen could suck a six-pack of AA's dry in just two hours. That doesn't fit my definition of "portable" very well.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>However, with Sega now making Sonic for Game Boy (which seems blashpemous) things are changing.</STRONG>
I hear ya, strangest thing for me. Was once a hard core Nintendo fan (until NU64) then went totally Mac for games. But now that cheerios got a Game Cube going to nintendos site to see what up coming games there were and seeing Sonic! Just totally blows my mind.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 04:57 PM

theres supposed to be a TV tuner coming for the GBA. doesnt change the fact that you need to be standing about 10 ft away from the ****ing sun to see the screen, but its supposedly on its way.

[email protected]  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 05:14 PM

theres supposed to be a TV tuner coming for the GBA. doesnt change the fact that you need to be standing about 10 ft away from the ****ing sun to see the screen, but its supposedly on its way.
Ugh, a TV tuner for the GBA? That doesn't make sense. How will it look without a backlight? That'll be interesting...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 05:22 PM

the GBA has a REALLY nice screen if you have a good light source. its really hard to find one that doesnt glare so bad that it washes out that nice screen. that said, www.portablemonopoly.com is supposedly releasing some sort of kit with a special light that you install INSIDE your GBA. youll need to do a little bit of soldering, but it doesnt affect the battery life all that much. its been supposedly "in the works" since the GBA was released in the US, and no hard and fast availability for it has been stated yet, but if it is released it will probably be THE light for the GBA.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>"Majesco recently signed an exclusive agreement with Sega� to re-manufacture hardware and software for the Game Gear portable unit."

It'll be interesting to see if Game Gear makes a comeback.</STRONG>
Are they making it to the exact same specs, do you know? There's obviously a lot of room for improvement, especially in the battery life department, that wouldn't break compatibility with the games. If the Game Gear they're releasing is a new and improved version I think it would probably do pretty well.

(Shinobi was definitely the best game, btw.)

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 04:16 AM

Now if someone would only remanufacture the Atari Lynx.

FERRO
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 04:37 AM

I have a old Sega Game Gear... I couldnt get rid of the thing...

It had a really nice lcd screen and some good games, didnt want to just trash it...

Never got around to buying a TV tuner, Maybe I can make a buck of it now...

------------------------------------

� FERRO 2001-2002

� FERRO 2001-2002

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 7, 2002, 01:01 PM

yeah i still got my game gear and shinobi problem is that i think any of the bubble screen Game Gears couldn;t take the TV tuner because of some violation by the flatter screen brethren, but i may be mistaken

power drain was my only complaint with it, but if i was home or in the car, an adapter was used so it was ok

sega diffently was ahead of the game with it though, that and the nomad

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG>yeah i still got my game gear and shinobi problem is that i think any of the bubble screen Game Gears couldn;t take the TV tuner because of some violation by the flatter screen brethren, but i may be mistaken

power drain was my only complaint with it, but if i was home or in the car, an adapter was used so it was ok

sega diffently was ahead of the game with it though, that and the nomad</STRONG>
Well, in terms of ahead of the game with the Nomad, it was really just a ripoff of the TurboGrafx TurboXpress which came out a long time before the Nomad. Beautiful 16bit graphics, backlit LCD and played the same games as the full size TurboGrafx 16. And it was the same shape as the GameBoy as opposed to the oblong shape of the GameGear, Nomad, and Lynx. I still say the Lynx should have reigned supreme. California Games kept me busy for hours, and what other system could you play (drumroll please) LEFT HANDED!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 03:32 PM

The Majesco Game Gear will not work with the TV Tuner. In fact, most Sega Game Gears won't work with it. Only the early Game Gears play nice with the TV Tuner. Sega removed the feature because so few people with Game Gears bought the TV Tuner peripheral.

I bought a Game Gear about eleven years ago. Big mistake. Most of the games were Master System rejects, the battery life was terrible, and third (and first)party software support was next to nothing. The Lynx and TurboExpress died for the same reasons - except for the one about Master System rejects.

I later bought a Game Boy. Good software was plentiful (and terrible software was even more plentiful), but that little, green, non-backlit screen nearly drove me to insanity. Despite the far superior screens on later Game Boy models (Pocket, Light, Color, Advance), that little screen still hurts my eyes.

As for the Nomad. It was dead on arrival. Too big, went through six AA batteries in two hours, and Genesis software development had just about dried up by the time it was released.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2002, 12:00 AM

Does anyone remember the Turbo Express? It was the first portable gaming system that had a color screen and optional TV Tuner. I believe they cost around $350 when they were introduced back in the early 90's.

scaught said:
the GBA has a REALLY nice screen if you have a good light source. its really hard to find one that doesnt glare so bad that it washes out that nice screen. that said, www.portablemonopoly.com is supposedly releasing some sort of kit with a special light that you install INSIDE your GBA. youll need to do a little bit of soldering, but it doesnt affect the battery life all that much. its been supposedly "in the works" since the GBA was released in the US, and no hard and fast availability for it has been stated yet, but if it is released it will probably be THE light for the GBA.
I've been following this since last December. It's supposed to be released in May for $35. I'm definitely going to pre-order one for my GBA.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jcadam
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
<STRONG>Now if someone would only remanufacture the Atari Lynx.</STRONG>
The atari Lynx rocked. It was the most advanced portable until the Game Boy Advanced when Nintendo FINALLY caught up. The Lynx still has the better screen.

My Atari Lynx is dead
Several years ago, I let my fat cousin Joey play my Lynx. Of course, being the fatty that he is, he was eating a Hershey's milk chocolate bar while playing, and he fouled up all the buttons with melted chocolatey saliva funkiness.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

[email protected]  (op)
Mar 8, 2002, 04:49 AM

Yeah, so I got my Majesco Game Gear from Amazon.com. And on the box it said "Not compatible with TV Tuner." So I immediately went to the local Video Game Xchange store and made a straight up trade for an older model that DID work with my tuner (I brought it in). I also bought Super Columns and Lemmings! Now i'm sittin' pretty with TV Tuner totin' Game Gear. It ROCKS! By the way, if I recall, the VG Xchange store had an Atari Lynx in stock (or two).

The backlit screen on the GBA looked nice...might make me switch...especailly with the TV Tuner... Although I will miss hearing the "SEGA" choir on startup.

OK, for those of you that had a Game Gear, what are some games I should buy? Not crappy games...really good ones. What were your faves? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Long live this thread!

Luke
BOOMER SOONER!

Forum Links
Forum Rules