Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Locking the dock

Locking the dock
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 11:30 AM

I know you can set the dock in Parental Controls to have people Not Modify it, but the dock settings, like Magnification and the size of the dock are still accessible, the user is just not able to add or delete items. Is there a way to lock out the other settings?

I looked at Onyx too, but that seems to be only to lock the items in the dock, like the system controls.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:36 AM

There is a way, because Apple has referenced it before, I think... I also have seen it done, albeit not with magnification still available.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 11:45 AM

I know, I want Magnification and the size to stay set, so the students at my school can't adjust that. I have also tried the simple finder but that takes out ALL of the icons in the dock and I don't want that either!
( Last edited by zeebe; Sep 5, 2007 at 11:58 AM. )

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 12:45 PM

you could move the dock syspref on their account... (Prefs wouldn't work, but you need it back, it easy to do.)

I don't know how well that would work, though.

pixelbaker
Sep 5, 2007, 12:50 PM

you can download the server admin tools from apple for free and then use Workgroup manager to specify these settings and then lock them down. Maybe someone with some more mac server experience can give you some more specific info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules