Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sleep light staying on

Sleep light staying on
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 11:14 AM

Hello, I work for a school, we have a mix of computers, old CRT iMacs, new Intel iMacs and eMacs. We had a problem with one eMac recently when turning on the computer, it comes on, the Sleep Light stays on, the grey screen comes up, but that is it. I took the drive out of the computer and reformatted it in an external drive bay I have with a PPC Mac. Now when trying to install 10.4 onto the computer, I get an error saying "There were errors installing the software, please try installing again" I have tried over 5 times now, with no solution. I have reformatted the drive with disk utilities on the 10.4 DVD and still no go. The one weird thing about this computer is, the sleep light is CONSTANTLY on. So, do I have a drive problem or a mother board problem. No new RAM has been installed, and this computer ran great until I tried installing 10.4.11 on it, that is where it seems to have crashed (according to the teacher).

eMac - 1.25GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor Drive (came standard)
I believe that it was made in 2006 (at least I find 2006 on the CD/DVD Drive door)

When booted into 10.4 DVD, I can NOT verify or repair the disk, it says because the disk can not be unmounted. After 3 tries to erase, it finally let me, but still got the same message installing 10.4. It stops about 1/3 of the way during the install and says: "There were errors installing the software, please try installing again"

If it is the drive, how big of a drive can I put in it??
Thanks again for any help!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 11:29 AM

Sounds like there's at least a problem with the drive. But instead of trying to install the OS on the problem computer, why not install the OS when the drive is connected to the other computer?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the idea, one I hadn't thought of. The only problem..... getting back into the eMac, man, they are a b$%ch to get into!!! Will try that one out! So if it installs out of the eMac, then I know it is a computer error and not a drive, right?!?!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 11:43 AM

Yup. Sorry you have to go back into it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 11:46 AM

Well, I would have had to anyways if it was a bad drive....
Thanks for the answer!

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 12:29 PM

Well, it must be the drive, as I got the same message trying to install it in my external firewire drive. Looks like I need to get a new HD, anyone know if I can put a 120 GB drive in the eMac??? The only thing now, is why does the Sleep light constantly stay on??? Hopefully a new drive will fix this!
Thanks for your help Big Mac!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 12:49 PM

Haha, np, you're the one doing the work. I don't see any reason not to put in that size drive. As for the sleep light, as long as it's booting I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules