Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nikon D90

Nikon D90
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 08:37 AM

Does anyone have any information on the Mac compatibility of a Nikon D90? We are thinking of getting this camera for our home still AND video camera after seeing the video examples online. Here are some questions we have:
1. Do I need an HD SD Media Card to capture video?
2. Will it work with Mac programs like iMovie, Final Cut etc. (I know Nikon's work with iPhoto)
3. Is it worth it to have this camera for both a still AND video camera??

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 08:42 AM

I just learned of the D90. It's quite impressive that it's the first SLR to be video-capable. Certainly we'll see more models soon. I don't know much about the technical aspects yet. You may want to wait for the first reviews.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Oct 12, 2008, 09:12 AM

(1) I don't think so, at least I haven't read any mention of that. However, the compression algorithm is rather primitive (motion jpg), so any card will fill up rather quickly.
(2) You will probably want to convert the video before editing it, the D90 uses mjpeg.
(3) That's up to you, I guess.

BTW, the D90's RAW format is not yet supported by OS X. I would expect that support is added with the next point update. Of course, you can use products such as Adobe Camera RAW, if you like.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 09:31 AM

This is a vote against my idea I guess:
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC_0012.flv

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 09:37 AM

Ouch. Firmware issue perhaps?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 10:09 AM

Not sure if it is a firmware issue, but all the movies on Nikon or any other movies I have seen have been good, but they don't move very fast, and I have a 3 yr. old who moves WAY to fast.
Here are some good movie links:
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/im...90/en/d-movie/
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...plegallery.asp
Like I said, these look nice, but the action is slow, or the camera moves along slowly.

OreoCookie
Oct 12, 2008, 10:37 AM

Well, it's a dslr with an optional movie mode. It IMO excludes itself as a serious movie camera by the movie format and the size of movie files relative to the length alone.
I own a D80 and I'm very, very pleased with it. Probably the best or second-best camera I've ever owned (the other contender would be the film-based `predecessor', the F80).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks for everyone's help, we are going to go with a lower grade D model and look for a HD video camera some other time!
Thanks again!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by zeebe View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Mac compatibility of a Nikon D90? We are thinking of getting this camera for our home still AND video camera after seeing the video examples online. Here are some questions we have:
1. Do I need an HD SD Media Card to capture video?
2. Will it work with Mac programs like iMovie, Final Cut etc. (I know Nikon's work with iPhoto)
3. Is it worth it to have this camera for both a still AND video camera??
1. No, any high speed SDHC card will be fine.
2. Depends on the audio track... you may have to demux, convert the audio track to something compatible, and then remux.
3. The D90 is really weak as a video camera... doesn't even support autofocus. You'll want another camcorder for nontrivial video shooting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules