Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Damn, I've been here 10 years

Damn, I've been here 10 years (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
That would render your original statement as "your face is a pretty crappy".
Are we illiterate, Italian, or simply making it up as we go along, hippy?
You forgot about my paint censor, which is known to drop words entirely.

You probably forgot that I have a censor, I live on the edge like that, that is how I roll. Funny that you're the big bad rock guy with a pet monkey and no censor and I'm a jazz guy with one, isn't it?

Railroader
Banned
Jun 3, 2010, 07:01 PM

I joined originally on Oct 12, 1999, but I lurked and posted unregistered for about 7-8 months before that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Funny that you're the big bad rock guy with a pet monkey and no censor and I'm a jazz guy with one, isn't it?
So, what you're telling me is that people don't censor big bad rock guys but censor jazz guys? Nice.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:10 PM

You forgot about my paint censor, which is known to drop words entirely.

You probably forgot that I have a censor, I live on the edge like that, that is how I roll. Funny that you're the big bad rock guy with a pet monkey and no censor and I'm a jazz guy with one, isn't it?
I'm trying to figure out why this post exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a plausible answer

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:22 PM

So, what you're telling me is that people don't censor big bad rock guys but censor jazz guys? Nice.
No, just me, probably because I have bigger balls than you, hippy... How many MacNN censors do you have again?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:27 PM

No, just me, probably because I have bigger balls than you, hippy...
So, you're telling me that rock musicians empty their balls more often than jazz musicians, hippy?
Who would have guessed that?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:30 PM

So, you're telling me that rock musicians empty their balls more often than jazz musicians, hippy?
Who would have guessed that?
Oh no, my balls are bigger than yours full or empty. Just face it, I'm better than you at everything. Also, I have more MacNN censors than you, and you're a hippy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this post exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a plausible answer

Sometimes art just *is*.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 07:45 PM

How bout you two take your conversation in private (ooh) so the rest of us can continue to feel old.

shiff
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2010, 07:48 PM

I need to post more. I have been here for a while, read every day but rarely post as I never have anything constructive to say. Although, I see that does not stop any of you..

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 07:56 PM

We should have a "where are they now?" section.

Like...powerbook kid

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
How bout you two take your conversation in private (ooh) so the rest of us can continue to feel old.
How bout you stop trying to kill the forum with over-zealous modding?

Most in this thread are harking back to the old days when the forum was more active. You know, before you banned Zimphy, when Ca$h used to throw a wobbly about SUVs, etc., etc..

The lure of the lounge has always partly been about friendly scuffles and inane banter. Don't kill it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:01 PM

Sometimes art just *is*.
This post is art. Prove it's not.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2010, 08:01 PM

Agreed. I have no idea what all that nonsense was about, but no more of it would be no great loss.

The lure of the lounge has always partly been about friendly scuffles and inane banter.
Friendly and funny scuffles, and inane and funny banter. Random nonsense for the sake of random nonsense doesn’t count, it’s just random. And nonsense.

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Here is my contribution to remembering the "good old days". I give you the Classic Threads Thread.
Must … resist … urge. I could lose hours in that thread.

Through some random clicking, I somehow just managed to read through all 28 pages of calverson’s old pics of yourself thread. Close to classicness, though it’s nary a year old.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Agreed. I have no idea what all that nonsense was about, but no more of it would be no great loss.
Yet people most remember the 16th chapel thread. The good old days, before you lot got your jackboots on.

Friendly and funny scuffles, and inane and funny banter. Random nonsense for the sake of random nonsense doesn’t count, it’s just random. And nonsense.
Badgers and cheese, n00b, badgers and cheese.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah, this is a thread about wasting time, why do we need to mod the most effective way to waste time?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:04 PM

Yeah, this is a thread about wasting time, why do we need to mod the most effective way to waste time?
Damn this thread and its rugged good looks...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:04 PM

Friendly and funny scuffles, and inane and funny banter. Random nonsense for the sake of random nonsense doesn’t count, it’s just random. And nonsense.
Who gets to decide what is and isn't funny? What is the criteria?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Damn this thread and its rugged good looks...
I love you.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 08:14 PM

I've been thinking about a decade of MacNN Forums membership too. Hard to believe. I read MacNN for a long time before I found the Forums. The main news page used to be my first web destination of the day. Then I think the first forum I registered on was actually AppleInsider, but I was also around for their forum wipe that took out that earlier registration; as a result I didn't reregister there until 2001.

It's cool to belong to a community for that long a period of time. Of course, I wasn't as in to the community aspects back then as many people were, and I didn't take the forum personas as seriously, unless we were debating politics in the regular Lounge, which I can still recall doing with some arch nemeses. Haha, pretty funny stuff.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
And he thought his 4 cylinder S10 was faster than my SVX.
Yeah well, you use to think your Franken-iMac was more powerful than a iMac DV SE because it had a mezzanine slot.... and tribal tattoo style stickers.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2010, 09:12 PM

Oh, no...let's not start THAT discussion again. The last thing we need are more chapel-numeration-related posts (which is apparently the inevitable outcome of any discourse on the definition of art).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
And he thought his 4 cylinder S10 was faster than my SVX.
I used to get into the stupidest arguments with him, but can't remember one of them. Senility has its benefits.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 09:25 PM

Ha Ha, your art is owned by MacNN.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I've been thinking about a decade of MacNN Forums membership too. Hard to believe. I read MacNN for a long time before I found the Forums. The main news page used to be my first web destination of the day. Then I think the first forum I registered on was actually AppleInsider, but I was also around for their forum wipe that took out that earlier registration; as a result I didn't reregister there until 2001.

It's cool to belong to a community for that long a period of time. Of course, I wasn't as in to the community aspects back then as many people were, and I didn't take the forum personas as seriously, unless we were debating politics in the regular Lounge, which I can still recall doing with some arch nemeses. Haha, pretty funny stuff.
It's weird, isn't it? Ten years for me too. There is something oddly comforting in knowing that our forum personas are still alive and mostly unchanged, a sort of spirit that is always here, just waiting for a snarky reply.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010, 10:16 PM

Passed my decade without too much notice. Maybe I'll chime in at 20 years.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Looks like the forums got started in October 1999. Those are the oldest posts I've seen.

There are some earlier ones, but I think those come from the server clock being off.
It says I registered in july of 99, and I'm fairly sure thats accurate. I don't remember when the forums were opened though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 10:40 PM

How in the world were you around so early and not an administrator, Teronzhul? That's amazing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 10:59 PM

Ok, I did a more exact check of member registration dates. The earliest are a couple supposedly from 1990 - those can be discarded as errors. The earliest valid one is mkbhatia at Dec 3, 1998. Member registrations pick up in late January 1999, so that must be when the forums opened for real.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jun 3, 2010, 11:11 PM

Been around since '03 I discovered -- roughly a year and a half into owning the Indigo imac I chose as a name. 500MHz, 128MB RAM, 20gig drive, some sort of video card -- that thing was fast as hell. It's still around though it's been unused for close to a year now, but I'm sure in a crisis it would fire right up ready to hit the internet on dial-up!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 11:55 PM

Ok, I did a more exact check of member registration dates. The earliest are a couple supposedly from 1990 - those can be discarded as errors. The earliest valid one is mkbhatia at Dec 3, 1998. Member registrations pick up in late January 1999, so that must be when the forums opened for real.
Cool. We should have a MacNN History Curator.

I'd like to see a non-administrator with a January 1999 registration.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2010, 01:17 AM

How in the world were you around so early and not an administrator, Teronzhul? That's amazing.
Well I never post much. Figure most people forget that I'm here, but I am.... watching you all....

reader50
Administrator
Jun 4, 2010, 02:28 AM

I'd like to see a non-administrator with a January 1999 registration.
Some selected early registrations. None are on staff.
Code:
genevish Jan 26, 1999 SomeToast Jan 28, 1999 tonywong Feb 3, 1999 Patrick Feb 12, 1999 Kenneth Mar 11, 1999 Ca$h Oct 26, 1999 (banned) Ca$h68 Nov 15, 1999 (banned)

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Who was that other PC guy? Nimisys or something?
There was also Nite Owl. They all came by when an undisclosed member of the MacNN Seti@home team went to the Overclocker Network's forums and issued a challenge.

Did we ever get our stars back from all the posting before the database change or whatever it was that happened?

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

OreoCookie
Jun 4, 2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Cookies!
Anyone mention cookies?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 04:06 AM

Is it dedication or insanity when you've been part of a virtual community for so long?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Is it dedication or insanity when you've been part of a virtual community for so long?
Yes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 04:47 AM

Who gets to decide what is and isn't funny? What is the criteria?
Humor content, for one.

Anti-jokes were all the rage in the late 80s and early 90s, but the world grew out of them eventually.

Bad puns, though never grow stale.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 04:52 AM

Yet people most remember the 16th chapel thread. The good old days, before you lot got your jackboots on.
The 16th chapel thread was the final flaring of a dying sun.

Many of the brighter (and funnier) members had been long-since driven away by the insanity that finally became undeniable in there - and in the Poli Lounge.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 05:25 AM

Humor content, for one.

Anti-jokes were all the rage in the late 80s and early 90s, but the world grew out of them eventually.

Bad puns, though never grow stale.
Wait. Who put the Germans in charge of the humour? What strange state of affairs is this?
No, don't whine - you just essentially said that the old jokes never grow stale.

The 16th chapel thread was the final flaring of a dying sun.

Many of the brighter (and funnier) members had been long-since driven away by the insanity that finally became undeniable in there - and in the Poli Lounge.
Are we talking about the members who're funny if you like cheese jokes? Those of lifeboat ilk? They left because they didn't like their little cabal being interfered with by opinions from anyone outside their little cabal. Took their ball and went home, so to speak.

I wasn't talking that far back though. About a year, year and a half ago, thing started to get real quiet around here. Let's face it, nowadays it's like a morgue compared to three years ago.

What harm was my little banter with Bessie doing? None. You even got a jazz club clip out of it. Yet DH pops up and starts whining, with n00bMod following suit.

Can someone post a list of things which are considered funny around here, so we can stick to those? That'd be great.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 05:46 AM

This post will tell me how long I've been here. I'm too lazy to look at my account.

So now I've seen it. I missed my 10 year anniversary.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 05:55 AM

Doofy: I guess we should take our banter to the back room where we can be alone, but only if you put on your gimp suit.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 06:43 AM

Some selected early registrations. None are on staff.
Code:
genevish Jan 26, 1999 SomeToast Jan 28, 1999 tonywong Feb 3, 1999 Patrick Feb 12, 1999 Kenneth Mar 11, 1999 Ca$h Oct 26, 1999 (banned) Ca$h68 Nov 15, 1999 (banned)
Wow, that's really some amazing stuff. I wonder, is the owner of the Kenneth account ever online anymore? Or any of them on that list minus Rob? Kenneth kind of looks like a familiar account name, but maybe that's just because it's a regular person's first name. It's cool to see all the 1999 old-timers coming out of lurk-mode for this thread.

Oh and btw, since Rob has apparently done the requisite repentance to be able to have an account here again without getting banninated on sight, perhaps for old time's sake you guys should restore the original Ca$h moniker. Or is that like releasing an ancient demon?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 4, 2010 at 07:04 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 06:45 AM

Doofy: I guess we should take our banter to the back room where we can be alone, but only if you put on your gimp suit.
I think we should petition for a lounge for the lounge - a place where we can play without bothering the grown-ups.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 07:05 AM

Wait. Who put the Germans in charge of the humour? What strange state of affairs is this?
No, don't whine - you just essentially said that the old jokes never grow stale.
I figure I must be doing okay if the inherent contradictions in my post are subtle enough to require white-text response.

Are we talking about the members who're funny if you like cheese jokes? Those of lifeboat ilk? They left because they didn't like their little cabal being interfered with by opinions from anyone outside their little cabal. Took their ball and went home, so to speak.
No.

I'm talking, essentially, about this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...s-rugged-good/

I wasn't talking that far back though. About a year, year and a half ago, thing started to get real quiet around here. Let's face it, nowadays it's like a morgue compared to three years ago.
The neat thing about the Olden Days is that even back then, everything was better in the Olden Days.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 08:15 AM

I figure I must be doing okay if the inherent contradictions in my post are subtle enough to require white-text response.
See, I know you've got a good sense of humour. But I can't allow that fact to stand in the way of a joke.

The jury's out on whether that thread's funny or not. We'll have to wait for n00bMod's list of what is and isn't funny. It's the law. Apparently.

The neat thing about the Olden Days is that even back then, everything was better in the Olden Days.
You've not noticed how quiet it is around here lately?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 09:28 AM

I don't even recall lurking in, or posting in the 16th chapel thread. i've only ever seen it mentioned/talked about as "do you remember? back when... etc"

obviously i was a member, but i didn't partake in those threads.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 09:56 AM

I wonder how long I've been around.

Edit: 10 years exactly. Whoa.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 10:17 AM

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

November 27 1999 is the first archived page.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2010, 10:19 AM

I've not been here very long.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 02:23 PM

I think we should petition for a lounge for the lounge - a place where we can play without bothering the grown-ups.
I think the both of you should start your own OMGWTFBBQ forum.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules