Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What happens to iMessages when the recipient's phone is off? ...

What happens to iMessages when the recipient's phone is off? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2012, 08:53 AM

What happens to messages sent via iMessage or as text messages if the recipient's phone is off? Are they queued and resent when the phone is turned on? Or do they end up in the bit bucket?

Thanks!
Chris

P
Apr 17, 2012, 10:37 AM

If you try to send an iMessage to a phone that is not on, it will be sent as a text message, which will then be queued by the operator. I don't know how iMessage works from a computer, if it will fall back to text messages.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2012, 11:06 AM

If that's the case, how does the status of the message get tracked on the originating phone?

P
Apr 17, 2012, 01:31 PM

It doesn't. If the sending phone doesn't detect that the other phone is an iPhone and on, it will send a regular test message without any status tracking.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cold Warrior
Apr 17, 2012, 05:41 PM

What P said. You'll know it's off or otherwise unavailable (or disabled by the user) because the blue box changes to green (for sms).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2012, 05:49 PM

Why doesn't the iPhone support text message status reports the way my Sony-Ericsson k800i did back in 2006?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 28, 2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why doesn't the iPhone support text message status reports the way my Sony-Ericsson k800i did back in 2006?
Are you referring to read receipts? You can set your iPhone to send read receipts in the "Messages" setting. Of course, that requires that the recipient set their phone to send them when messages are read.

I seem to recall that you could set your phone to get delivery confirmations back when I had a T-Mobile phone way back when as well...I thought that was carrier-specific setting on the phone, and one that would cost you double (one SMS for the outbound message and one for the delivery status) but that was quite some time ago.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I seem to recall that you could set your phone to get delivery confirmations back when I had a T-Mobile phone way back when as well...I thought that was carrier-specific setting on the phone, and one that would cost you double (one SMS for the outbound message and one for the delivery status) but that was quite some time ago.
Nobody outside the US pays for receiving SMS messages. And the setting you refer to only applies to iMessage. I'm pretty sure it was a basic feature of SMS texting, regardless of carrier (I always got receive confirmation, regardless of which carrier I sent to). It's tremendously useful, because you know when you've actually reached somebody.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2012, 07:56 AM

I frequently exchange iMessages with someone who uses an iPod Touch. Apple must queue them up somehow, because even if her Touch is off when I send them, she always gets them eventually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules