Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > how well is TiVo supported on Mac today?

how well is TiVo supported on Mac today?
Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 09:29 PM

I'm looking very seriously at getting the new TiVo HD unit. I've never owned a TiVo, but I've ready a lot of great things about them - and this new $300 HD box sounds nearly perfect.

But I know that some of the extra TiVo features require you to run software on your PC, and I'm worried that Mac's aren't properly supported. I'm not 100% familiar with all the features, so help me out - but here's what I do know:

- TiVoToGo: let's you pull content from the TiVo to your computer
- video and audio file playback from computer to TiVo
- program your TiVo from your computer (might just be a web app)
- iTunes support?

I need to know if there are any limitations for using a TiVo (or two) in a pure Mac household/LAN.

Thanks in advance!
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 09:31 AM

Anyone? Bueller?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 10:00 AM

I have a Series 1 TiVo, so I don't get any of those services even if TiVo did support them. But as far as I know, here are your answers:

- TivoToGo finally did make it onto the Mac:
TiVo | TiVoToGo

- Computer to TiVo functionality is very limited, probably because, as far as I can tell, iTunes support is non-existent. You can play MP3's (Not sure about unprotected AAC) and slide shows on your TV, that's about it. Apple probably does this by design, since they have a box they can sell you to do that stuff now.

Even with my Series 1, which doesn't encypt the videp on the HD very well, it's a PITA to put video onto the TiVo, so much so that even though I hacked my Series 1 to add Ethernet, a larger HD, and shell access I haven't perfected all the steps to encode video for it.

- I'm pretty sure programming your TiVo from the computer is a web-based thing. Even if it isn't, the hacker community may have an answer for it already.

- See above, iTunes support doesn't seem to exist.

The TiVo HD looks very good to me, My Series 1 has a lifetime subscription on it so if I get a TiVo HD and keep the Series 1, my subscription on the HD goes down to $7/mo. It might be worth it, to get the ability to grab shows off if the TiVo and burn them to DVD using Roxio. And, to be able to do HD once I join the 21st century and get an HD set....

Finally, a good place to go for TiVo questions is TiVo Community - Forum Home and Store

Cold Warrior
Aug 4, 2007, 12:30 PM

Electronista | TiVo HD suffering from teething CableCARD glitches

I've read recently of some potential issues with the TiVo HD.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I read about those, too. In addition to any problems that the TiVo may have, cable companies have been fighting CableCard and may not be all that willing to support it. In my case, it doesn't matter, though: even if I can only get the channels I currently get on analog cable, I gain all the shiny new TiVo features if I get a Tivo HD.

Another big problem is Switched Digital Video, where cable companies "expand" their channel lineup by allocating more channels than can fit in a given section of their bandwidth, and dynamically allocating those channels based on who is watching what at a given time. This involves two-way communication betweeen the CableCard and the Cable infrastructure, which isn't quite there yet. My area is just experimenting with that with new channels.

I think I'll just wait until the Tivo HD gets the kinks out of it, at which time there'll probably be a rebate offer, too. Then I'll call Time Warner and explain that if they ever want me to shell out for Digital Cable, they'd better support my CableCard, because I'm perfectly happy with analog cable, and have come close to ditching the cable altogether several times now....

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 12:01 AM

I have a series 2 TiVo and am very happy with it. You can buy Toast 8 (with like a $20 rebate, so its aroun $70 or something like that) and it will let you download stuff off your TiVo (mac's version of TiVoToGo). However I would try to confirm that the new TiVos support TiVoToGo, I read that they don't... but I haven't really read much about it, so I certainly wouldn't know for sure...

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 08:37 AM

Does anyone have specific knowledge of TiVo Series 3 and CableCard support with Time Warner Cable? (I'm in Raleigh area.)

-Q-
Aug 7, 2007, 08:03 AM

The TiVo series 2 is the 'best supported' model of TiVo. I can pull video off mine using TivoDecode Manager (I'm not paying for a feature that is offered free for the windows users-I have no interest in burning DVDs, just watching things 'to go') or even *put* video onto the Tivo using VisualHub (in general, an excellent application).

Check out TiVo Community & Store to get more specific Tivo info. They have a number of Mac users that can help out as well.
( Last edited by -Q-; Aug 7, 2007 at 08:13 AM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Does anyone have specific knowledge of TiVo Series 3 and CableCard support with Time Warner Cable? (I'm in Raleigh area.)
tivocommunity.com has a large thread on CableCard support for each major cable vendor. But here's what I determined after reading most of the Time Warner thread (I have TIme Warner in Rochester, NY):

- In general, support varies widely among local franchise agencies. Some will let you pick up the cablecard yourself and self-install, some will mandate that an installer come to your house (and charge you for it). They also have widely varying rates to rent the card per month. You've gotta call your local Time Warner office and ask.

- Specific Time Warner franchises (like Austin, TX and, unfortunately, Rochester) have started investing big-time in Switched Digital Video, which means that even with the CableCard you won't get all the channels you're expecting. (In my case, however, the CC has said that they're only using SDV for new channels they add from this year forward, so I'll still get everything I want.)

- Scientific Atlanta Cablecards seem to be causing problems for TiVo HDs. Ask whose cablecards your local TW office uses. If they're not SA, then you're probably in good shape.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 08:24 AM

Okay - thanks, everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules