Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is wearing earphones bad our health?

Is wearing earphones bad our health?
LaurenceB
Banned
Aug 26, 2013, 09:22 PM

We can easily find people wearing earphones anywhere. Do you think wearing earphones is bad for our health, especially our brains? Why or why not?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2013, 09:39 PM

Headphones and earbuds worn all the time are bad. In foot traffic, they lead to not hearing the traffic and stepping out into it. You don't hear the commotion behind you and get run down by the purse snatcher, and then the officers chasing him. Not too cool.

In another way, they're very bad. Headphones and earbuds worn all the time tend to change how we perceive outside sounds, while also dulling our ability to hear what we're trying to listen to. So we crank it up a bit more... Basically, wearing any kind of headphone or earbud all the time leads to at least short term hearing loss, both in sensitivity and in clarity, and can lead to permanent hearing loss.

There are a few individuals who should wear earbuds or earphones a lot: those who are naturally hypersensitive to excessive sounds or other sensory stimuli. But these folks are few and far between, and you can almost always see them out and about with families, not wandering down the street on the way to work/school/etc. by themselves.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2013, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There are a few individuals who should wear earbuds or earphones a lot: those who are naturally hypersensitive to excessive sounds or other sensory stimuli. But these folks are few and far between, and you can almost always see them out and about with families, not wandering down the street on the way to work/school/etc. by themselves.
Where I'm from we call these types of individuals "children."

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2013, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by LaurenceB View Post
We can easily find people wearing earphones anywhere. Do you think wearing earphones is bad for our health, especially our brains? Why or why not?
I think it depends where you wear them. I would not wear them as a suppository (or in my brain, as you suggest). As a necklace they might become a choking hazard. Probably the safest and most logical place for them is in your ears, or your pocket/bag.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Where I'm from we call these types of individuals "children."
Funny thing: sensory integration disorders don't always improve with adulthood... Seriously, those kids who they found did better with the appropriate auditory stimuli are now adults that still need that help to get along in the big wide world.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules