Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP C2D arrivals please post here

New MBP C2D arrivals please post here (Page 3)
volcano
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post
Follow that MacBook Pro

Track Your Mac Here: isnoop.net universal package tracking

Gives you a more thorough follow up; and it's universal too...
I'll let you know how that works. That is, if Apple decides to ever ship my freakin' machine! I ordered it last Wednesday afternoon (10/25) and they expect to SHIP by 10/31, then hopefully arrive by the 3rd of November. This is ridiculous... my machine is a stock model too, except I opt'd for the glossy display. Argh!

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:03 AM

I hear Apple Stores sell some slightly upgraded models in addition to the standard ones. Have you seen the Apple Store carrying a 15" MBP/C2D/160 GB HD? I like the advantage of faster exchange at the local store if the disaster (ie. catastrophic Mac problems) strikes on my newly purchased Macs.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
lol, good on picking up the extra protectiveness, do you think the $100 for the .mac account is a good price? i really never used my .mac account for more then the email addy. You think your broke now? you know once you start buying extra stuff for it, it just never ends right? Next is the external monitor, then the wireless mouse, then the wireless keyboard, then theres the macstyles.com, and then a dual monitor setup, it just never ends....
I was still able to get a discounted .Mac at the store. I only got it really for the Backup software. I will probably play with some of the other features but I doubt I will be renewing after my year is up. We'll see though. i don't plan to buy too many more accessories....just the stuff I need adn will use. Extra monitors and things are way out of my league....lol.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Thunderbird
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
Being a mac user, designing on a mac, and presenting your presentations on a mac, I have to ask, why are you using powerpoint when keynote can do SO much more, and easier/better? I left the powerpoint boat with keynote v.1 and never looked back. Now, with so many import/export optio ns, there's no reason to design in powerpoint anymore. Give me a reason and I'll listen, but let me ask you this: if Steve Jobs, arguably one of the best business presenters in the world (not to mention one of the richest), trusts keynote to deliver his goods, why shouldn't you? And it's only gotten better since he released it as a commercial product.

I realize that most marketing folk work with keynote and prefer that format so they can add more of their beautifully boring charts and excel spreadsheets, but keynote can do that stuff and make it look so much better. And it will export back out to powerpoint and it will import powerpoint, so there's compatibility.

anyhoo, just wonderin'
Ah, but I wish I could... I'm one Mac user in a sea of Windows users in a big corporation. I use my personal computer to present presentations that are designed by somebody else in Powerpoint for Windows. I tried importing them into Keynote, but they are complex, and many of the slides just don't look right in Keynote after being imported. If I have to design a presentation from the ground up, I'll always use Keynote. But, workin' for the Man, I have to conform.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 10:37 AM

I took the plunge and ordered a 15" MacBook Pro with 160gb hard drive on sat.

The guy I talked to over the phone said I should have it by this Friday.
I have an estimated ship date of Nov 2 but the guy told me they were shipping sooner than that. I really hope so because I am waiting to do a few projects until the arrival of my new machine.

I almost got the glossy screen but decided against it because I do a lot of photography work and was concerned about the glare and color differences plus it added 2-3 days to the build time.

I am trying to decided what else I want to get but after spending $2500 I feel very broke but happy. (haha)

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 11:10 AM

I am well pleased with shutdown times of 8 seconds and boot up times of about 20 seconds from the time you press the on button to the time you can open an application.

But of course booting up in XP takes longer.

theyoda3
Oct 31, 2006, 11:20 AM

Ok I hear one problem. I hear a faint hissing noise at the connection of the magsafe. It is only present when the power supply is connected. Anyone else hear this?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 11:37 AM

Here we go again...

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 12:13 PM

Here's another nitpick; how to you get keystrokes to access certain items like health and weapons in games while in XP??? I would really appreciate some advice.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 12:55 PM

I found a downloadable speed test for photoshop, but since it runs under emulation the best I can do is compare Rosetta performance on the C2D to two of my other machines (also have a G3 but didn't have a calendar handy). I'd be interested to see how MBP will improve w/ universal photoshop. Any guestimates? If anyone knows of a similar test that runs native either as a stand-alone or with some type of common application please post a link.

iBook G4 933MHz 1GB RAM – 7:16
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0MHz 2.5GB RAM - 1:18
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16MHz 2.0GB RAM - 1:48 (Rosetta)
(min:sec)

Here's the link to the test:
Retouch Artists | Photoshop Speed Test

Also, the MBP is whisper quiet, cool, bright beautiful screen and seems to have none of the issues that the earlier model is notorious for.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
...I think I'll go to the apple store and check out what kinds of sleeves and software they may have.
Enjoy your new MBP. For sleeves check out the huge thread at the head of this forum.

-Allen Wicks

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 03:58 PM

Ordered the base 15" model (no upgrades) via the educational purchasing phone number; ship date is November 9th. I'm guessing maybe sooner; but either way I'm geeked.

Last Apple laptop I had was first gen 12" G4.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
I found this image within the huggggge (it's 43 pages long already!) thread regarding Core 2 Duo MBP arrivals at Mac Rumors:

You can clearly see the change.

Another 'change' people have been discussing is how the LED indicator light for the built-in iSight is now only noticeable when the light is on. There is no longer a tiny pinhole on the right hand side of the actual camera.... which is a nice touch asthetically if I do say so myself.

I hope it's easier than a Mighty Mouse to clean out those holes when they gunk up.

Or are they filled?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 05:38 PM

I just received mine! It was on my desk when I returned from lunch...

2.33ghz 2gb ram 120gb HD..... sweeeeeet.

Safari launches faster than I can blink.

more later.... if I can get it home (I need a frickin building pass and the manager went home already )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jtice View Post
It left Shanghai at noon on Friday (not sure whether that was local time or our time) and was delivered in Virginia at 10am on Monday. It went through Anchorage and Indianapolis––Anchorage being where the potential customs delay would be. It was cleared through there in 74 minutes.
That's pretty quick then. Mine has been sitting, ready to be delivered, in Shanghai for the last 2 days.

Patience is a virtue, however I can't help but feel like a kid does the night before Christmas morning.

Me = consumer whore.

thearje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:09 PM

I ordered my 17"er on 10/26. I have an arrival date estimated for 11/16. Patience...anyone else running out cuz they have to wait till then?

RJ

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
Patience is a virtue, however I can't help but feel like a kid does the night before Christmas morning.

Me = consumer whore.
Me too. I'm waiting on one of our vendors to get a quote back to me and make sure they have stock... As soon as I hear back from him (hopefully tomorrow!) I'm ordering the 15" 2.33 w/ 160gb drive, FedEX Priority overnight because I don't want to wait for it over the weekend.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 06:45 PM

Got a call from the (somewhat) local Apple Store that they have 2.33 15"ers in stock, so I'm off to get one. I kinda wanted a glossy, but they just have the Antiglare - really doesn't matter too much to me.

atc ben
Oct 31, 2006, 09:49 PM

Chalk up another order for a 2.33 15" Matte 160HD MBP. This will be my first Mac and I'm PSYCHED!

CMPosey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 09:56 PM

I see that everyone has stayed with the 2 GB RAM, just wondering, when would one consider the added expense to 3 GB worthwhile?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:12 PM

Alright - first post from the new machine - They only had Matte in stock in the Delaware Apple Store, but I'm not going to complain... the machine feels much faster, although I really haven't put it through it's paces yet. I'm backing up my PowerBook now so that I can get the data over here. I'm looking forward to trying BootCamp tomorrow!

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by CMPosey View Post
I see that everyone has stayed with the 2 GB RAM, just wondering, when would one consider the added expense to 3 GB worthwhile?
frankly, no. If i was going to need 3 gigs of ram in a machine, i'd get a macpro and do it on there, where i could have way more than 3.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
IMHO the added stick of memory, DL burner and firewire 800 as well as upclocked GPU, no whine or moo among other things made the upgrade to C2D significant enough for my purchase, but I see what you're saying. Congrats and hope you love toyin' with that laptop, Toyin!
I got my MBP C2D yesterday and went through my usual rituals (zero the drive, clean install, migration assistant).

Initial impressions. This machine is fast. To be honest, I've been running it all day alternating between Windows XP (using Parallels) and OS-X. It easily feels as fast while running XP as my wife's Macbook without Parallels running. I'm not sure what's making the difference but I suspect it's mostly the extra 1gb of RAM.

Fit and finish is great. When the lid is closed the right side closes a little tighter than the left, but it's much better than my Powerbook.

The glossy screen is gorgeous. I'm happy with the illumination and I don't have any dead pixels. No reflections in the lighting conditions I use. Compared to my Powerbook the screen can be obnoxiously bright .

This machine is so much faster than my Powerbook it's ridiculous. Rosetta applications take a little longer to launch, but feel as fast and in some cases faster than my Powerbook once running.

I performed the test.jpg radial blur benchmark from another thread and was surprised.

15" Powerbook : 1min 50 seconds
MBP C2D : 35 seconds

Heat hasn't been much of an issue. I've been running this on my lap and it's warm but easily tolerated on bare skin. Granted I'm not doing much and I'm running from the battery (trying to calibrate it), but it seems cooler than my wife's Macbook under the same conditions. The real test will be when I'm running the processor full tilt and connected to power.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
Heat hasn't been much of an issue. I've been running this on my lap and it's warm but easily tolerated on bare skin. Granted I'm not doing much and I'm running from the battery (trying to calibrate it), but it seems cooler than my wife's Macbook under the same conditions. The real test will be when I'm running the processor full tilt and connected to power.
I installed a BOINC client and have my MBP at full throttle (HD spin down off, power supply in use) - this baby gets hot, too hot for bare skin for sure, at least for my taste. Wearing thick flannel lined jeans helps. The processors indicate 152 and 154 degrees, with the HD at 98 degrees. The fans kicked in a few times and they are quite noticeable in a quiet room.

But this machine is faster than anything I've used in recent memory, desktop or portable. I'll hopefully get to do some tests tomorrow with CS2 & FCP.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CMPosey View Post
I will for sure order mine with 3 GB. For Photoshop and for Aperture even the 3 GB of RAM is limiting, and Apple's CTO RAM price is less than adding a 2 GB DIMM yourself. If one is a pro using Aperture or Photoshop IMO the additional 50% more RAM is worth it.

This is a laptop for use in the field, not for stationary usage like a desktop. But I do need to use Aperture and Photoshop, so will build a maximum graphics laptop with 2 hard drives and max RAM.

Come January I will CTO a Mac Pro with pairs of 2 GB RAM DIMMs. Probably Apple's lame 2x512 plus 4x2 GB or 2x2 GB from OWC.

Folks not doing heavy graphics for a living probably don't need the third GB of RAM.

-Allen Wicks

theyoda3
Nov 1, 2006, 02:04 AM

Yea so I think I'm just an idiot. I was saying before that there was a faint noise coming from the magsafe power adapter terminal. Though this is true, my 12" PB does the same thing. The MBP is slightly louder, but I think it's just the direct conenction to an external power source. So, nothing to worry about. If no one else hears it let me know lol, because then I'd want to make sure my magsafe won't melt or something.

On a side note, I ran Illustrator and Photoshop today on the C2D MBP and it ran really well. It didn't work the first time I installed it, but I eventually got it to work. It ran a bit faster than my 1.33 G4. It looks like Apple got everything right in terms of quality with these ones. Nice and cool, the battery life seems really good, quiet, straight cases, and some nice cosmetic improvements. I'm so happy, I always dreamed of having a 15".

and_the_dog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Folks not doing heavy graphics for a living probably don't need the third GB of RAM.
There are some other exceptions to this. Some of us in the sciences need maxed out machines, especially those of us who work in the field regularly away from our desks. I just ordered a 15" with 3gigs and 200gig drive. (I never did find good speed numbers on the 200gig vs. 160gig, so hope I don't come to regret the larger drive.) But, I agree with the premise that it's only a small fraction of people who will find 3gigs vs. 2gigs worth it at the price difference that Apple is asking.

cheers,
-Henry

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 07:14 AM

Yeah, here's another vote for science users. In my field there are codes that will fill up 3 GB RAM faster than the 'heavy graphics users' can start up Photoshop.

Consumers won't likely need more than 2 GB right now. But there are quite a few professional users that will be more than happy to install 3 GB.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 08:31 AM

I used my MBP C2D plugged into a musical keyboad via USB for live sounds using Native Instruments FM7. I notice a buzz when connecting a powered audio mixer to the ear plug; does not happen with the Powerbook. When I bypass the mixer and plug the MBP directly into powered speakers the sound goes completely away. Guess I will have to use a mechanical switcher from Radio shack unless there is a way to connect audio wirelessly or via USB?

Played a little Tomb Raider Legends with resolution one setting lower than the native 1400x900. I put quality settings to high, even anti aliazing and it looks excellent with no slowdown that I could see. What more could an occasional gamer want?

I also realized the game has a keyboard configurator in options panel. I thought I had to download some kind of software to get certain keystrokes to work in XP but it is not necessary. Now I can get health and switch weapons or use binoculars at a touch of a button on the keyboard. This laptop rocks and is proving itself to be the best on the planet considering its power, size and weight IMHO, absolutely. I'm so glad I did not go for the Vaio SZ and held out for the new C2D Macbook Pro.

yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 08:40 AM

Just got mine yesterday. 15'' bare.

So far so good! I'm a windows guy and grew up with it.

Now I just need to know where I can, *cough* get a program to 'borrow' some music.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 AM

Pushing both CPUs at 100% causes battery life to drop to about 1.5 hours :/

This is an unlikely thing to do in the real world, but fyi.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 AM

I use the free Wiretap version 1.0.0 to record anything that comes out of the laptops speakers but I am not saying I record music illegally. (cough, sniff...)

Maybe I'm catching a cold..

theyoda3
Nov 1, 2006, 10:23 AM

I know I keep changing my mind, but maybe i'm not an idiot. This sound coming from the upper left hand corner at the magsafe goes away completely when the camera is on. Also as I open apps or do anything computing wise, it will stop for a second then start. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the processor, but I suppose it could be. Am I really the only one that hears this in this kind of situation with just the adapter plugged in?

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 01:24 PM

I'm such a punk..I upgraded the shipping to two business day.......lol....and went ahead and added the applecare since I was gonna end up getting it anyway. Plus, that way, I won't forget about it. I'll prolly add the safeware once i physically get it......

Semstudent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 01:50 PM

My new machine arrived today, a day ahead of what tracking said through Fed Ex and a full WEEK ahead of when Apple said it would ship! It's charging up now (doing the proper battery protocal) and I can't wait to dig in! Mine is the 2.16gHz, 160gb (BTO) with 1 gig of ram (for now).
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 15.4", 2.16gHz
eMac 1 gHz

oeyvind
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 01:51 PM

Here's a pix of my CTO MBP that arrived on the afternoon of Nov 1.

odin, 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD

The drive is a Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 that does perpendicular recording.
( Last edited by oeyvind; Nov 1, 2006 at 02:02 PM. )

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 11:15 PM

acquisition is a free p2p app. i get all my stuff there.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 02:51 AM

It has finally shipped. I reckon I will get it sometime at the begining of next week.

Those of you who had it delivered, did it come in a larger box, or was it only the mbp box? That is, was the mbp box inside a larger box? Thanks.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:08 AM

It has finally shipped. I reckon I will get it sometime at the begining of next week.

Those of you who had it delivered, did it come in a larger box, or was it only the mbp box? That is, was the mbp box inside a larger box? Thanks.
Id also like to know this

I dont want to walk home from work with a big box with MacBook Pro written all over it.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 06:22 AM

It comes in a larger plain box with padding for protection, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danrubin/286580153/

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 06:36 AM

perfect! thanks.

TiDual
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by and_the_dog View Post
... I just ordered a 15" with 3gigs and 200gig drive. (I never did find good speed numbers on the 200gig vs. 160gig, so hope I don't come to regret the larger drive.) But, I agree with the premise that it's only a small fraction of people who will find 3gigs vs. 2gigs worth it at the price difference that Apple is asking.
I've been holding off because I also would really like to get the 200GB drive, as long as it's not way to slow. Is there no one else out there with the 200GB models? Henry: do please post some benchmarks once you get your machine.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 10:25 AM

Wahoo! My MacBook Pro has finally shipped.
I talked to Apple last night and since it didn't look like I would receive my macbook pro by Friday like I was told when I called and ordered it, the agent refunded the extra shipping charge and took a little bit off the price of the computer, (not much but every little bit helps)
Hopefully I will get it Monday.

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 12:54 PM

Mine just arrived! Fired it up and am using the Migration Assistant to copy my stuff over from my PowerBook.

smelias
Nov 2, 2006, 05:33 PM

Hi All!

I am a long time Mac user who has been sitting on an unopened MacBook Pro CD2 2.33 box for two days now wonderring if I should bite the bullet or return it. I am going on a business trip to San Diego and wanted to have a new laptop to take with me. I already have owned every laptop Apple has put out since the PowerBook 520c and have generally been very happy with them (w/ the exception of the Wallstreet model right before Prismo). My last was the 17"PB G5. After that I switched to a Dell and now have recently bought a Sony VAIO TX ultra portable. Anyway, this will be my firs Intel Mac and I have read many unpleasant stories about the previous MacBook Pro model having heat, battery life, and general quality issues. My question to you then is if you have practical experience w/ the prior MBP model, how does this new one compare, especially relating to the aforementioned concerns.

Thanks
Dual G5 2.0, PB AL 17/1Gz,PB Ti/667,iMac/800 FP,Lombard/400,Wallstreet/250, PowerPC/75,PB 520c,Centris 610
Classic II,Newton 120,Apple IIe

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
Ordered the base 15" model (no upgrades) via the educational purchasing phone number; ship date is November 9th. I'm guessing maybe sooner; but either way I'm geeked.

Last Apple laptop I had was first gen 12" G4.
Same here. Education discounts rule!

dmcnickle
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 08:46 PM

This just bites.
My MacBook Pro has cleared customs and will arrive in Indianapolis probably tonight. With my luck, it will get to Wichita tomorrow night and I will not be able to get it until Monday.

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by smelias View Post
Hi All!

I am a long time Mac user who has been sitting on an unopened MacBook Pro CD2 2.33 box for two days now wonderring if I should bite the bullet or return it. I am going on a business trip to San Diego and wanted to have a new laptop to take with me. I already have owned every laptop Apple has put out since the PowerBook 520c and have generally been very happy with them (w/ the exception of the Wallstreet model right before Prismo). My last was the 17"PB G5. After that I switched to a Dell and now have recently bought a Sony VAIO TX ultra portable. Anyway, this will be my firs Intel Mac and I have read many unpleasant stories about the previous MacBook Pro model having heat, battery life, and general quality issues. My question to you then is if you have practical experience w/ the prior MBP model, how does this new one compare, especially relating to the aforementioned concerns.

Thanks
About 8 hours in and I can say that my 15" MBP C2D has not gotten anywhere near as hot as my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 10:35 PM

Got mine on 5th ave. They have a steady supply in stock since Wednesday.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 01:40 AM

Comparisons/ PSD tests? Aperture tests?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by djpluv View Post
About 8 hours in and I can say that my 15" MBP C2D has not gotten anywhere near as hot as my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules