Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I get an iBook?

Should I get an iBook?
seventray
Jul 22, 2001, 12:02 AM

I need some help in deciding whether or not I should get an iBook. I have never owned a portable and none of my friends are Mac users (despite me explaining to them why they should switch), so I really have no one to bounce ideas off of. My dilemma is this: I don't have the cash available to me to purchase the iBook outright but I do currently own a 500 mhz Special Edition iMac. I have looked into the iBooks and I recently used one in person, with both OS 9 and OS X. Needless to say, I fell in love with it.

I am now completing my research as a Clinical Psych grad student and I hopefully will be finding full-time employment soon. The mental health agency that I am currently discussing positions with use nothing but Windows machines. I seriously doubt that they will fork out the money to purchase me a Mac to use in the office and I know that I am much more productive using the Mac OS. Plus I don't want me being a Mac user to seem like a liability to the agency. But if I were to purchase the machine myself, I'm sure they would let me use it in the office.

Therefore, I have three options. First, I could suffer through using a Windows machine for a while at work until I save the money to get the iBook. This way, I would have a desktop at home and the iBook for work and other things. This may be a good option because a better iBook may be released down the road. Or, I could sell my iMac and then purchase the iBook. The problem with this option would be that I would need to use the iBook as my primary machine. My third option would be buying an older iMac to take to work and use.

So, which option do you think is the best option for my needs? How would you go about this if you were faced with the same situation? My current iMac fulfills all of my current needs and then some. I mainly use my machine for internet access, email, word processing, spreadsheets, notes, burning CDs, pictures, very occasional iMovie, and occasional game. Is the iBook for me?

Also, how much could I expect to get from my iMac with the following:
500mhz DVD Special Edition iMac with 384 megs of RAM
AppleCare (1 1/2 years left)
Cozo swivel stand
OS X
iSub
Epson Stylus 740i (may or may not sell)
Que Drive USB 4x4x8

Thanks for any and all ideas and opinions.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: seventray ]

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 02:46 AM

If you don't have enough cash in the bank to afford an iBook, you really need to be saving money. Don't even tempt yourself by looking at new computers. Get a steady job secured first and work on living within your budget. ie. saving up at least 3 months worth living expenses, setting aside some money in an IRA or 401k plan (social security will not take care of you down the line) paying off student loans, etc.

Just use the machines provided at your job. If it's just email, spreadsheet, word processing stuff, Windows works just fine IMHO.

Your iMac is for all intents and purposes an equivalent machine to the iBook. It's a sideways move in speed (and reduced HD space) that will cost you money you don't have. Sure it's nice to have portability as an option, but it's more of a luxury not a necessity.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Gaskell ]

paterss
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 08:34 AM

All very sensible and true,
but lets just imagine you were still thinking about it...

I have just bought an iBook and my home machine is a G3/500 - so I am used to something faster...

.........but I am happy !

Email, WP and so on - also iMovie too (sometimes take its time generating the transitions etc) - but hey, look at it this way. Its robust, relatively small and does what you need.
I have seen a mac island in a windows office and from my point of view you have to be a little careful - what happens with the machine when you are not there...?
At least with the iBook you can always take it with you. Maybe later when you have more money buy an extra power supply and leave that at the office as its reasonably chunky.

The screen quality on the iBook is amazing - so bright and crips and clear - especially in X. Printed output just looks so good.
I even printed to PDF format so I could use a windoze laserprinter and all the formatting survived and it looked so good.

There will always be something faster and cheaper in a few months - but thats the way it is. Imagine buying a 466MHz two weeks ago ? Now for approx same money you can get a 733 now.

If its not going to cause money problems - I would recommend the iBook - performance for price - excellent.

And - dont forget the software that comes with it.

Just my thoughts,

Stuart
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 09:04 AM

I'm with Gaskell. Save your money right now. You're in transition, and should probably hold off on a big purchace like an iBook until you're a bit more settled. Plus you'll probably have a better idea what your needs are, and how the iBook would 'interface' at work. And while I wouldn't advise waiting for this reason, if you are waiting anyway, you never know, a faster one might come out.

Any way you go, have fun and good luck.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 10:37 AM

Seventray,

Congrats for your graduation. Now about the new iBook, it is indeed a very nice machine and you can't be happier once you get one. However, if your saving is enough to buy one get it. But if you're expecting to get a loan for it, don't bother yet. You can live without it.

PS. That being said, DO NOT APPROACH NEAR AN IBOOK. YOU WILL REGRET IT (I personally don't regret getting it but I am very sure my bank feels sorry for me after seeing all my saving fly even before you could say Quicktime ).

whodisbe
Jul 22, 2001, 10:42 AM

... but if you do get a loan for it... if you get it through apple.com, they finance. My room mate got his financed through them. His ibook was the base + airport, total of 256 MB Ram, and dvd/cdrw combo drive. His monthly payments are $67, and I beleive he'll be paying for the next 2 yrs. Just info in case you go that route, I'm not saying you should... different strokes for different folks, but you should have all the info so you can make your own decision accordingly.

seventray  (op)
Jul 22, 2001, 12:04 PM

Thank you for all of the solid advice. I didn't mean to make it sound like I am completely broke, it is just that I didn't figure a new computer purchase into my budget at this time. This is the reason that I was considering selling my iMac and I don't think I will purchase the iBook until around September. I had previously thought that I would keep my iMac until the AppleCare warranty ran out and then look into a new machine.

I was lucky enough to obtain a scholarship for my undergraduate collegiate work and I was lucky enough to obtain a stipend position that paid pretty well during my graduate work, which lowered my tuition considerably. Therefore, I was able to pay my graduate tuition so that I do not have any student loans. By working all throughout college, my girlfriend (who I plan to spend the rest of my life with) and I have managed to save approximately $50,000 that we have invested in CDs that we are seeing about a 4.5% return from. Our plan is to make the biggest purchase of our lives (house) by paying cash and saving on the interest. Also, with both of us working full-time soon, we will be able to save more money. The only debt either of us have is my car, which I can comfortably make the payments for with my current stipend work.

While I don't have the cash available to me to buy the machine today, because it is budgeted for other expenses, I could realistically get it through the options I stated above. I would not take out a loan to pay for it as I don't like the idea of debt. Now understanding that I am not completely broke, is your advice the same? Should I stick with my original plan of waiting another 1 1/2 years until my AppleCare plan runs out and then purchase a new machine or should I sell it now and put the money toward an iBook? I understand that it would be a lateral move in performance but I am quite happy with the speed of my iMac and it fulfills all of my needs.

Ryu, thanks for the congratulations. It has been 7 1/2 long years and I am happy it is coming to an end. Now if I can only make it through defense

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 12:59 PM

Seventray - Finances aside (because you're the only one who knows what your finances are like), I don't think you'll be disappointed with an iBook as your primary machine. My iBook is my primary machine. In fact, since purchasing it, I have booted my old Gateway PC up only long enonugh to format it. The iBook should be powerful enough to complete the tasks you mentioned without any problems (except I can't really comment on the iMovie part...I never use it). The only issue I *had* with the iBook was the small harddrive. But after I went through and took out the things I didn't use (including a lot of the mp3s they install for iTunes), I have about 7 GB of my hard drive left...and that's even after downloading and installing several programs of my own. And the portability is amazing! When I first got my iBook I didn't have a case for it (I do now, tho). I wanted to take it to work to show some friends, so I put it in a plastic grocery bag. Yes, yes...you heard me...a plastic grocery bag! Try doing that with an iMac

I guess to sum it all up, my iBook is my primary machine, and I couldn't be happier with it.
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2001, 01:58 PM

Let me also say congratulations on completing all that schooling, seventray! Quite an accomplishment, to be sure.

From your last post it sounds like you're not starving - and from your job (don't know about your girlfriend's) I'd think you're making a not-too-shabby paycheck. If you think you're within your means, I'd say sell the iMac and pick up an iBook. Why?

My friend bought an iMac one year ago, and he does run it through its paces quite a bit (lots of video editing and compressing) . Once he saw my new iBook, he sure fell in love with it, but is going to hold off from getting one until he enters college next year (and even then probably a PBG4) . The portability is just a godsend - and with an AirPort connection, the iBook really becomes something other than a computer, and more like an entertainment/everyday life device. Make sure to pack it with DVD - you could resell it as a portable DVD player then, and with a screen as nice as this, wow

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2001, 02:27 PM

OS X 10.1 will feature a SMB client which means you will be able to be visible in a Windows network just like any other computer and you will also be able to access (shared) network volumes.
Maybe this is a plus for you ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

seventray  (op)
Jul 22, 2001, 10:36 PM

Thanks for all of the replies but I am still unsure. I believe that I will wait another month or so before I seriously consider getting the iBook. I may then have the opportunity to purchase it outright.

Red Herring, thanks for the info. I am sure that the iBook will be a great primary machine for me too. My iMac has over a year's worth of work on it, all of my mp3s, and both OSs on it and I still have 24 gigs available (30 gig HD). Even if I do need more down the line, I could purchase a small firewire HD.

Also, thank you funkboy for the congratulations.

torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 12:03 AM

seventray, congrats! But 7 1/2 years? My god I'm in clinical psych at uga and I'm hoping to get out in 3 more years for a total of 6 Anyway, I'm using my ibook as my primary machine and I wouldn't have it any other way. For what I do, and I presume you do, you really don't need a desktop computer. There's nothing like writing reports where you choose (make sure you use white text for client's name's. That's a little trick I learned while trying to catch up on my note writing). I'm using my ibook in a totally windows/novell environment without many problems at all. All the software you'll need is available on the mac and I'm sure you'll be able to get around printing issues. Office 2001 is completely compatible with whatever software your secretaries will be using and you can have it append extensions so they don't even know that they're dealing with a file that came from a mac.

Good luck in your defense. I just used my ibook to give my master's defense and it was quite the conversation piece. But don't wait too long, otherwise you'll be thinking that you should wait just a little bit longer in case Steve-O releases a better machine in Paris (Sept. 26). My 2�.

seventray  (op)
Jul 23, 2001, 01:08 AM

torifile, thanks for the congratulations. Yeah, it has taken me 7 1/2 years, really only 7 but I am finishing up my research over the summer and that includes my undergrad work. There were a few semesters that I could only take 9 hrs because of working while also helping out my grandmother with my ailing grandfather. I don't see how anyone could do it in six though? I hope you do well. I was going to go to UGA but I decided to stay closer to home. I am the only person in my family that has gone on to college that didn't go to UGA - I'm the Carolina outcast. Still a big Dawg fan though.

Thanks for reassuring me even more that the iBook will capable of being my primary machine, especially with us having similar occupational needs. I'm sure it would be capable of handling anything else I would use it for. I think I have already started to consider the possibility that newer machines may be available before I actually need portability, but I'm not sure if I can wait.

I'd never heard of the white text trick. Our on-campus clinic always used a complex numbering system for session notes, where the master list was a locked file on a Windows machine. I think my practicum supervisors got tired of me commenting about the master file being in jeapordy with it being on a Windows machine

Forum Links
Forum Rules