Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPad coming?

iPad coming?
oeyvind
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 08:40 AM

Posted at this thread

ibchen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 04:35 AM

There is no date on this scanned news http://www.oeyvind.org/misc/iPad_rumor.jpg; therefore I cannot tell if this was written recently or long ago. I checked Inventec Applicances web site and found no iPod listed among their products?? Although I found that the �iPad/Apple PDA� portrayed in this Chinese news is very nice, I also found some negative news regarding production of �iPad.� http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0111/02.pda.php http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/22634.html

Anyway, here is part of this Chinese news. I tried my best to translate it but I am not a native English speaker. So do not expect to read a perfect English translation.

Title: Inventec Appliances has possibly received a contract from Apple (First line)
to produce a high end handheld �iPad, which may greatly benefit Inventec (second line)

Inventec Appliances has possibly received a contract from Apple for production of �MP3 players� and PDA units. The total number of �MP3 player� and PDA in the contract may exceed several millions. So far, the �MP3 player� has been successfully put on production line and available on the market, known as �iPod.� On the other hand, �iPad�, which combines the functions of a MP3 player and PDA, is under test by Inventec. The predicted available date for �iPad� is either at the end of the first quarter or at the beginning of the second quarter�[go on talking about Inventec portfolio, stock value and their past business with Compaq][jump to the fifth paragraph] ��iPad� is different from all current PDAs on the market: �iPad� uses Palm operation system, includes many functions [not mention what functions they are], and also maintains the light and compact design of iPod. However, a 10 GB hard drive within �iPad� can also be used as an external hard drive [It did not mention what connection �iPad� uese, but I hope �iPad� has Firewire.]�Therefore, �iPad� is a high-end model/Rev B model of �iPod.� �[go on talking about Taiwan computer business].

Brandon
hope "iPad" is coming

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: ibchen ]
PB G4 667, 512RAM, 30 gig HD, DVD, OSX; Palm IIIxe

geran
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2002, 09:41 AM

I hope this is true, but I dont want palmos.. I hope thay have made som work on newton os insted.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 07:36 PM

I searched all over CVS, Rite AID, Walgrenes and I could not find iPads- i looked all over the feminine products section. I'll try the supermarket, I hope it offers all night protection. It would be great if one could go swimming and horse back riding with an iPad
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2002, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
<STRONG>It would be great if one could go swimming and horse back riding with an iPad</STRONG>
I wonder if Apple would consider going back to translucency?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

prolix
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2002, 09:26 PM

i think a really cool handheld os could be developed out of osX, perhaps an embeded version or something. i know one company did this with linux and it was really cool. regardless of what they base it off, i'd buy it just b/c i know it would have better mac support than anything else out there

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by geran:
<STRONG>I hope this is true, but I dont want palmos.. I hope thay have made som work on newton os insted.</STRONG>
why because you're some guppy that is obsessed with things that died out years ago?

If apple released a unit that wasn't palm OS no one would buy it and it would flop. There is plenty of programs released for the palm OS and it's very popular.

It's like what happened to casio when they tried to make a decent priced Pocket PC using a generic operating system, no one bought it.

geran
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2002, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
<STRONG>

why because you're some guppy that is obsessed with things that died out years ago?

If apple released a unit that wasn't palm OS no one would buy it and it would flop. There is plenty of programs released for the palm OS and it's very popular.

It's like what happened to casio when they tried to make a decent priced Pocket PC using a generic operating system, no one bought it.</STRONG>
I dont agree whit you, I just dont like palm os, If i did like it I would have bought a sony pda. But I think palm os sucks... And there is a lots of apps for newton and people still develop them, not to bad for a pda that have been "dead" for ~4 years

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: geran ]

seventray
Jan 31, 2002, 08:01 AM

The iPad has been released for a couple of weeks now. You can see a press release here:
http://www.ftxs.fujitsu.com/newsarti...d=3&newsid=426

I don't believe Apple will ever release a PDA. Steve hates them and they are slowly missing the opportunity to be innovative in terms of a PDA.

wingdo
Senior User
Jan 31, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by seventray:
[QB]The iPad has been released for a couple of weeks now. You can see a press release here:
http://www.ftxs.fujitsu.com/newsarti...d=3&newsid=426
Windows CE based. D'oh!
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

seventray
Jan 31, 2002, 06:57 PM

wingdo - That's exactly how I feel.[/LIST]

Forum Links
Forum Rules