Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newton ?

Newton ?
seventray
Mar 8, 2001, 08:07 PM

I just got my Newton 120 that is replacing my Visor Deluxe. So far, it seems to be just what I've wanted. I do have one question that I hope you can help me with. Every time that I turn the Newton on it gives me this message that says my backup battery is either dead or isn't installed and that I will lose all of my information. Any idea why I am getting this message? I placed four AA batteries in the Newton and it worked fine, but it gives me this message. Thanks for any help.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2001, 12:41 AM

The back-up battery is a large hearing-aid style battery in the back. When you replace that, the message goes away. All that is is insurance should your batteries go dead, come loose, or need replacing. For the most part, though, I have found that the data remains in tact for some time without either battery. Replace it to be safe, though. And by the way, welcome to the Newton community.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

seventray  (op)
Mar 9, 2001, 12:45 AM

Thanks TimmyDee. Could you please tell me where to find the battery on the Newton and where I could purchase a new one. I looked in the handbook and it doesn't mention the backup battery or maybe I overlooked it. Thanks again.

seventray  (op)
Mar 9, 2001, 01:02 AM

Nevermind, I found it.

WL2100
Mar 9, 2001, 03:56 AM

1. Make sure you have the latest(last?) system patch installed. 2. The backup battery for OS 2.0's is to maintain the clock and date settings. No batts. then you have to reset the date and time but all info. stays intact due to use of the flash RAM. 3. Use NiMH rechargeable batts., they last a real long time!

------------------
!ooW �)
!ooW �)

seventray  (op)
Mar 9, 2001, 10:16 AM

Thanks, I'll do that. Could you tell me how to tell which OS the machine is running? TimmyDee answered a preliminary question from me about this and used the model number, which is HO131. Thanks for the help.

seventray  (op)
Mar 10, 2001, 01:22 AM

I have another question concerning my Newton. After I entered all of my contacts and numbers and go to the full list of them, only the numbers show up and I can not see the names of the individuals. Could this be related to my backup battery? I don't know what is going on. Thanks for any help you can provide.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2001, 04:42 PM

There should be an option in the prefs that allows you to sort by name, number, etc. See what that is set at.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules