Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No Classic

No Classic
Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2001, 11:11 AM

I'm a complete Mac newbie, but a NeXT and UNIX oldie. If I can get some Mac help here, maybe I can help out some others with the other stuff. I've just bought a cube and OS X. Installed 9.1 and X as described in the manual. Now I have X running fine (just had to work around a DHCP glitch), but I can't run any Classic apps. I get an error saying that the System file on my startup disk is prior to 9.1 and not supported. I guess that's the 9.0 that was on the cube when I bought it.
When I changed the Startup disk in X to the OS 9.1 Startup disk, I can reboot into 9.1. However, when I do change Startup disks in 9.1 to restart into X, I get warning messages that my Startup disk no longer has a valid System folder or Finder.
Pardon my ignorance here and help me out. How do I make the 9.1 System folder that I need to run Classic apps from within X?
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 7, 2001, 11:33 AM

Don't worry. I'm a mac oldie, and a Unix wannabe, and I'm having the exact same problem.

I started from scratch with my B/W G3. Reformatted in HFS+, installed 9.1 first, then X. Everything was working like a dream. Now (I think it was due to a kernel panic), I can't get classic to recognize my 9.1 system. I booted from the 9.1 CD and reinstalled 9.1. I can boot into 9.1. I can boot into X, but X won't recognize 9.1 as a valid system for classic to install!!!

HELP! My Classic has fallen, and can't get up!!!

I'm at my wits end here after about 14 hours of everything I could think of to do (and that was a whole lot of s**t)

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 8, 2001, 02:29 AM

Solved my problem.

Apparently, (to the best of my deductions) Classic needs Carbonlib 1.2.5, or whichever one is newest from the software update in 9.1 I did a clean install of the whole shebang, and it wasn't until I downloaded the new version of Carbonlib that Classic would recognize my 9.1 system file.

Hope this helps...

JB
-The Doctor

Gary Finley  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 02:16 PM

Many thanks. This worked for me too. I booted back into 9.1 and fetched the software updates, one of which was Carbon 1.2.5. Now when I tell 9.1 to switch to the OS X Startup disk, I don't get warnings about the Starup disk not having a proper System folder, and once in OS X the Classic environment will run as it should.

There's still a problem, mentioned in some other thread here, that my OS X networking dies when I do run Classic. Networking, esp DHCP seems to be one of the areas needing prompt attention in the first OS X bugpatch updates.
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 8, 2001, 08:37 PM

I correct myself. It's either carbonlib or the Startup Disk control panel v. 9.1.2. Either way, doing the update solved the problems.

JB
-The Doctor

Forum Links
Forum Rules