Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DHCP Misbehavin'

DHCP Misbehavin'
Waterman
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2001, 07:01 PM

Hi. I often bring my PowerBook running OS X to the libraries at my college, but all too frequently I get the error message:

"[alert] IP Configuration: The IP address ###.###.##.### is already in use by ###.###.##.### [ed: some other computer's Ethernet Adress]." or something along those lines.

If I reboot into OS 9, the 'Book simply asks for another IP address like it should and we're on our way. I talked to my college's network service people and they had no advice since they don't officially support OS X yet. Anyone know what's going on here?

Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 12:54 AM

I haven't had any luck with DHCP under OS X. Until my cable ISP agreed to give me a static address, I had to do this:

(1) Boot 9.1 under DHCP, note the IP assigned by the server
(2) Boot X, use Network Prefs to set that IP manually
(3) Rebot X using that manual IP.

Fortunately I didn't have to reboot often and have never had a crash, so this wasn't a big deal. Now that I have a static address it's no deal at all. No doubt the DHCP client will get fixed in some upgrade in the next few months. If you need it before then, do the above steps and leave your machine on (or sleeping) all the time.
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2001, 02:45 PM

I think the question is "how do I force my computer to request a new IP address from DHCP"? You get an IP address at home and keep it when you wake up at the library. If both places are running some sort of NAT then you'll likely be getting fake proxiable IP address (like 192.1.2.3).

I *think* I remember that you can force your computer to ask the DHCP server for a new IP address by creating a Network setting which has a static IP address (just for pretending, so pick anything). When you get to the library switch to the static IP and then back to the DHCP configuration. The next time you do anything which requires talking to a network DHCP will be contacted and a new IP address requested.

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules