Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where is OmniMail?

Where is OmniMail?
MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 01:26 PM

How many here would like to see Omni Group make an email client? It would compliment OmniWeb so well!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 01:35 PM

ME!!!

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 02:02 PM

If they could get it as powerful as Eudora, then I would definately consider it. Just PLEASE don't bundle a lot of other crap with it... like a newsreader.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 03:46 PM

You'll get my Eudora when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 04:02 PM

I'm content with Entourage v. X. However, competition is a good thing. If only Microsoft understood that.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 04:32 PM

Mail looks good with OmniWeb... no need for OmniMail

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2001, 05:12 PM

WHERE IS A EUDORA UPDATE? we have been on the same beta for 6 months now!!!!!

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 05:27 PM

Someone said that they had been contact with Qualcomm about it. The rep told them that they expect to release a FULL version (not another beta) within the next couple of months.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 06:04 PM

All of our applications have been created out of our own needs -- We started OmniWeb because there was no web browser (aside from prototypes like WorldWideWeb.app and Mosaic 1.0) for NeXTSTEP. We did OmniOutliner because MORE wasn't Mac OS X-native and there was nothing else like it. We did OmniGraffle so that we wouldn't have to keep an old Cube (the big black kind) around for running Diagram! on.

Personally, I think (and I imagine others at Omni would agree) that writing the software you want to use is the best way to develop good software. When you can make a personal investment in your work, the work turns out a lot better. If you're developing an app based on a list of stuff other people want, there's no personal investment in the process.

So, that's why you're not likely to see OmniMail or OmniWord anytime soon. Most of us here are pretty happy with Apple Mail or Entourage (or in some cases both), and we hardly ever do enough "serious" word processing to need something like Word or AppleWorks instead of just TextEdit.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 06:16 PM

Personally I'd like Omni to devote a handful more guys to OmniWeb exclusively. . Well. I know they're busy with a hell of a lot more too, so it's just a personal wish list.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 07:19 PM

thanks for the info Rickster,see folks not that many companies cruise these forums let alone answer most of our questions.so as soon as i can scratch some $$ i for one will be sending it to them. GO OMNI!

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 07:42 PM

I would have to agree that I would like to see the OmniGroup concentrate on the projects they currently have open. I don't see any real need at this point for an e-mail program. Eudora, Mail.app, Entourage, etc seem to be enough.

Although it would be nice to think what they can do with a mail program after the great work they've done with the browser.

However, I do think OmniGroup should make a kick ass Newsreader, since there is yet to be a good reader for OS X. A different thread I suppose for OmniNews.

MacGorilla  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 07:48 PM

Newsflash is 100% Cocoa and works really well for me as a news reader.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 08:02 PM

What is wrong with mail?

<Rex>
Dec 12, 2001, 10:48 AM

OmniMail is not a bad Idea, I would like it to be part of the browser with a drawer that opens on the side (like the bookmarks) for the messages.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2001, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
<STRONG>Personally, I think (and I imagine others at Omni would agree) that writing the software you want to use is the best way to develop good software. When you can make a personal investment in your work, the work turns out a lot better. If you're developing an app based on a list of stuff other people want, there's no personal investment in the process.

So, that's why you're not likely to see OmniMail or OmniWord anytime soon. Most of us here are pretty happy with Apple Mail or Entourage (or in some cases both), and we hardly ever do enough "serious" word processing to need something like Word or AppleWorks instead of just TextEdit.</STRONG>
Whatever the reason, the quality software you guys put out just makes us all drool for better applications of all sorts. I personally am quite satisfied with Mail. I've also been happily using (having bought licenses for all) Outliner, Graffle & OW -they've been getting me through law school. (OW even works with Westlaw, where IE chokes on the minor java navigation elements).

But OmniWord could be such a triumph!. All it would need to be was a program that combined elements of TextEdit, Outliner, and Graffle: add something that does tables and you've got yourself one hell of a little Cocoa word processor.

I know Okito Composer is out there, and it certainly is getting better and better, but the interface needs more help (the toolbar right now is not customizable e.g.)

The only other gaping hole in OS X applications right now is a decent organizer/planner program. Entourage X is no fun with all the MS bloatware, but a nice little application that could pull up Address Book for contacts, use an integrated Outliner for To-Dos, and created a decent looking Aqua calendar would be perfect. Add Palm syncing and you've got yet another Omni app I'd pay for.

Just my 2�

cpac
cpac

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2001, 05:14 PM

Rickster made me wonder (Since I've never used NeXTSTEP) are there any other cool aps, or games that were on NeXTSTEP that should be ported to the Mac?

Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2001, 10:07 PM

Elvin:

There was a lot of cool stuff under NeXTStep. NewsFlash was feature-rich and bug-free, much better than the alpha OS X versions have been so far. Probably the coolest thing never seen before NeXTStep, or since, was Taylor. Taylor.app was an editor for Postscript files. Postscript was both the printing *and* display language of NeXTs. Unlike the usual clunky process of editing the Postscript source file and re-rendering the result, Taylor.app let you do live edits to the rendered Postscript document. It would be extremely cool to have this app for OS X's pdf display language.
The DarkForest disk management tool was also pretty nifty, and there were many others. For that matter, the Workspace Manager itself put the OS X Finder to shame. Those apps were simple, powerful, and well designed. They made it easy to get things done.
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 10:21 PM

Rickster made me wonder (Since I've never used NeXTSTEP) are there any other cool aps, or games that were on NeXTSTEP that should be ported to the Mac?
Actually, I'm not the best person to ask... I'm one of a small (but ever-growing) number of Omni staff who came from the Mac side, and I never really used NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP much.

But there is one NeXTSTEP app I'd like to see enter the Aqua Age, though. One of the star developers of the NeXT era was a company called Lighthouse Design; they wrote several well-received applications, including Diagram!, which was the inspiration for OmniGraffle. They had an app called Concurrence which was sort of like OmniOutliner, sort of like OmniGraffle, and sort of like a credible alternative to MS PowerPoint for doing slides.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2001, 10:58 PM

Better to keep requesting Apple to iron out the bugs in Mail.app than have Omni start from the ground up. They fixed a good bit of the attachment problem in 10.1.1, and although Paul Marcos of macosx-talk fame has stated repeatedly that Mail.app is never going to be gaining many new features (keep it basic), the current feature list with a few outstanding bugs ironed out would go a long way.

IMHO, as always.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

<BHD>
Dec 12, 2001, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
<STRONG>

Actually, I'm not the best person to ask... I'm one of a small (but ever-growing) number of Omni staff who came from the Mac side, and I never really used NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP much.

But there is one NeXTSTEP app I'd like to see enter the Aqua Age, though. One of the star developers of the NeXT era was a company called Lighthouse Design; they wrote several well-received applications, including Diagram!, which was the inspiration for OmniGraffle. They had an app called Concurrence which was sort of like OmniOutliner, sort of like OmniGraffle, and sort of like a credible alternative to MS PowerPoint for doing slides.</STRONG>
Hmm...OmniPoint? That'd be very interesting...

MacGorilla  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2001, 12:40 PM

OmniPoint and OmniContact?? YUM
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Rickster
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 11:14 PM

Yeah, back when I had a Palm (I gave mine to our marketing weasel 'cause I don't use it anymore) I was thinking that it'd be really nice to have conduits that sync to a few different commonly-used apps instead of to one big organizer app. Sync Notes to Stickies, To Do to OmniOutliner, Mail to Mail, Addresses to Address Book, and Date Book to... some calendar app.

Too bad there's still no Palm sync for OS X...
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Myrddin Emrys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>How many here would like to see Omni Group make an email client? It would compliment OmniWeb so well! </STRONG>
Oh Ya, a mail program produced by Omni Group would be a great companion to OmniWeb and a boon to Cocoa awareness.
If at first you don't succeed then next time use a Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules