Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When hypocrites get together to saaaaaaave the world...

When hypocrites get together to saaaaaaave the world...
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 12:49 AM

Do as we say, not as we do

The first paragraph says it all:

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) - While delegates attending the World Summit wrangled over how best to save the planet's rapidly dwindling resources, they gave scant indication of leading by example.

The 10-day summit, billed as the largest U.N. conference ever held, is expected to generate between 300 and 400 tons of trash, and so far, just 20 percent of it is being recycled.
Other highlights:

Consumption barometers were erected in the summit venues, too, graphically illustrating the extent to which resources are being consumed and recycled.

Nonetheless, trash compactors erected at the back of the main conference center have been working overtime, and municipal workers have made several trips daily to empty overflowing trash containers.
Hundreds of organizations have collectively produced mountains of pamphlets, press statements and brochures, hoping to draw attention to their multitude of causes during the summit.

Organizers estimate 5 million sheets of paper will be consumed during the gathering.

The conference's 45,000 delegates are also plowing through other resources. On average each of them is using 53 gallons of water a day, and the city's electricity consumption has soared.

The legacy project also estimated that flying delegates to Johannesburg and transporting them around the city will generate nearly 300,000 tons of carbon dioxide.

Anyway, it all seems typical of the "Do as we say, not as we do" types. It's always up to everyone else to saaaaaaaaaave the planet.

Why not arrive, and show the world what the F you're even talking about? Demonstrate by example how 45,000 'oh-so-caring-and-aware' people can arrive in an area and have as little environmental inpact on the region as possible?

Rather than ream after ream of paper why now- "We've figured out new ways to distribute our infomation, and want to set an example for the world..."

Nahh. All that kind of stuff is too hard. It requires REAL solutions. Stuff these people never really have. Just talk. Just "I care more than you do."

Oh yeah, and mountains of garbage in their wake.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 08:02 AM

God, you're deep.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 09:20 AM

Considering many of those there are just govenment and corporate wanks who don't really give a **** about the environment I wouldn't call them hypocrites.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't mind attending the summit and showing them new ways to communicate. I imagine it would be quite enjoyable.

Yeah. I dunno.

Bummer.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 10:13 AM

This morning in "The Corner" - NRO's weblog - Andrew Stuttaford weighed in with this: "Colin Powell addressed the "Earth Summit" and was heckled. Robert Mugabe was greeted by cheers. That tells you all that you need to know about this grotesque carnival and the delegates who are attending it."

Yup.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 11:48 AM

I've never been to a "conference" of any kind. Do they recycle any of the hot air that gets generated?

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 08:43 PM

Oh come on... *yawn* ... since when is "humans produce trash" and "conservation conference uses natural resources to promote conservation conference" breaking news? Politicians and lobbyists are politicians and lobbyists... you can't expect anything noble from them regardless of their ideology.

Besides... only 300 to 400 tons of trash? They can do better than that! New York City produces 12,500 tons per day residential, and 13,000 tons per day commercial. Of course, on a per capita basis... those UN folks may have NYC beat.

Keep the rubber side down!

Forum Links
Forum Rules